PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Throttle Return Spring

c9403
05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Guys,

I am so close to troubleshooting my Perfect Pass. I need one person to step up and tell me where to mount a spring. My boat is a 2006 Supra Launch 21V with the Indmar 325hp Assault.

The perfect pass is surging past the set point and won't come back down, so I know it is the throttle return spring that would help do that. I can even see where the spring is busted off of the throttle arm. On the inside of the nut holding the brass "L" bracket, I can see the remains of the hook from the spring. I just can not see a good place where the spring hooked back on the motor to pull back on the throttle position sensor to move it towards neutral.

I have emails into my Supra dealer I bought from (2nd owner), Indmar and Perfect Pass was less than helpful.

Can someone tell me where to hook this spring so I can get it working?

Chris

Engine Nut
05-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Later models of the Throttle-Mate (throttle control potentiometer) were equipped with a large throttle return spring. I can't see from your photos if yours has this spring or not. I will take a photo of the spring and how it is installed when I go into work tomorrow and post them for you.

c9403
05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Engine Nut,

Thanks for the help. There is no spring on my throttle arm. I did buy a small spring the other day and I hooked one end to the "L" bracket and the other end I did a zip tie attachment to the first two spark plug wires / coil. It is working like a champ now, but I would rather have a more permanent and solid attachment point on the motor somewhere.

Chris

Engine Nut
05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Engine Nut,

Thanks for the help. There is no spring on my throttle arm. I did buy a small spring the other day and I hooked one end to the "L" bracket and the other end I did a zip tie attachment to the first two spark plug wires / coil. It is working like a champ now, but I would rather have a more permanent and solid attachment point on the motor somewhere.

Chris

Here are some pictures of the torsion spring we use on the throttle assembly now. That spring can be installed without having to remove the throttle arm so it could be retrofitted on your throttle assembly without too much trouble.

c9403
05-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Larry,

Great pics, I was not even thinking in those terms. When I thought of a spring, I was thinking in a straight line, not a torsion spring like that.

Below are pics of how I did it, it seems to be working great, I just worry about stressing out the coil / wires.

When I look at my throttle assembly I don't see the little notch in the throttle arm for the spring to catch in, I guess I could easily add a notch with a small file or dremel tool. When you say that you don't have to remove the whole throttle arm, I assume that is the larger piece, I would simply remove that small nut, slide the small arm of the potentiometer off and situate the spring under it and attach it. Can I find a spring like that at a hardware store or do I need to order from Indmar / Supra / Perfect Pass?

Thanks again for the help, I knew somebody would know exactly what I was needing!

Chris

Engine Nut
05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Larry,

Great pics, I was not even thinking in those terms. When I thought of a spring, I was thinking in a straight line, not a torsion spring like that.

Below are pics of how I did it, it seems to be working great, I just worry about stressing out the coil / wires.

When I look at my throttle assembly I don't see the little notch in the throttle arm for the spring to catch in, I guess I could easily add a notch with a small file or dremel tool. When you say that you don't have to remove the whole throttle arm, I assume that is the larger piece, I would simply remove that small nut, slide the small arm of the potentiometer off and situate the spring under it and attach it. Can I find a spring like that at a hardware store or do I need to order from Indmar / Supra / Perfect Pass?

Thanks again for the help, I knew somebody would know exactly what I was needing!

Chris

The notch in the throttle arm is really not necessary. We built them for quite some time without the notch. You do not need to or want to remove the nut on the throttle arm. The spring can be installed without removing the arm ... I did it when I took the pictures. If yoiu remove that nut you will mess up the calibration of the throttle. You might have to remove the larger bracket from where it is mounted for easier access.

The spring is an Indmar part. Ask your dealer to order one for you. The Part number is S631206-1.

c9403
05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
I looked at the pics again, now I get it. I could unhook at the brass L connector and just slide the spring down and over. I will order a spring.

Thanks again for all the help. If you are ever in Kansas City, MO, look me up, I owe you a boat ride or a cold beer or both!

Chris

Shaneo
10-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Hi guys I have this same boat and same problem, I would love to see these pics, I can't view them, maybe it's because it's an older post??
Thank you for any response...

Here are some pictures of the torsion spring we use on the throttle assembly now. That spring can be installed without having to remove the throttle arm so it could be retrofitted on your throttle assembly without too much trouble.

pridekit
10-12-2015, 12:47 PM
I can snap some pictures of the spring this weekend when I'm back near my boat. I have the return spring and was also having this issue, my buddy ended up taking apart the throttlemate assembly and cleaning it for me. It was pretty easy and had it cleaned up in about an hour. If you remove the arm that the throttle cable connects to (it has a small locking nut), then remove the screws from the back of the black sensor, you should then be able to remove the sensor and you will see a metal cylinder/rod. Clean that cylinder up with and the inside of the sensor where the cylinder spins. Pretty much clean anything that the cylinder passes through and may rub against. There is a little plastic bushing that can be cleaned as well. Once he cleaned all of the crud off that cylinder, the internal spring was more than enough (I put the external spring back anyway).

pridekit
10-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Here are the pictures

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/d5b3a165464e7550a259b1b7014947b0.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/ae254470303ca55528154b1c26c88a0c.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/19/e315d7c72a6c4df70732a2bcb1bd54f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk