PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Recognize This Part?

klewis
05-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Found this in the bilge under the engine. Anyone recognize this? It seems like it was some kind of plug that had the middle cut out. Wonder if it's from manufacturing or something.

jet
05-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Side picture??

haugy
05-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Yeah, gonna need a side shot. Maybe a piece of hose that was trimmed down? I'm normally good at guessing parts, but seeing as how it looks like rubber, that could cover a lot on your engine.

Maybe an old engine mount grommet (bushing)?

DAFF
05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I would say a part of an engine mount bushing too. Have a quick look at them. It might be a piece which got away when they were rebuilt in the past. If not then plan on a fun filled afternoon wrenching..... Just make sure you don't touch the lag bolts on the stringer side of the mount!!!

klewis
05-17-2011, 12:49 AM
It's only an 08 and I'm the original owner so I know it's nothing from a rebuild, etc.

I also know it's not a piece of hose as I know what that looks like and this really looks like it was originally hole in the middle and someone cut out the middle with a pocket knife. That was why I was guessing a plug on the engine somewhere from when the engine was transported to the factory.

If you still think its a bushing or grommet of some sort let me know where I could look.

Side pictures here now. Thanks for the help.

brian6840
05-17-2011, 01:49 AM
my guess would be part of the drip-less shaft seal?

haugy
05-17-2011, 08:39 AM
my guess would be part of the drip-less shaft seal?

That looks pretty small and flexible for a shaft seal.......I think.

There's a lot of things those grommets can be used for, a pass through from one compartment to another for wire or hose so it doesn't rub. Could be a part of something that was in place in shipping the parts in before mounting the engine.

Hang on to it for a little while. Does the boat run fine? Cool fine, oil pressure good etc? Then just chalk it up to one of those wtf things. I have a drawer full of them. :D

csuggs
05-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Could be a piece of material that someone never cleaned out of the boat, or a grommet. I think the most serious thing it could be is a motor mount bushing, although I doubt you'd have the center come out of a bushing without noticing other problems. Check your motor mounts. Also, did you have any mice in the boat over the winter that may have been busy ripping something apart? You could look around the bilge and under the dash maybe . . .
Good luck.

haugy
05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Flux Capacitor, no question.

Jetlink
05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
It is used to hold one of the many muffler spokes...

jet
05-17-2011, 02:35 PM
LMAO....your gonna need 1.2 million killiwatts to start it next time. lol

haugy
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
LMAO....your gonna need 1.2 million killiwatts to start it next time. lol

Or you could just say 1.21 Gigawatts. :D lol I've never seen anyone break it down from that. Impressive.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Blinky lights fluid reservoir cap? I'm thinking the mice idea might be feasible...they like chewing those caps. Are all your blinky lights still working?

klewis
05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Funny stuff!

No defenitely not mice. I keep it garaged all winter and have noticed no signs of mice anywhere else in the garage. We dont really have a mice problem in my area that I'm aware of. I think if you saw this part in person you would agree it was cut with a knife not teeth.

As far as I know all instrustments, lights etc. are in working order. It hasnt been on the water yet for the season, but I do start it up a couple of times a winter to keep the oil moving. My kids also play in it from time to time and I saw them running the lights recently, they all worked fine.

I think I will be chalking it up to one of those WTF parts, I too have started a baggy of those!

I'm guessing it was something from manufacturing, but just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks for the ideas

haugy
05-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Rooster ring? :D Think about it.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 04:53 PM
http://captionsearch.com/pix/2rub7eoeem.jpg

Seems a little small...

docdrs
05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Looks like a round piece of rubber with a hole cut out of it to me. motor mount bushing gone wild