PDA

View Full Version : Carpet?

cadunkle
05-18-2011, 07:24 PM
I rebuilt my engine box the other day and didn't think much of carpet. Figured I'd just stop by West Marine and match up my color (gray/charcoal/whatever) and get enough to cover the doghouse base. Well West Marine has nothing in stock and a 1-2 week lead time to get any. Tried home depot, and a couple carpet shops... No one either knows anything about marine carpet or has anything close to the style or color in my boat.

I looked online and could get some that I think would work but I can only get large quantities... Like enough to do the whole floor and whatnot. I don't want to spend a small fortune on a huge piece of carpet, at that point I might as well redo all the carpet in the boat. Really don't want to do that. Would be nice but the carpet really isn't bad and that's a lot of work pulling up seat bases and everything. I only need a piece about 1'x16' (likely end up being two 1'x8'), which should give me a little wiggle room of each dimension. Looks like I'll be out this weekend with no doghouse or a wooden base! Any suggestions on where to get smaller quantities of marine carpet?

jimmyk102
05-18-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm in the same EXACT situation as yourself. Can't find any "small" pieces. Rebuilt my riser 1" taller that the factory one (now 7.5") and was going to re-use the old carpet since it's still in very good condition. So to counter the 2" extra height, I went ahead and sealed & painted the inside black & will simply carpet the outside, fold it over to the engine compartment only taking it down approx 2" or so from the top & trim the rest off since will not cover the entire area due to the new height. When time comes to replace the stringers & such then we will drop cash for carpet through out. Meantime when your engine cover is down, who will really see this?

Salty87
05-19-2011, 10:08 AM
do you really need marine grade for the base? i re-did my base before my rebuild and just used whatever i could find that closely matched in color.

cadunkle
05-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Probably not, as the base shouldn't really be getting too wet anyhow. I'm always good about not getting water in the boat though I have to hound my friends about letting the water off boards and themselves before hopping in. What the guy did say at the carpet place is not to get a carpet with a normal latex/whatever backing as it will break down over time with exposure to water.

haugy
05-19-2011, 11:03 PM
How about if you need a lot of carpet to redo an interior?

Okie Boarder
05-19-2011, 11:24 PM
I got my carpet from Viper. Same stuff they are currently using in the newer Supras.

cadunkle
05-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I found some indoor/outdoor carpet with the proper backing at Lowes for under $20. The color is a little darker, but I don't want to sink a lot of time or money into this project to redo the whole carpet so this will have to do for now.