PDA

View Full Version : Surfin' no ballast

csuggs
05-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Can it be done? Has anyone successfully surfed behind a 80's Sunsport with no balast? I know that more weight equals bigger wave, and I know the shape of the wave means something as well. But what I wanna know is if it can be done with no extra ballast - maybe just a couple of large passengers in the back seat.

KG's Supra24
05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I think you are going to need some large people in the back corner if you plan on surfing without the rope.

Never tried it though.

Ptownkid
05-17-2011, 07:21 PM
If you can get a couple 200+ lb human ballast bags in the boat you should be able to...

csuggs
05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Just wondering if anyone has done it. Maybe it's a little far-fetched but sometime I'll seat a couple heavy hitters in the back and see what the wake looks like . ..

Okie Boarder
05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Try it. The worst that will happen is it won't work well. I've been trying to dial in my wave and work on my skills. Sometimes letting go of the rope doesn't work out, but I have just as much fun learning how to maneuver the board with a rope. If anything, you'll be able to do that.

Supra-in-steamboat
05-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Here is a pic of 100lbs in the rear, me on the rail driving. So maybe 250-300lbs total. We rock Wal-Mart ballast and forgot it all at home except two jugs. It was just my lady and I, third bailed. So this is the closest to no ballast photo I could dig out of the archives. Not a big wave, but the SunSport has a huge a**.

blackout00
05-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I use the WalMart blue jugs. They work pretty well. I am surfing on a 92 Supra Comp with a 5'6" liquid force board. You can cruise in it pretty well. We also have perfected leaving the swim plank and not even needing a rope. A couple of thoughts:

1. Older boats are very sensitive to where the weight is placed. My wife uses a different set up then I do as the driver weight changes.

2. You can do it with 3 people in the back but they have to set close together.

3. It is best to try earlier in the morning or evening when the lake is hopefully not to busy.

I will get videos and pics of our setup. Good Luck!

dshaff24
05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Dang.. Last year I had 600 lb fat sac.. 2 250lb friends and 2 other 180 buddies and I couldn't figure out how to wakesurf..

This year I got another 400 lb sac.. My whole problem was keeping the front of the boat down.. it acted like a i/o @ 11mph and the wave off the swim deck was like a 2-3 ft wall! For it to somewhat work the boat had to plan off @ 16mph..

For you guys wakesurfing with lil to no wait.. Mad props to you! I feel that Im just trying to hard to do it and I just need some time fine tuning things

csuggs
05-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Here is a pic of 100lbs in the rear, me on the rail driving. So maybe 250-300lbs total. We rock Wal-Mart ballast and forgot it all at home except two jugs. It was just my lady and I, third bailed. So this is the closest to no ballast photo I could dig out of the archives. Not a big wave, but the SunSport has a huge a**.

inspiring . . ..

Ed G
05-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I have surfed from the goofy side of my boat with no ballast and only person in the boat was my wife driving.

Had to go about 12 mph, and used an Inland Surfer Green Loogie

somewhere I have a photo of James Walker and a friend surfing behind their boat with no ballast - on one the regular side and James on the goofy side.

It really is not that difficult to do, but I gotta say - it tires your front leg out real quick!

Ed G
05-27-2011, 10:12 AM
here's a young James Walker (goofy side) and a friend surfing with no ballast:

https://forum.supraboats.com/picture.php?albumid=257&pictureid=1949