PDA

View Full Version : Prepurchase inspection

jumbojet
05-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Can someone put together a few bulletpoints for a first time buyer of a 89 conbrio with 450 hours?

Interior is shot but engine seems strong. What is a boat like this worth?

crystal waters
05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
First impressions are often the best guide. I have an 89 combrio I purchased from original owner in 94. He was just as fussy as I am so it made it an easy decision.
Absolutely do a compression test on the motor. Check the floor for soft spots which usually indicates stringer problems underneath as they were made of wood in 89 and tend to rot if not cared for. Re the engine mounts tight -taske a wrench and test them --if the bolts are snug then the stringers may be ok but if they cannot get a bite you may have issues ! Check the electronics to ensure all gauges etc work. Of course do a water test as well. What condition is the trailer in which to me often indicates how the boat was looked after.
Don't be fooled by the hour meter--- a simple tug on the right connection under the dash can stop an hour meter from running for many years! An equal 30 second effort to reconnect and the meter is running again. Does the shape of the boat match the hours on the meter? If not , beware!
Personally I would pay a dealer to inspect the boat and give you a report on same. Best 300 you will ever spend. I did this on a malibu I had made an offer on a long time back , and discovered a cracked block as a result . I walked away!
Calculate the cost of reupholstery and any other repairs that may need doing and deduct that from a price of between 8000 and 9000 dollars, to get to your buy price.
If too much to do and too costly don' be afraid to walk away!
You will always find a nicer boat tomorrow.
As for the Conbrio----- I love mine--wouldn't part with it!
good luck

DAFF
05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Usually if the interior is bad the stringers will be much the same condition. For me a boat in that condition is worth $1500.00-2500.00 max, much depending on the condition and type of trailer.