PDA

View Full Version : What screws to attach new battery box, etc?

pap
05-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Never had a boat before. Bought a second battery and surepower system to install. I have no idea what to use in terms of hardware. Makes me very nervous to start drilling holes into a boat.

I assume I should use stainless steel, but for example if I'm attaching to the middle wall I don't want them coming out the other side into the playpen walkthrough area!

Any suggestions appreciated.

NeilMcg
06-05-2011, 07:50 PM
316 Stainless steel is always your best bet. Manganese bronze (yellow bronze) or brass are also commonly used. As far as them coming out then other end, that's good old fashion measuring.

pap
06-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I just don't know how one can measure for example on the middle wall of the left sided storage compartment - the other side is blind, I think a double cavity, but don't see how to measure.

Just wish there were a very detailed install picture tutorial on how to mount stuff like extra battery switches.

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 01:30 AM
I assume I should use stainless steel, but for example if I'm attaching to the middle wall I don't want them coming out the other side into the playpen walkthrough area!

Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't think you're going to have much luck screwing anything into this area. It's only like 1/8" thick fiberglass, right?

You'd have to glue a woodblock in there to screw to. More of a PITA than it's worth. Mount it somewhere else. Post up some pictures and we'll help you out.