PDA

View Full Version : O'Brian wakesurf board

Big blue
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Can anyone tell me how well the O'Brain wakesurfer surfboard. I am just starting out and need some insite. My boat is a 2004 22ssv gg , how should I set up the boat?

KG's Supra24
05-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Don't have a clue on the O'brien. Do you already own it or are you looking to by a beginner board?

As far as set up, decide if you will be surfing regular or goofy (which side of the boat you want to be on). This is likely the same way you wakeboard. Typically you surf with your front facing the wave. For instance, i wakeboard left foot forward so i surf the passenger side of the boat.

Put all the weight you can in the rear corner. To get the weight right you will likely need more than stock ballast. Your boat would probably like to see between 700-1200 lbs on the rear surf side, depending on how big of a wave you want. The closer you approach 1200 you will need some bow weight and possibly weight on the opposite side. That is just a quick start. Let us know what you have to work with weight wise.

Big blue
05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
I am not sure about lbs, but the boat:o has two bags in the back and one in the front. The boat has what came with the gravity games model. I board right foot forward. The board I am looking at is foam covered with some type of soft vinyl.

cmtaylor777
05-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Big Blue,

Concentrate on 2 things. Weight and board. Go ahead and get a good board because you will outgrow a beginners board pretty quick. Plus, a high quality wakesurf board is easier to start on than a "beginners board".

Get as much weight as you can. Set up everything like KG said and you should be good. 1100lb in the rear on surf side and your stock front sack along with a 400lb in the playpen will probably work out perfect for you.

CarZin
05-20-2011, 11:52 AM
Let me give you some advice, as I am a beginner, and just had to tackle all of this...

First, as others have said, you are not going to have a great time with the stock ballast. You must get some additional ballast. If you dont want to spend a fortune, and want to get a setup that will ease you into this, try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aerial-Wakeboarding-Ballast-Attwood-Tsunami/dp/B004OYKHCO

It will get you an additional 1100 pounds of weight across two bags, and a good tsnunami pump. The bags are not made of the same material that the very expensive ballast bags are. They wont last as long. The material is comparable to what you find in heavy duty tubes. If you have some more money to spend, then by all means get better bags. Also, buy a real wakesurfing rope. Injuries in this spot usually come from the rope. Dont use a ski rope. Way too easy to get something broken or ripped off.

Second, on my 09 21V, the starboard side wave is always better than the port. For this reason, although I wakeboard regular, I have learned to surf goofy. This has been super easy for me, but I am also a kiteboarder and use both ways already. I know other people have a hard time goofy surfing.

Third, dont start out with a short board. I made the mistake of getting a 4'2" coex. I weigh 165 pounds. The board is fine for my weight, but I had a real hard time with this board. I got a 5'6" Broadcast used on Craigslist (for $140) that has made a huge difference. Long = Good for beginners. For me, I want to have equipment that friends can use. You want to have a long board for the boat. Expect to buy a shorter board once you get better.

My current setup is 650 pounds in the rear starboard locker, 650 pounds in the center bag, and (2) 550 pound bags on the starboard side of the boat (one on the floor next to the seat, and one on the seat). With that setup, and only myself in the boat, you can follow the link below to see the wake.

This weekend I'll have 8 people in the boat with this setup. I'll post a new picture of that.

http://www.thewolfweb.com/photos/00520725.jpg

There is a fifth item I mean to mention...

USE EVO.COM to purchase your gear. If you order soon (probably today through the weekend), they have 25% off their already discounted outlet section. You missed out on a killer 40% off about 2 months ago. I snagged the Coex for about $150, which was unreal. But 25% off their outlet section is great. I am linking you to the outlet section wakesurfing spot.

http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop.aspx?text=wakesurf

Big blue
05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the information. It will cut way down no the learning curve.