PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Nightmare TS6Comp

mbrts6comp
05-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Hello,

I am new to this site, and need some help. My son bought an 88 Comp pretty much in a basket, the top was black with dirt and mold, and it even had a tree growing out of the floor. I have replaced the stringers, floor, had the engine rebuilt, wetsanded, wheeled and waxed, and now need to figure out the dash wiring. The guy that had it before said that someone vandalized and smashed out all of the guages, so he unhooked all the dash wiring, and didn't mark anything. If anyone has a wiring diagram or manual in electronic format, I would greatly appreciate it. Great Site, Thanks!

Ptownkid
05-16-2011, 08:12 AM
As long as it's the original wiring, it's in the owners manual with colour coding.

http://www.supraboats.com/library/downloads/89_Comp-Conbrio_Owner_Manual.pdf

DAFF
05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Dash wiring looks much worse than it is. Mostly everything is powered by the key to a push button then to the switch or guage. lots of parallel wiring and ground wires. The manual will make it much easyer to figure out.

mbrts6comp
05-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much! This will greatly help!

Ptownkid
05-16-2011, 10:07 AM
No problem. Good luck and feel free to ask any and all questions about the wiring. Mine tried to knock me down as well, i know how you feel.

Jetlink
05-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I will echo the responses so far that the wiring for the instrument cluster can be intimidating. I also purchased a comp last year that had not been well taken care of. All sorts of electircal nightmares like three butt splices that were not properly protected from moisture on the bilge pump hanging along the bottom of the bilge. Some of the electrical system had regular toggle switches without the switch breakers and therefore no protection against a short. Found this forum, found that manual link and rewired the whole boat in a day and a half. Good luck and enjoy. Nothing quite as satisfying as getting it fixed the right way the first time.

OUI
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Here's another wiring diagram that may help. If it's too small, give me your email address and I'll send the jpg file to you.