PDA

View Full Version : Engine Flush Valve - Inline Install

Safety Bob
05-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I just picked up an '88 Saltare with a 454 and I was hoping to start her up in the driveway. I noticed that there was no inline valve to hook up a hose. I believe that I found a spot to install one. Do I cut the 1 1/4 supply hose between the intake on the hull and before what appears to be an engine oil cooler to install a "T"? I picked up some 1" PVC and a T fitting from Home Depot with some additional parts to make my own hose connector to get some water into the system before starting. Does this sound feasible, or is there a special flush valve I need to use? Is that the right location to install the valve or "T"? One more question, where do I find the impeller so I can change it before placing her in the water in the coming weeks? If you need a picture, I could try to post one on Wednesday evening. Thank you!

L-Robby
05-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Bob, not sure about the flush install. My boat doesn't have one. The impeller is belt driven off of the crank. Follow the lake water intake hose that you are about to install your flush into and it will lead you to the impeller housing. The impeller on my boat is on the lower right side of the engine. It's a Ford, not sure if its the same on they chevys

OUI
05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
That sounds like a cool idea. The thing you're looking at is the transmission cooler. You can mount it in between that and the Thru Hual fitting if it will fit. I'd put it on the other side. It's not good to force water thru the water pump, so I'd put in a shut off valve on your T. I have a similar contraption, and I turn on the motor first and then turn on the water.

L-Robby is right. Your water pump is on the front of the motor on the right side. To pull the impeller, loosen the bolts on the pully, release the tension on the belt, pull the pulley bolts, pull the pulley, remove the three bolts on the front of the water pump, and there is your impeller. Sometimes they're hard to get out, but it will come. What I do before I put in a new one -- is take a file and take the burr off the key way slot on the impeller, it doesn't take much, but it makes putting it in and pulling it out the next time that much easier.

Ptownkid
05-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure if you were asking where it was located or where to purchase an impeller...but they have lots of stuff at www.skidim.com

Man I've been plugging them a lot lately...maybe I should ask them if they can start giving me a credit every time I link them, haha.

As for your water valve question, I basically tied in where you are talking about, but don't forget that if you simply add a T, you'll be pumping water straight out the intake as well...and I'm not positive how much water will head towards the motor when you have it set up like that. I just made myself a little adapter to fit the garden hose and removed the intake line from the through hull fitting all together. That way it pumps water directly towards the water pump and into the engine.

Cheers

mapleleaf
05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I have the same gizmo as Ptown, I made from the depot plumbing isle, requires a nutdriver for the gear clamps on every use, but I've got a 20 yr old boat, it always has tools on it.....

Safety Bob
05-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Great ideas gentlemen! Thank you! I had planned on inserting the T inline by cutting the intake hose, but now I may just remove the hose from the intake fitting in the hull and add an elbow so that the water from the hose can only go one direction, towards the engine! The nut driver will help out as well with the hose clamps being a reach. Does the floor come up behind the doghouse for easy access? I have included a couple of pictures of what I am looking at. I believe that I have found the location for the impeller. I will be changing the part this weekend. Thanks guys! :D

Ptownkid
05-19-2011, 09:51 AM
No problem man! Yes, your floor "should" come up from behind the doghouse. The end you want to detach is the other end of the hose in your picture, remove the clamp(s) from the intake through fitting and hook your water up there. Yes, that is the water pump that contains the impeller. Remove the pump completely and you'll find the impeller inside that pump after removing some bolts. Be aware that there is an o-ring seal that will need to be seated properly to close it up again. All in all, it's easy. I did mine without no prior knowledge with ease.

OUI
05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
That water pump will suck as much water as it needs, if some is left over, which I doubt there will be, can go the other way. If you're worried about your contraption, buy a Fake-a-Lake. My contraption is just an insert that fits in the end of the hose. I disconnect the hose at the Trans Oil Cooler, stick the insert into the hose and tighten the hose clamp. I connect a hose to the end of the insert and I'm good to go. I don't worry about cooling the trans when it's in neutral and there is no load. I like to keep it simple. When it comes to connections, less is more. The more opportunities you create for a leak, the more leaks you will create.