PDA

View Full Version : Bent Prop Strut

Bumpass1
05-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I climbed up the boat this moning and found to my surprise that the prop strut was bent to the left:confused::confused::mad:. I was out all day yesterday and did not notice any vibration or anything. Has anyone ever replaced it themselves? Ant idea where I can pick one up. It is on a '07 Launch 21V.

Thanks for any help.
Jamie

wotan2525
05-22-2011, 03:30 PM
They can be straightened. Are you sure it's bent? They sit off-center, you know.

Bumpass1
05-22-2011, 04:20 PM
They can be straightened. Are you sure it's bent? They sit off-center, you know.

Well it may not be bent then. This is my first boat so I am not sure. I looked up where the shaft comes out of the bottom of the boat and noticed that the shaft was closer to one side of the hole than the other, then looked down at the strut and saw that it was not lined up strait with the prop and rudder. I assumed that the strut was slightly bent causing the misalignment. I can post pictures if needed.

cadunkle
05-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Post pictures from the side and from straight behind it. Might not be bent. The shaft will not be centered on the rudder, this is normal so you can remove the shaft for service without removing the rudder. Driveshaft may not be exactly centered in the log as alignment may put it all straight but not perfectly centered. I know mine isn't perfectly centered, but it runs smooth and aligned fine to under .002". If no shaft wobble or vibrations you're probably fine?

docdrs
05-22-2011, 09:08 PM
The rudder is supposed to be right of the prop shaft. That's so you can pull the shft out without removing.the rudder. Check your alignment, it should be done yearly

Bumpass1
05-22-2011, 09:21 PM
The rudder is to the right of the prop when looking from the rear. I looked at it and thought, "That can't be right". Glad to hear that I am wrong (hopefully). I will post pictures tomorrow just to make sure.

Thanks for the input.:p

wotan2525
05-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Sounds like you're OK. If it was bent you'd have vibrations/problems for sure!

sybrmike
05-23-2011, 11:20 AM
As others mentioned, the shaft is supposed to be offset from the rudder so sounds like you're probably o.k. I know it's tougher to check in a V-drive, but if the front of the shaft is fairly concentric in the shaft log, the coupling alignment is in spec, and the shaft is straight & inserts into the strut easily without binding - it's all good.

jet
05-23-2011, 11:28 AM
yeah..this cant happen without you knowing it. If you hit something there would be a BIG bang, there would be alot of vibration?? It just doesnt happen.