PDA

View Full Version : PCM 454 vs. Marine 454 components

haugy
05-22-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm pricing out components for the motor, valve covers, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, coil, wires, etc. All kinds of little things.

But going through Skidim, my total just for those simple things came up to almost $1,000. HOLY CRAP!!! It was $100, just for a pair of valve cover gaskets.

I know marine vs road engine components are different. But if I buy marine gaskets from another vendor for a big block 454, they should fit right? Is there any difference from a standard marine 454 to a PCM 454?

Just for a healthy tune up I'd rather not break the bank.

cadunkle
05-22-2011, 06:29 PM
454 is 454. For gaskets you can use automotive gaskets for anything that doesn't touch raw water (i.e. head and intake gaskets). For valve covers I'd just run a Felpro rubber gasket.For the many parts "marine" is unnecessary and just a waste of money in my opinion.

wotan2525
05-23-2011, 01:25 AM
454 is 454. The only thing that needs to be marine is the cam and some electrical components. I assume the heads are also marine but I'd bet you could use auto heads and have no problem.

haugy
05-23-2011, 08:33 AM
That's kind of what I was thinking guys. The heads I'd use Marine gaskets because of the raw water like Cadunkle stated. But I'm thinking for the valve covers and intake I should be alright with regular gaskets. It's just rediculous to spend $200 on two sets of gaskets.

sybrmike
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Engines is engines & parts is parts. The only PCM specific parts are those components used to marinize a standard auto engine - raw water pump, cam, fuel delivery, manifolds, and such. Automotive gaskets (intake, valve cover, exhaust, etc.) should be fine. Stick with marine specific on the fuel & ignition components - USCG regs are there for safety & not a place I'd want to scrimp (carb, J-tubes, fuel pump vent hose, approved fuel lines, dist, alt, etc.).

Yea, even shopping used, ebay, & CL - it does still add up quickly.

haugy
05-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah I know there a few things I don't plan on shortcutting because of Marine standards and safety. That's why I wanted to know about the gaskets, because I couldn't really think of anything that would prevent me from using automotive gaskets on certain areas.

Thanks for the info guys.