PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery Advice

Hagman
05-15-2011, 01:48 PM
4 years ago I rebuilt my comp over the winter at that time I had the interior reupholstered . I took the boat to the shop to show the guy the job and get an estimate. He had dun 4 other jobs for in the past. At that time I told him that I had got the boat new ,this was my baby and I was going to be very picky .
When he finished I was happy with the work he had dun , paid him plus a fifty dollar bill. At the end of the first summer I noticed that the foam under the vinyl was crushing a little and the cushion were a little mess shapen also there were some brown spots on the vinyl that looked like a stain of come kind. In the spring when I took the cover off for the first time it looked like there were more brown spots than I had remembered from the fall when I had put the boat away. During my spring cleaning I scrubbed the spots with some upholster cleaner the spots came off ,unfortunately so did the color were the spots were. I took the boat over to the upholstery shop and asked for some advice . He didn’t know what it could be. These spots keep showing up they look terrible now there all over the place.
I was out on the river yesterday and a fellow at the dock saw the spots. I he said he had had the same thing happen to him. And what the problem was, the installer had used to much glue no the back side of the vinyl when putting the backing foam on. After he said that I remember watching spraying the glue on and the pattern is just how the spot look like.
I need to get this fixed .It has been 4years. What would you do? Any advice guys?

haugy
05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
This is going to be one of those diplomatic situations.

First, how good of a customer/acquaintance are you with the upholsterer?

Second, it's been 4 years. That's a tough time to really argue quality. While I agree it's obvious it's due to the glue, it's hard to go back after 4 years to debate the process. That's where your relationship with this guy will matter.

Me, knowing it's been 4 years, and the guy did do a good job on the boat, I'd tread lightly. The job was done to your satisfaction, just a little bit of bad luck with the chemical makeup of the glue. That may not be totally his fault.

I'd talk to him about, and gauge his response. I would go in knowing I'm not getting it fixed for free, but offer a suggestion of paying for the material, if he'll fix it on his dime. After that it comes down to how he reacts. If he's a schmuck about it, and doesn't apologize at all, or give a damn. Then go to someone else, get it fixed, and live and learn. Nothing more you can do.

But if shows genuine dissapointment try to work with him on a resolution that benefits both of you. You happy with your boat, and him happy knowing he's got an avid voice to continue recommending customers to him. (and mention that you have done that for him)

Good luck man.

DAFF
05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
I am sure you are not the only to have the glue issue. Go to the guy and put the blame on the glue and not on the guys work. From here you can feel him out and go from there. He might even have some advice to help ease the brown spot issues. Normally the higher quality guys stand behind there work and reputaion.... One unhappy client will quickly spread to 2000 by word of mouth !!!