PDA

View Full Version : Well, I got myself another Supra.

haugy
05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
First off, I want to thank for all the help in trying to locate a Saltare.

Well after searching for a while I had almost given up, and nearly purchased a 1990 Sunsport. While it was beautiful, in pristine shape, and red to boot it was just too much money for the boat it was. Plus it had all kinds of things I didn't want on it.

I recently came across some information about a forgotten gem, lost in time. When I grew up, we were on an 89 Comp. It inspired a couple of locals to go and get Supra's, including the father of one of your mods, DKJBama92Mariah. Yep, I knew him growing up. This boat was one of those boats.

It's a black 1990 Saltare. It has been sitting in a barn for years, barely used. But what's awesome is that I was the second person to ski behind this boat back in 1990. My best friend growing up, was first. His parents bought this boat, and has had it since. I spent many summers playing in it, and remembering it. It came to my attention that they still had it, and might be interested in selling it.

After working them and explaining why I wanted it in a very long and detailed email, the entire family agreed. All the members felt I would be the right person to bring this boat back to it's glory.

So this is her. She was named the "Foxy Lady" back in 1990. Here's the breakdown:

The good:
-All original, still has the tape deck, no custom mods, I now even have the Glass ice bucket and glasses with the Supra logo engraved into them. Serious collector item.
-The motor only has 290 hours on it.
-The floor was replaced 3 years ago
-Original trailer with the big bow catch, which is so much better with these big boats, and it has new tires.

The Bad:
-The stringers were not replaced, but after doing some testing should last me a little while at least, enough to get the boat back in shape before I really have to tear it apart.
-It's BAD cosmetically. This thing is going to take a whole different level of work to get back in shape. Wetsanding, polishing, cleaning, repeat, a lot.
-They had it painted on the center line. Meaning the big black section that goes down the length of the boat was repainted black. The painter left the decals, so there may be a color difference if I remove them.
-The paint has a very very faint orange peel texture.
-The motor is a trainwreck. They were not mechanically inclined. They did have it regularly serviced for winterization. But it's still bad. That's going to be a big hurdle.
-And I couldn't even get it home. I had to leave it at my parents house in Alabama since they never filled the brake resevoir, so the trailer bounced back and forth. And the trailer lights didn't work, and also fried my taillight fuse on my truck. So I parked that sucker till I could make it roadworthy.

So here she is. While the pictures make it look good, I can assure you this one is a handful.

Look out SybrMike, I'm gonna be buggin ya about your boat. And now we have to Black Beauty's rolling around in here.

haugy
05-20-2011, 11:30 PM
More pics of the interior.

L-Robby
05-21-2011, 01:36 AM
BIG BLOCK CHEVY!!!!!!!!! Man Im drooling. Looks like a great project. Those motors will make crazy torque with mild upgrades. Sweet. Sounds like a perfect boat to give a make-over. I work in the shop for a RV dealer, so if you need some help with wiring or brakes feel free to ask. Lots of pics please!!!

Salty87
05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
congrats haugy!!

she doesn't look any worse than most of the others. hopefully you got the deal you've been wanting.

haugy
05-21-2011, 10:43 AM
YEAH! That's awesome! Good for you! I like the story as well. So now you will have two babies to take care of.
You're not kidding about the motor...looks rough, however; I was under the impression you wanted something turnkey for the summer?
I can't believe they painted it...might wanna go with "Middle Aged Woman" till further notice.

Well, with the new baby due any minute now, literally. I figured a project couldn't hurt as long as it wasn't a resto. I'm going to pull the motor apart and check it's vitals. If everything looks good I'll be putting it back together after a little clean up and paint, and some new components. The good thing is the motor was serviced by a mechanic so at least it got oil changes and such. But the fuel tank has two year old fuel in it. Spark plugs......who knows, etc. I'll do a compression test, and I'm optimistic at 280 hours, and then get her running.

BIG BLOCK CHEVY!!!!!!!!! Man Im drooling. Looks like a great project. Those motors will make crazy torque with mild upgrades. Sweet. Sounds like a perfect boat to give a make-over. I work in the shop for a RV dealer, so if you need some help with wiring or brakes feel free to ask. Lots of pics please!!!

I'm going to leave the motor stock as I've been very pleased with the motors before. I'm running a Supra 351w in my CJ7 rockcrawler and it's a torque monster. I'm probably going to put on a new brake coupler on the front, and gut all the wiring out. I'll get more pics as I go.

congrats haugy!!

she doesn't look any worse than most of the others. hopefully you got the deal you've been wanting.

Yeah I'm pumped. I was a bit worried about the paint, but I think I can salvage it and really make it pop. The carpet is thrashed.

Thanks guys, I'll keep yall posted. No hidden pics thing...........lol :D

DAFF
05-21-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd clean it up and put in the water for the season. |Sure it might be allitle ugly and such but it floats.... In time (winter) start the toltal rebuild. As for now enjoy it as summer is almost here.

Okie Boarder
05-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats haugy. I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress. I'm sure a lot of us can provide advice to help you along during the resto process. Post pics as you go and be sure to post some pics of your other new baby you're about to have. :)

Chachi
05-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Congrats Haugy, at least you found a Saltare!

jonyb
05-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Glad you finally got one..... Still need me to check on that paintwork?

haugy
05-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Glad you finally got one..... Still need me to check on that paintwork?

Negative. This owner called me shortly after talking to you and we worked out a deal. Thanks though.

sybrmike
05-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, it's about time! Congratulations & welcome to the dark side (well, at least with paint the black is probably really black). Looks like the makings of a great boat for the impending expanded family (good luck with that, as well).

I was only joking earlier about finding "the one" with low hours stowed away in a barn, but great karma - how many get to buy used with knowing some actual history?

All original with all the little pieces (including wine service, that's a classic) - that'll make the resto sooo much easier. I'm excited for you & based on the previous Mariah - I know you'll do a first rate job bringing her back.

Ptownkid
05-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes! That's a great story man, enjoy!

TitanTn
05-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Oh yes! Love the story and the boat. I'm so glad you found the Saltare that you were wanting. I'm looking forward to the restoration story, pics and new baby celebration. Once you get done we'll have to plan a southern Supra get-together.