PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker Suggestions?

baileed
02-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Anybody have any tower speaker suggestions?

Looking to hear the music while riding. System inside the boat is already upgraded. I have heard that you don't want speakers that are too heavy to weigh down your tower. Size? I'm thinking you're not going to hear much bass that far back, so tweeters must be important. Also, I hear aluminum tubes are lighter and the good ones are lined so that you don't get a metallic sound. And, of course, I'm not looking to spend my paycheck.

silvtongdvl
02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Bass is the problem with tower speakers - distance is the other. Basicly it breaks down like this.
If you want to hear clear music at 70 ft - expect to pay at least 1k for speakers,amps & installation kits.
High tones travel real far - so you really don't need much there - bass tones don't travel well so you need more there. I used MB Quart RCE216 compounet speakers - they only have 3/4" tweeters vs the 1 " you find in most upper level speakers, but they throw great bass.

These are for sale right now because I am building the ultimate tower speaker system. You could purchase the custom alum cans from me and add your own speakers - because I am using the same speakers for the new system - just more.

Custom cans w/ speakers = $700 w/o speakers $300
Pictures can be seen on wakeboarder website gallery under the same name.
I could send you some direct if you post your e-mail.

I have built a few different systems for me & other people. This is what I have found to be true.
~S~

02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
i'd agree with that assessment....if you want to hear it while riding, it will cost ya.

the 2 prevailing ways to achieve this are to load your tower with 6.5" car stereo speakers (or similar) or to drop a bundle on pro-audio equipment such as NVS speakers. these speakers use horns which, like concert speakers, sound great from far away and horriblly painful up close. i have no first-hand experience with them in a boat, i wonder how they sound to passengers in the back seat.

i saved the bucks and told the rider to concentrate on riding.

Salty87
02-16-2005, 01:53 PM
i'd agree with that assessment....if you want to hear it while riding, it will cost ya.

the 2 prevailing ways to achieve this are to load your tower with 6.5" car stereo speakers (or similar) or to drop a bundle on pro-audio equipment such as NVS speakers. these speakers use horns which, like concert speakers, sound great from far away and horriblly painful up close. i have no first-hand experience with them in a boat, i wonder how they sound to passengers in the back seat.

i saved the bucks and told the rider to concentrate on riding.

02LaunchSSV
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a set of B-530's and hear them fine at 70' off and 23 mph. I do know alot of others hear them too as I've already received one fine for a noise ordinance violation before noon on Sunday. I'm also running two 12's behind the drivers side
kick plate/false panel. Good luck with your decision though as others stated, clarity alone will cost you $$$$$$$.

msutoad
02-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Agreeing with what the others have said, it depends on what you want to spend. The better the sound quality and volume, the more it will cost.

I just put a set of 3way Fusions on my 04 SSV, hooked to a JL 300/2 AMP. The quality is great, and volume is amazing. Only problem is the speakers are epensive, and so is the amp.( I Love them though )

Bottom line, if you skimp up front, you will be unhappy, and will end up redoing it spending more the second time, thus wasting the money you spent in the first place.

Do some homework, check out some of the major brands out there to see what is offered.

Mako, Fusion, BOSS, etc. The list goes on and on...

Hope this helps.

flienlow
02-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi all-

I just got finished installing the system in my '01 sunsport V. I spent about 3 grand. 1000 for a skylon deafcon 3 system, and then I got an alpine 12' sub, 600w diamond audio amp for the tower speakers, and and Kenwood amp for the sub. I bought a MBquart NRA450 deck with transom remote. all of that was about $1700.
I had to special make a kick panel for the sub to mount to which goes under the helm in the usual fashion. My dealer told me just to use the carpet covered plastic piece, but that looked awful weak to me, so I reworked the whole thing out of resin covered MDF.
The system sounds great! It not going to win any competitions,but will do quite well for beer drinking and boarding. I have not been behind it yet, I venture it will be a bit hard to hear on the board.