PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever install a thru hull Depth finder sensor?

dshaff24
05-17-2011, 02:01 PM
its a IN HULL.. after reading on the net I had to edit this!

I bought a new depth gauge with the sensor that mounts inside the Hull..Its sends the signal thru the Hull to get the depth!

ANYWAY.. I got the gauge mounted and when I started looking at the directions for the sensor I Noticed they want me to take a 4 inch hole saw and SHED a layer off the bottom the inside Hull to get to the outter layer.

Since the early supra's use kevlar its seems thin allready so im not feeling this!

Anyway they want to cut a 4 inch hole to remove the top inside layer of the hull.. then you fit the sensor down in the hole and resin over it!

Anybody on here ever mess with this? This is a link to what I purchased last year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FARIA-DIGITAL-DEPTH-SOUNDER-HULL-TRANSDUCER-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e595c10fQQitemZ36033 4082319QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Ptownkid
05-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Strange, i just bought a Faria depth sounder as well and it says nothing of the sort...it does say to throw it in a bag of water and simply try it in various locations.

wotan2525
05-17-2011, 02:32 PM
How are you supposed to know how far down to go? A 4" hole is pretty big!! I wouldn't do it. You should be able to buy a thru-hull transducer and make it work with that unit.

dshaff24
05-17-2011, 02:41 PM
How are you supposed to know how far down to go? A 4" hole is pretty big!! I wouldn't do it. You should be able to buy a thru-hull transducer and make it work with that unit.

Its actaully a in hull transducer. I typed it wrong in the title! Basically the directions want me to find a location in the hull.. Cut a 4 inch hole INside the Hull.. Not thru the hull.. Kinda just take a layer off the inside of the bottom hull.. Then mount it in it and resin/fiberglass over the mount

I been searching online and found exactly what you are going to do.. I think im just going to take the thing with me when I put the boat in and try it.. if it works then mount it without cutting a layer.. Kevlar supra's are thin!!

haugy
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
F-that. I'd either say no way, or get one that mounts on the transom.

Okie Boarder
05-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Like Ptownkid mentioned, you should be able to put the sensor in a bag of water and try different areas inside the hull to see where it might work right. Mine is mounted toward the end of the transmission over to the starboard side a touch. I think Clint did about the same and he has some recent pictures in one of his threads. Find the spot you want to mount it, scuff up the surface of the bilge and sensor a bit and epoxy it in place.

Ptownkid
05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
For anyone else who is considering buying one...that ebay price is a little high. I got the next model up for less here...

http://www.boatersland.com/depthgauges.html

In fact their gauge prices in general were the cheapest I could find!

Dshaff, I hope I'm not being rude by posting that. I just thought it might help some people.

Cheers

Ptownkid
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Also...since the transducer instruction don't seem to be online, I'll grab mine from my dad's this week and scan it for you. Maybe they have updated the instructions but I'm sure it did not say to rape the inside of the hull.

beast 496
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
The shoot through the hull tansducers are very cheap and unrealible. The best is a true through hull, where you actually drill the 2" or so hole and mount the transducer perminatly in the hull. Good luck Al

cadunkle
05-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Al, I've found my through hull (no hole, mounted inside the hull) to be reliable and accurate even at speed in chop. Never had a single time that it was not giving a reading or was waiting for a signal. That's more than I can say for any of the off the back of the transom transducers I've had on previous boats.

Now I will agree a true through hull transducer is better. Not the kid the OP has, but a nice brass through hull transducer. Most folks don't want to put holes in their boats though. My experience of reliability may be the exception and not the norm though.

Okie Boarder
05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
I haven't had any issues with mine either.

csuggs
05-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Never any issues with my "through the hull" (not in the hull). The important thing when mounting is to be sure there are no air bubbles in the epoxy when setting the transducer. Mine works great! Maybe the others Al is talking about are more accurate (to what degree I don't know), but any increase in accuracy over what I've got would not be worth drilling the hull - at least not to me.

dshaff24
05-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Never any issues with my "through the hull" (not in the hull). The important thing when mounting is to be sure there are no air bubbles in the epoxy when setting the transducer. Mine works great! Maybe the others Al is talking about are more accurate (to what degree I don't know), but any increase in accuracy over what I've got would not be worth drilling the hull - at least not to me.

What kind of epoxy are we talking? Ill have to pick me up some!!

csuggs
05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
dshaff - the epoxy came with the depth finder. It's a Humminbird so maybe they would have something on their website?

wotan2525
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
What kind of epoxy are we talking? Ill have to pick me up some!!

A tube of two-part marine expoxy works great. I found loctite at my local hardware store -- It's on amazon for $3. http://www.amazon.com/Henkel-1154728-Loctite-0-85-Ounce-Marine/dp/B000H6A3D6

dshaff24
05-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I only have to epoxy the bottom right? Cause the actaul sensor mounts on the base

Okie Boarder
05-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the general recommendation is slow cure epoxy. What exactly does the puck (sensor) look like?

dshaff24
05-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Well I guess I should of read ALL of the directions before posting this.. Turns out on our hulls all you do is Pick a spot.. just like csnuggs did in front of the driveshaft away from turbulance.. Then Make sure its a smooth surface.. ITS telling me NOT to use Epoxy.. but a GE silicon 1 or 2 .. I have 3m 5200 I wonder If thatwould work?

after the silicon cures I have to fill the base with mineral oil and put mount the transducer onto the base! Run the wire and try it out!

so I got 2 questions..

1 - Did you guys use mineral oil to fill it? im guessing I can go to lowes to get this..

2 - And does anyone know what GE silicon I or II is? Could I use 52003m that I allready have?

dshaff24
05-23-2011, 02:34 PM
The transducer is a AIRMAR