PDA

View Full Version : I need a search term

haugy
05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm looking at a boat with a 454. The owner keeps going into NADA and plugging in an 8.1L engine, and of course the results come up that the boat should cost in the teens.

Now when I talk to him tonight, and I explain it's a 7.4L I'm going to need to tell him a search term that will bring up TRUE horsepower numbers for a marine application for this boat. I know it's 330hp, but I need to be able to show him so he doesn't think I'm pulling a trick.

When the engine horsepower is properly loaded into NADA you get a real world number that isn't too far off what these boats are going for. I need help explaining this to him in a way that doesn't look like I'm trying to cheat or make him feel stupid.

I'm just trying to show him reality, but as polite as possible.

I never knew boat buying would be this hard.

Patrick56
05-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Haugy,

I did a search using the Yahoo web page for "454 marine engine". About the 4th link down is to www.michiganmotorz.com. Here is the write up for their product. It might convince them.

This BRAND NEW 2011 7.4L (454 ci) Vortec SILVER package is great for those that need a little more than just a base engine or long block, but still don't quite need a complete engine package. This package will fit, bolt in, and work in nearly all 7.4L (454 ci) marine applications from 1976-2001 with no modifications. If you have an existing Mark 4, Gen 5 or Gen 6 7.4L engine from MerCruiser, Volvo Penta, OMC, or inboard application, then this 7.4L Vortec engine package will work in your application. This 7.4L SILVER package is rated at 330 hp @ 4600 RPM at the crank and comes with the following components:

•2011 7.4L (454 ci) Vortec marine engine - Standard rotation, cast iron block, teflon coated pistons, high flow oval port Vortec cylinder heads with sintered powered-metal exhaust valve seat inserts, high performance GM marine roller cam shaft with roller valve lifters. These are just a few of the features that add up to more horsepower, greater low end torque, excellent durability, and longevity. All marine engine manufacturers (MerCruiser, Volvo Penta, Marine Power, Indmar, PCM, etc) used this Gen 6 7.4L Vortec engine from 1996-2000.
•Cast iron intake manifold - Made for marine applications. Low-rise, 4 barrel intake commonly used in standard horsepower marine engine applications by MerCruiser, Crusader, OMC, etc. This manifold is made for fresh water and the harshest salt water environments.
•Holly 4175 marine carburetor - 4 barrel with electric choke, spread bore, 650 cfm, 30cc accelerator pump, single fuel inlet, vacuum secondaries, "J" tubes, etc (U.S. Coast Guard Approved), one-piece flexable fuel line, flame arrestor with breather tube and PCV hook-up.
•Electric fuel pump kit with fuel/water seperator - a low pressure 4-7 PSI electric fuel pump (U.S. Coast Guard Approved), delivers the right amount of fuel to the carburetor but it first must pass through the fuel/water seperator to protect vital engine components from raw water. Includes brackets and oil pressure switch. Loss of oil pressure will automatically shut off the fuel pump thereby preventing gas vapors from accidental ignition and preventing possible damage to the engine.
•Delco Voyager ignition kit - Voyager distributor with Electronic Spark Timing (EST), High energy ignition coil, 8mm marine spark plug wires and spark plugs, shift interrupt wire, timing tool, and other misc wires to easily connect to any existing marine engine wire harness. (U.S. Coast Guard Approved).
•Also included - bi-directional circulation pump, 14" I/O flywheel, harmonic balancer, 8-quart marine oil pan (approx 9 quarts of oil required with oil filter), side-mounted dipstick and tube, EZ oil drain kit, lifting eyes, one-year manufacturer's warranty, and complete installation guide and operation manual.
Email [email protected] or call (248) 524-9600 to place your order or for a shipping quote.

Salty87
05-18-2011, 02:10 PM
here's a brief history. says 8.1 came out in 2001. either he re-powered since then or he didn't....where's the receipts?

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/articles/454-496-repower.aspx

haugy
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
There's no question it's the 454. It even says 7.4L on the block. But he doesn't know about engines, and just figured since the 454 WAS the biggest engine back then, that in the NADA search, the biggest engine must be his. He selected a 400HP 8.1L Gen VI motor.

Thanks Patrick, that will work good enough. If I can't get it into his head at that point, I'm doomed. This guys boat is a mess, and he thinks it's worth $14,000.

Why me god?

haugy
05-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Even better. I found the original owners manual here on website under "Library". It lists the three engines offered for those years, and there horsepower ratings.

sybrmike
05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Tell him you'll pay $14k if he includes a 400 hp 8.1L

haugy
05-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Tell him you'll pay $14k if he includes a 400 hp 8.1L

ha ha ha NO KIDDING!!!! Although I'm sure that's just GREAT on gas.

Jetlink
05-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Who buys a boat for good fuel economy? All kidding aside, Haugy, your search for a boat is also a mission to educate boat owners.

Ptownkid
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
It makes me sad to know that the owner doesn't even know his own engine...