PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft Support

Randy_M
05-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Our family has recently purchased an '88 Saltare that is in what we considered good shape. We are trying to clean up some items that I need some help with. The prop shaft support screws are not as tight as they should be. Is there a secret way to get to the nuts to hold them while the screws are tightened? Also, is the inside support that the nuts are on wood or metal? I found one picture on a posting that looked like it was fiberglass covered wood but if someone could confirm this it would be helpful. I would prefer to have a stainless backing plate but can't quite determine how to get to it to replace it. Any help would be appreciated.

wotan2525
05-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Very confused by both of your questions. Is the first one about the coupler or the strut?

Is the second question about the swim platform mounts? I assume they are. There are a lot of different options but it sounds like most saltares don't have an easy way to access the back sides of the swim platform bolts. You might luck out and find access holes under your gas tank but otherwise you can try threading in some slightly larger bolts or else you have to remove the gas tank and cut access holes so that you can get some nuts in there.

cadunkle
05-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I believe he's talking about the strut. On mine it has 6 screws. There is glassed in wood right above it on the inside, and then a steel plate on top of that which the strut is through bolted to. This inner plate is what the steering cable attached to right in front of the rudder. Mine is an '89 though, so they might have changed some things.

sybrmike
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking strut mount, as well. Here's a pic of my 89 Salt. You can see the glassed in plywood support with a piece of heavy aluminum angle to serve as backer for the strut bolts and mounting point for the steering clamp block. Some of the earlier boats just have a flat plate on top as the strut backer and the clamp block bolts to the side of the inner stringer.

Definitely want those bolts tight & sealed with 5200.

Randy_M
05-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Sorry I wasn't more clear but am somewhat new to the correct terms. The strut mount was what I was asking about. Looking under the floor with a mirror it appears ours is like the one shown in the picture.

Is there any way to reach this piece through the flooring (without cutting a hole) to hold a back-up on the nuts to tighten them? I also do not know about the "5200" so if someone could fill me in on that, it would be appreciated. My first thought on a sealer might be a very good RTV product so please point me in the right direction.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
The center section of your floor between the engine cover (doghouse) and the rear seat should be removable. If you remove the doghouse you can probably get it out, then you should be able to access that area easily.

Randy_M
05-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks, I will try that. I am hoping things are in good enough shape that just tightening things back up will take care of it. Is so the next step will be replacing the bushings on the shaft. Any recommendations on a good place to purchase those?

Ptownkid
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
www.skidim.com

Randy_M
05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Can someone tell me about the 5200 sealant? Also, where I can purchase it. Thanks.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Also, auto parts stores, some sporting goods stores, boating oriented stores and sometime Wal-Mart.

beast 496
05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
3M 5200 is arguabilly the best/strongest sealant you can buy. It is offered in two differant options. standard and fast set. The standard sets up in 7 days, fast set in 24 hrs. Order from West Marine, Jamestown distributers, some Ace hardware's and just about all marine supply areas. 3M 5200 is more than a sealant but also an adhesive. Al

Randy_M
05-18-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks. I will begin looking for the 5200 tomorrow.

Any hints on getting to the inside bolts for the prop strut via the rear center floor removal? I understood the comment about the doghouse removal but this boat doesn't look like that might all that is involved. Are there screws holding this floor section or sections adjacent to it? What about carpet removal without tearing up 23 year old material?

Okie Boarder
05-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Typically the removable section just sits in there and the doghouse and rear seat hold it in place. It is possible it is screwed in somewhere, as well. If you post some pictures we might be able to guide you along.