PDA

View Full Version : tube from steering rack?

spudski67
05-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I think I remember reading a thread regarding this topic in the past, but multiple searches have not turned anything up.

On my 1990 Sunsport, there is a clear plastic tube that comes from right behind the steering wheel. It attaches to a case which I imagine contains gears that pull the steering cable. What is this tube for? I dont want to neglect any regular lubrication/maintenance.

Thanks in advance

Ptownkid
05-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm not an expert, and I'm not positive, but I think that's where the end of the steering cable goes as you turn the wheel. When you turn one way, it enters the tube, when you turn the other, it retracts from the tube. At least that's the impression i get by using my noodle.

HTH

sybrmike
05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Yeah, I think it's called a "protection" tube. On a rotary helm, the cable end will extend & retract within that tube as you turn the wheel. It's there to keep contaminants out of the helm and helps from getting grease all over the backside of the dash.

jet
05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
sybr your right. It simply keeps the grease from getting on your legs or the boat. But I think Its called a boat condom??

Ptownkid
05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes...I feel very proud of myself! haha

spudski67
05-25-2011, 06:48 PM
you all are absolutely right. I checked it out. Definitely the cable condom.

I had thought maybe I should put some sort of lubricant in there since I cant find any zerks...