PDA

View Full Version : Launch V-Drive Vs. Direct Drive ?'s

mmiklos
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Looks like we are going to be in the market for new(used) boat - we need to find an open bow, efi, wakebaord/surf capable (novice), family boat with a tower - searching craigslist I have located a few 2003 Launch 20' Direct Drives with in our budget, other than interior space how much of a compromise is the DD vs. VD. I would like to spend around $25K, it can be stretched out for the right boat - but $30K is really all I want to spend.

We are amatures at everything, skiing, boarding, and want to give surfing a try. Any recomendations or advise, even non-Supra would be greatly appreciated . . . like everybody else, I am looking for the newest, best equiped, lowest hours boat within our budget.

Thanks,
Matt

wotan2525
05-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Matt -- There should be plenty of v-drives in the 25k/range. It's all personal preference but the v-drives are going to hold their value a lot better than the direct drives -- just more of a market for them. You also get a much better seating arrangement and both more space and more storage. Not sure how hot you are to buy something but there are plenty of good deals out there and in this market, cash is king. People are selling boats for a lot less than asking price just to be able to get out from under the payments.

I'm a Supra fan but if I were in your position I'd be considering whatever brand could offer me the best boat for my buck. All of the top brands will have good boats and almost the same reliability. I think you just need to prioritize what the most important features for your family will be. Stereo? Wakeboard wake? Surf wake? storage? fitting into your garage? local dealer to service it? etc....

Patrick56
05-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Just a note, the 03' Launch V-drive & Direct drive are 21'-8". There is a pretty big difference between a 20', 22' & 24' boat in my opinion.

Most of the boats are similar in quality, each having their ups and downs.

You will pay a premium for Master Craft and Natique, but after that the rest seam to be priced in a common range.

scotthons
05-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I think you should be able to find a good V-drive in your price range. I had a direct drive for 6 years before getting our current boat. It was a great boat don't get me wrong, but we are much happier with the 21V. Tons more space and storage.

We were patient and able to find our's last year for right at the low end of your price range. Good luck with your search!

mmiklos
05-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the size! I am open to all brands, but it seems like the Nautique, MC, and some Malibu's I have to look at older models to get into my price range!

As far as our needs - I would like to have a open bow, tower, decent stero, a wake that will provide the oppurtunity to fool around with surfing and wakeboarding - a good all around family boat (current family size 3, but lots of extended family, LOL)!

We are coming from a 98 Comp, all of our previous boats have been primarily Supra Comp's as well.

Time wise, I would like to buy something sooner than later as the season is upon us, I don't want to just buy something to buy something though!!

Thanks for all the help!

jet
05-20-2011, 02:05 PM
DONT SELL HER..PUT A TOWER ON HER!! just joking. : ) Jet

mmiklos
05-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Any thoughts on the value of a 2005 21V w/325 assualt motor - boat looks clean and is well equiped!

scotthons
05-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Any thoughts on the value of a 2005 21V w/325 assualt motor - boat looks clean and is well equiped!

I would say $30k or under would be a fair deal.

jsandy
05-20-2011, 09:25 PM
mmiklos i take it you came by Skiers marine today? come back by and we'll take both of them out and let you see the difference how is that?

Tackleberry
05-24-2011, 02:58 PM

I would say under 30k for an 05 21V is a HELL of a price. This considering the loan value on my 05 Comp LTS direct drive was $32k in March of this year.

mmiklos
05-25-2011, 10:41 AM
mmiklos i take it you came by Skiers marine today? come back by and we'll take both of them out and let you see the difference how is that?

It was not me, I wish I could demo both back to back somewhere!!

jsandy
05-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Where are you located?

96Comp
05-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Like the others said, it depends on your use. If you are boading and surfing, v-drive hands down. If you want to slalom and board go with direct. I slalom so i have a direct drive Comp. If you ever slalomed behind a v-drive it is tough. Wake to wake on a slalom is not good. Resale may be an issue for direct as the market is smaller. So is the space with the engine in the middle. That said it makes a great seat. I have a tower with a shade n store so all the gear except fat saks is off the floor. Unless you have built in ballast, fat saks are a hassle on any boat. Direct drives can be easier to work on if you do your own work. Otherwise, no great savings at the mechanic's shop. The direct drive Launches are sweet! In this economy you should be able to pick up a good v or direct drive well within your budget, perhaps a little less on a direct drive because of demand. That's my .02.