PDA

View Full Version : Backseat removal

riveredge
05-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey all, been a while but I'm taking out my backseat to be re-upholstered, and it looks like the fuel tank has to come out. This is for the 89 Bravura, same as Mariah but closed bow. I've taken out every fastener I can find, but it seems to be holding on, right behind the tank.

If I do have to remove the tank, I'll work on the rudder while I'm there, maybe put in a grease fitting, or at least replace the packing (probably never been done)... but has anyone else been here? If I could do it without taking the tank out, that would be preferable, of course.

Okie Boarder
05-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Do you have the molded in or drop in style ski locker?

riveredge
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Do you have the molded in or drop in style ski locker?

Drop-in, thankfully

zalamander
05-16-2011, 08:20 PM
You may have to reach around the gunwales from the back. I had the same problem after I removed my ski locker and all of the screws attaching the seat from the rear it was still attached. I dont know what your config is, but my back seat had screws going from the gunwales into the arms of the back seat. Had to use a stubby screwdriver and some yoga poses to get them out. As long as the tank is empty, it's an easy job to remove/reinstall. Do you have any pics?

riveredge
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Definitely will have to reach around to get some fasteners behind the gunwales, I think I might take out the rear speakers and reach in that way for the forward ones. One I can reach from underneath, we'll see where else they appear. But yeah one is precisely behind the gas tank. So I siphoned it dry tonight and it'll come out the next time I have a free hour. Good opportunity to replace the fill hose, work on the rudder, and re-route the fuel feed and return lines, fasten them to the stringers under the gas tank, all of that fun stuff.

Will take pics if people are interested...

jimmyk102
05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Pics would be great. I would like to "get back there myself", still haven't yet. I believe that I have the "molded" (removed from the bottom side only) ski locker, sounds like a pain in the neck when I do tackle that area.

riveredge
05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Will do... at least with the two I've taken out with the molded ski locker, there weren't a whole bunch of fasteners in from behind because you couldn't get to them, by virtue of the molded ski locker, you know? But the "yoga-pose" side bolts are still inevitable, I'm sure.

The worst part with the molded-in ski locker was getting to the fill hose to replace it. Very stiff and impossible to reach, just hard to deal with in general. So easy when the ski locker just lifts out!

Salty87
05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
i'm guessing you have a bench backseat? my forearms are getting fiberglass itch thinking about it. saltares back seats are in sections so these are easy to mess with. in fact mine aren't even secured, just bolts sticking thru the gunnel walls.

devovino
05-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Good to know Salty, I am right there at this point. I will be removing the rear seats in the next few days to send them to my upholsterer. I have removed all other seats, the play pen has all been re-upholstered, I will be picking up my observers seat on Wednesday, and dropping off my Captains Chair and Motor COver. I had to rebuild all the wood for the upholsterer, they were for the most part shot! My Captains Chair were it butts against the arm rest for the throttle was rotted pretty good. At least I know they will all be new! WELL yeah, good time here! Bring the Summer Heat, I am ready!

riveredge
05-17-2011, 09:26 AM
i'm guessing you have a bench backseat? my forearms are getting fiberglass itch thinking about it. saltares back seats are in sections so these are easy to mess with. in fact mine aren't even secured, just bolts sticking thru the gunnel walls.

Mine's in two sections, too, but is probably original, still bolted with nylock nuts to the walls, and in behind the tank where I'm sure no one has ever been in this boat.

I'll probably put the nuts back in behind the walls when I re-install, but I will NOT be putting fasteners in behind the gas tank again.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Mine was only screwed to the seat base which was screwed to the floor. Mine has the drop in ski locker too and the locker was screwed to the back of the seat along with the lid. Once I removed the lid and locker and unscrewed the seat from the base I could get it out.

riveredge
05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Well, I'll find out for sure in the next few days as soon as I get a chance to pull the gas tank. I'll post a pic of where the fasteners were...

Last summer I had to swap some parts between 2 identical boats, same year, make and model, (05 nautique) and several of the fasteners were in different locations between the two. Not exactly precision manufacturing on the interior of boats in general.

riveredge
05-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Will post pics soon, but there aren't as many fasteners holding that seat in as I thought. It's just really well wedged into the base, and held in from the side by 3 bolts (each side, that is).

Couldn't remove the gas tank, pretty sure it went in before the cap went on the boat. Maybe with a LOT more twisting, but it's awfully tight, and it's about 2" wider than the opening above it, not even close.

When I removed the rudder, the packing looked fine but the rudder shaft is bent and it's cracked at the base. Time for a new one... at least now it'll steer easily at any speed!

Salty87
05-20-2011, 06:34 PM
gas tank is a tight squeeze on saltare too. have to slide it all the way to one side and stand it on end, wiggle it out. watch your fingers. filler hose is usually a killer too.

riveredge
05-21-2011, 10:20 AM
gas tank is a tight squeeze on saltare too. have to slide it all the way to one side and stand it on end, wiggle it out. watch your fingers. filler hose is usually a killer too.

Yep, fill hose was a real PITA at 23 years old it didn't want to budge.

I was able to work around the tank underneath, rather than fighting it. I'm really not confident that it could be removed, I've taken plenty of tanks out of inboards, and this really looks like it was installed before the cap.

I attached a pic of the seat's location in the boat with fasteners marked. The red ones are where I had to actually remove fasteners, the green ones I didn't really have to but they helped, and the orange (brackets that held the piece under the seat) didn't do anything. The lid to the ski locker was actually screwed into the seat backs, so that had to come out, which it was going to anyway, that was the easiest part. The nuts on the bolts through the side were not that bad to reach, but yeah there are lots of opportunities for fiberglass splinters.