PDA

View Full Version : 87 Saltare makeover nightmare

Rusty
05-15-2011, 11:07 PM
:) zys;lfkdg

wotan2525
05-16-2011, 12:54 AM
If you want my opinion -- you're somewhat at his mercy at this point. I'd let him know that you have treated him in a way that you feel is fair and that you're feeling very dissapointed right now. If you bitch at him and get negative he'll probably just drag ass even slower -- I'd approach it more as a "hey -- what can we do to get this done?"

As far as extra money -- I'd ask for a detailed accounting of where your current investment has gone. Most projects of this scale are time + materials and it's reasonable that he's gone over budget. (Depending on how much, of course.) I'd also make it clear that going forward you really need to be made aware of delays and budget issues BEFORE they become a problem instead of after.

In my mind, he is correct about not mounting the engine until the driveshaft is installed. This is how I did it and I can't imagine not having that coupler to use as a reference for where to drill the holes. I agree with him -- can't put the cart in front of the horse for that one.

But.... He should be able to install the cap, get a floor in, upholstery (which shouldn't have much to do with the anything else, anyway) and get moving.

Of course -- your last option is to tell him that you want to pick everything up and take it somewhere else since you don't feel like he can stick to deadlines or budgets. I'd consider this the last possible option. He has your money -- the best bet is going to be to try and get some work out of him. Screaming isn't going to get you anywhere, though.

Good luck!

docdrs
05-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I agree with above. But I would call skidim and find out about the drive shaft for your boat. How long to get one first. Then get him to give you a time to completion. A drive shaft is 400 tops so if you can get one in a week and he says its going to be another month then show up with one. Maybe it is a hard to get item, but at least you will know.

csuggs
05-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Rusty - I don't know who has your boat, and I know this doesn't make things any better for you, but if I understand your situation it sounds like you're experiencing similar problems that many of us have experienced when we have someone else do the rebuild. I went through a similar situation this time last year. My boat was farther along at the time, but I ended up calling the builder and telling him I was coming for a visit and I wasn't leaving without my boat. I was there 4 days . . . and did a lot of the work myself. Hang in there, and do whatever you have to do.

Kudos to you guys that did your own rebuilds and had control of your project. :cool:

Ptownkid
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
The stories on here make me want to tackle everything myself if at all possible. Seems like the boat repair/rebuild industry is one of those "it'll get done when it gets done" kinda industries...

Remind me of the deck builders hired to do my neighbours cottage. Said 6 weeks, took 6 months...i could have done it with one helper in 4 weeks.

mapleleaf
05-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Good to see everyone involved posting up in this thread..... Both sides of a story is always better. I liken this situation to a household renovation that goes past it's completion date. We're dealing with peoples largest investments and in this case funnest, so there's an added element of stress. I'd say that anytime the original scope of work is changed it immediately affects the timeline, but as I see with my customers, they still retain the original timeline in their mind.
I think your boat's gonna turn out great Rusty, but lets not forget about due process and the fact that we're never the only customer a business has. Sounds like Solid is stepping up to your needs and is happy to back it all up, would a faster job really be better? Who knows, but the right job is what I'd be looking for.....

Mani
05-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Good job, Steve. Both of these guys are stand up folks. Im glad, it's being worked out on some level.

Ptownkid
05-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm impressed at your dedication to provide so much info and detail, good on you. Makes more sense now...

Best of luck to all involved, this seems like a large and time consuming undertaking.

Cheers

Salty87
05-19-2011, 10:22 AM
great post, so nice to hear the other side. i can't imagine how much stress there is when you guys pay to get your boats rebuilt. i mean it's bad enough doing it yourself hoping it goes back together but at least the DIY'ers know exactly what's going into the rebuild, the timing of when it will be finished and whether anyone is slacking off. when you're paying someone, you're kind of in the dark to a certain extent.

why the poured foam? are you pouring foam back in at client's request or is that standard procedure? drainage is such a wonderful thing. these boats could have lasted so much longer if drainage had been considered by the factory.

sybrmike
05-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't know either party & no way I'm jumping into the middle of a situation like this, but hopefully you can both work it out to everyone's satisfaction. Usually, open communication is key & this looks like a good start.

USCG regs aside, to foam or not to foam - that is the question (and a strongly debatable personal preference). I think the Saltare exceeds the minimal length of this requirement and is exempt - but I'm not up to date on the current regulations.

Horseshoe style seating? I'd sure like to see this since it sounds like the direction I'm heading in my Salt - rear bench with rear facing chaise behind the driver (Mastercraft X-14 style)?

wotan2525
05-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Solid -- I think your response was completely appropriate and it sounds like you guys have worked on keeping Rusty happy. Hopefully Rusty feels the same way (although, I certainly don't believe that the customer is ALWAYS right.)

I guess it's worth mentioning that my rebuild missed a hundred deadlines and ended up being 2-years late. I blame my mechanic! Next time I'll pay someone to do it instead of doing it myself. ;)

Ptownkid
05-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Guys... I also want to point out. Have any of you ever had a boat builder care enough to take the time to log onto a forum and take the time to do this? This guys the real deal!

My thoughts exactly...

sybrmike
05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Glad to hear of the "group hug".

I'm with you Wot - going on 1-1/2 years & counting... Damn wannabe boat mechanic!

mapleleaf
05-20-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm coming out of a contract where, in an attempt to save money, we let the customer source some of their own materials....Here's a familiar term, NIGHTMARE.
Their project is 8 weeks over due and about to spoil an 11 yr old's b-day party. Are they willing to own up for their error's or is still our fault? If you guessed the latter you'd be right. I've got no beef with Rusty, but if the original scope was altered even a little the deadline changes, bottom line. As for those who have had trouble with their own rebuild's and rebuilder's, would it be just to keep Rusty's Nightmare title rebuild here without Solid chiming in? Absolutley not, time and time again this forum allows us to rip builders/supplier's a new one when they have a hard time doing anything in a timely fashion. Keeping it quiet would'a been awesome for who? Rusty cuz he could speak his mind with no recourse? Or Solid for not being able to defend a situation they had no idea was happening? This is an industry that is totally dependent on the economy, when it sucks so does the boat bus. So the moment it picks up we should just expect these guys to answer everybody's prayers right out of the gates?
I wouldn't expect that any us deserve to be ripped off , but how many of us have waited in line at the grocery store? What's the diff? Maybe boating is more fun and that makes us idiots I guess.....

haugy
05-20-2011, 08:48 AM
We went from group hug, to not so friendly. What just happened here?

Mani
05-20-2011, 04:40 PM
We went from group hug, to not so friendly. What just happened here?

I'm a small business owner, too, and I just want to get back to group hug. Please!?!?!

Rusty
05-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Group hug...Im in.

Salty87
05-20-2011, 06:37 PM
this thread is like a roller coaster

let's get back to boats....how about some pics??

Rusty
05-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Beer Summit, yes!! I've been keeping a case of Sam Adams Octobfest on ice since September...JUST, for the 4th July weekend! It's gonna be gooooooddd!!

Solid Motorsports
05-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm a small business owner, too, and I just want to get back to group hug. Please!?!?!

Group hugs are cool and all man, but remember you've told me about some of the clubs you attend down in Dallas for some events...:shock: J/K man...group hugs are good in these situations I suppose.:mrgreen:

I won't post pics, but will get them to Rusty as they are taken. Don't wanna cause a stink and it look like I'm trying do solicit and advertise here for free. I'm sure now that we're all aware this boat is being revamped and face lifted, and inbred with Malibu color and upholstery configuration it will be one of a kind and Rusty will probably talk and show it off more than any of us truely care to see or hear!:rolleyes: HAHA j/k

Have a good weekend all...And pray for no rain next weekend, seems every Memorial weekend in North Texas the past 7 years has been pouring rain...We have near Tsunami conditions as it is this week!!!

Rusty
05-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Heak ya! That's how I roll!!

mapleleaf
05-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Ya Hugs are good, just needed to rant a little....Builder's have feelings too!!!

back to boats.....