PDA

View Full Version : 4WD/AWD and Boat Ramps

Okie Boarder
05-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Does 4WD or AWD help in pulling a boat up the launch ramp at all?

chrisk
05-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, especially on wet, slimy ramps.

matt k
05-20-2011, 03:53 PM
absolutely. I usually don't have much trouble pulling my boat out of the water in 2wd, but sometimes when the ramp is slimy or really sandy, i'll throw the truck in 4wd, and it eliminates any of the wheelspin.

wotan2525
05-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I only use 4wd to pull out of the water.

Salty87
05-20-2011, 06:35 PM
that or a fat sac for the truck too

michael hunter
05-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Two wheel drive pick ups are light in the rear when empty. My GMC 3500 van hasn't had ant problems yet.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/NewVan002-1-1-2-1-1.jpg

haugy
05-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Depends on the ramp. But if you put in at different places where steepness can very, and the terrain as well, you may want to consider it strongly.

DAFF
05-20-2011, 11:18 PM
4x4 is not always required but is a great option to have. Have a heavy boat ??? Try pulling it out in 4 low. I know when backing up our 5th wheel trailer into a soft campsite I usually drop the transfer case into 4 low. Less strain on the trans and nice to have more control with the lower gearing.

pap
05-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Seen too many videos of cars and trucks in the lake to consider doing it w/o a 4wd vehicle myself.

cadunkle
05-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I used to need 4x4 every now and again, if there was a lot of debris on the ramp at low tide = wet slippery ramp that moves. Ever since I locked my rear axle I have never had to lock the hubs to pull the boat out.

Okie Boarder
05-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Usually I don't have issues with my 2WD F-150, but something to think about. Most of the ramps around here are pretty good, but some are steep and I often worry and pay close attention to stay off the slime and the rear tires out of the water. Looking at upgrading the truck and have a few AWD/4WD options I'm looking at.

cadunkle
05-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Avoid AWD, run a real transfer case. Much stronger and better traction than those goofy differential cases.

Okie Boarder
05-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I think the 1st choice I'm looking at is actually 4WD...just electronic, not manual. Does have an "auto" mode though which I'm trying to better understand...if this all pans out.

haugy
05-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Avoid AWD, run a real transfer case. Much stronger and better traction than those goofy differential cases.

Depends on the vehicle. The adaptive AWD is very nice for this situation. For real serious offroading it's not desirable since the situation varies so quickly the AWD tries to calculate and change too much. But for a ramp where it's simple traction issues, they are extremely handy.

Auto mode is a limited slip with an electronic shifting system. Which means when certain wheels detect slip (which is easily detectable in the rear differential) it sends a signal to active and engage the 4wd system with a small clutch system, and Voila, 4wd automatically. If you have no slip, no 4wd.

They are also great on the newer vehicles where the sensors and engaging systems are much more advanced and smooth. But get an older one and they are a little rougher, and you run the risk as well of them being worn out or damaged.

Are you looking at a particular vehicle? As Cadunkle mentioned earlier is a locked rear end. I've told many of my friends to do this and they have been pleased. Basically for my friends who only need traction at the ramp, they installed a locking rear differential that is selectable on/off. Tire spins at the ramp. Then stop, engage the rear locker, and now both tires spin at the same speed, meaning even though one tire may not have traction, the one that does will keep pulling. This is a great option if you already have your ideal vehicle, but are looking for more security at the ramp.

Okie Boarder
05-21-2011, 06:13 PM
#1 choice right now is a Chevy Avalanche 4WD. It has the Auto mode you're talking about, along with selectable 2WD, 4H, 4L.

haugy
05-21-2011, 06:57 PM
#1 choice right now is a Chevy Avalanche 4WD. It has the Auto mode you're talking about, along with selectable 2WD, 4H, 4L.

Perfect vehicle. If you have concerns at a ramp, put it in auto, and let it do the rest. Or if you know it's going to be tricky, put it in 4-high so you don't start slipping at all. Which is a big problem on loose terrain ramps. If you spin, and dig, you're already in trouble.

I only recommend AWD on family SUV's where the wife might drive it daily with the kids, and then they use that to put the boat in. It's nice because it's family security, and great at the ramp. Other than that, get the selectable 4wd for gas mileage. There are very few AWDs that do well on gas mileage, AND can tow a sizeable boat at a ramp.

Okie Boarder
05-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the feedback all. We'll see what happens on this deal.

By the way, I do have my truck for sale at the moment. If I don't sell it by the time everything is ready, I'll likely just trade it (was offered a pretty fair price). I know most everyone on here is a ways away from me, but thought I'd go ahead and throw it out there.

2004 Ford F-150 Super Cab XLT in nice shape. Some added extras and fairly low miles (~70K). Asking $13k.

Cgilboski
05-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Just as long as it's not a chevy :)

jet
05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Avoid the AWD unless you want to be friends with gas stations. You cant take it out of 4WD so it KILLS the gas mileage.

Blackntan90
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I have one of each- Chevy suburban w/4wd, and a Subaru outback w/awd. I will say a locking rear is great, and there is a code on the glovebox door(inside) that will let you know if you have it(but I can't remember it at the moment). That said, the Subaru is great in the rain, snow, dry, but no where near enough power to tow the boat with, but gets 27 mpg.The suburban has plenty of power with the 6.0L engine, but suffers on fuel economy at around 10mpg. I personally do not use the 'Auto' setting, but I suppose I should, at least in the rain- a buddy of mine runs his in 'Auto' all the time, and it seems to work fine- I just wish I had the 4-wheel steer option he got, awesome in parking lots!

SouthernBow
05-23-2011, 08:38 PM
I've got a 4x4 ford and never put it into 4 wheel yet,but it's good to know it's there if I need it.

Okie Boarder
05-23-2011, 09:23 PM
My Dad has a Sierra with the 4 wheel steering. That is pretty cool and it lets you park a truck like a little car.

csuggs
05-24-2011, 05:52 AM
I never had a problem with two wheel drive. My Chevy has the G80 code limited slip axle and I keep good tires on it. Okie, look for the code in the glovebox of a Chevy or GMC. G80 is limited slip axle and G4 is a 3.73:1 gear ratio. Good combination for towing. There's another code in there for the factory trailer towing package, but I can't think of it just now.

Edit - correction, GT4 (not G4) is the code for 3.73:1 axle ratio. And the code for heavy duty trailering equipment is Z82.

Okie Boarder
05-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Clint...I'll check that out. I'm pretty sure the one we're considering is probably equipped well considering everything else it has on it.

Tackleberry
05-24-2011, 02:42 PM
When I was selling Supras, Moombas, and Nautiques I had a regular cab, short wheel base Chevy 4x4 (07 Classic Z71) that I towed with. I used an 09 Launch 22 as a demo boat on the weekends and never had to put it 4wd to pull a boat out. Even on some of the steepest ramps in the area (Smith Lake, Alabama). I also towed several 24' Supras, Nautique Team 236, Malibu VLX, and various other inboards without an issue. Those aren't light boats. My last truck, '10 Chevy Z71 2wd ext. cab and my current '08 Tahoe 2wd have zero issues pulling my Comp LTS out of the water.

sybrmike
05-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Over the years I've had 4 different 4WD's, but the only times I used it was when I knew I had it - so I pushed a little farther and deeper than if I were in a 2WD. The only time I used 4WD on a ramp was to pull somebody else's boat up a steep, muddy, potholed, ramp that nobody should have been using in the first place. I skipped the 4WD this time - replaced the 4WD 1500 Ram with a 2WD 2500 CTD. Either way, with a LSD or locker in the rear - 4WD may just be for insurance (pay for it & hope you never have to use it).

Chuck Yager
05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I have an '07 new body style GMC CC Z71 and love it. Like has been said before. 4x4 is a security blanket for me. I personnaly wouldn't have one without 4x4. Mine has the autotrac transfer case you are talking about and it does really well, I do susally just put it into 2HI and just shift it into 4x4 if I feel the need. I also have the locking diff (and yes it is an automatic locking diff. It works really well too. I couldn't be happier with the combination. it makes the truck very capable. GMs do seem to be a bit spin happy sometimes, but I usually don't need 4x4 to pul the boat out of the water unless its a ramp that is paved and there is a lot of gravel from the parking lot on the ramp. The avalanche should be a choice you will be very happy with in my opinion.

Okie Boarder
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, pulled the trigger. Picked up the Av last night. It is definitely in nice shape and I think we're going to enjoy it. We're hitting the lake tomorrow so I'll see how it does pulling and at the ramp.

csuggs
06-03-2011, 11:01 AM
What rear gear ratio did you end up with?

Okie Boarder
06-03-2011, 11:24 AM
To be honest, I haven't even looked yet. I'll check it out tonight and let you know. Here's a couple pics...one at the dealership and one rear shot in the garage.

Chuck Yager
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I think it will have the 3.73's in it. Its a real eye catcher! Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it! Congrats on the purchase!

csuggs
06-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Niiiiiiicceee! It's probably either a 3.73 or 3.42; GT4 ur GU6 respectively. In Oklahoma either one is probably fine.

Blackntan90
06-03-2011, 12:44 PM
That is a great looking Avy, very nice indeed!

Okie Boarder
06-03-2011, 01:41 PM
It does have the GT4 code on the sticker in the glove box, among many other codes...LOL! So, it looks like 3.73 rear end.

Thanks guys! I think we're really going to like it and should get several years of use / enjoyment out of it. The boys are pretty excited to have more room, DVD and WIRELESS HEADPHONES! (I typed that in all caps because when they realized it they both yelled it...LOL!)

rdlangston13
06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm a little late but before I bought my Ram I Pulled my Mobius LSV out of the water on a steep ramp with a 3.0L V6 2wd ford ranger. rear tire submerged and all and it didn't even try to slip. Had BFG ATs on it.