PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation

Burke
05-26-2011, 01:25 AM
I've been looking for ways to move my dual battery setup out from the storage area behind the observers seat on my 07 21V. Right now, my plan is to move them under the observers seat cushion and put them in a custom built box. Seems like there is just enough clearance to make it work.

Just curious what other people have done. I hate losing so much storage space behind the observers seat because of the two large battery boxes.

tg0824SSVGG
05-26-2011, 07:35 AM
John moved his batteries as part of a stereo upgrade, lots of photos here:

http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3792&highlight=move+battery

But mostly of the stereo, but this is fine work. If you poke around with "Search"
you will likely find more threads about moving/adding batteries.

Todd

csuggs
05-26-2011, 08:20 AM
That's exactly what I did, under the OB seat cushion next to the driver. Easy access.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03158.jpg

Diggs
05-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I did this a few boats back and put it under the observer seat in the main storage area. Free'd up a ton of space. You will not be able to put a cover on though cause they will sit too high. I think we did a nice plexi glass cover over it to keep it clean and protected. I think I was running oddyssy batteries too and they are lower profile. It is a great modification and not sure why manufacters don't do it from the factory.

Burke
05-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Diggs - that's exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm considering buying two new batteries to make the fit a little better. Do you have any pics of your old setup?

jet
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Im doing the same thing. I was going to cut out a drop down box but under the seat in mine but that just adds hours more to my to-do-list. So Im taking the easier approch and moving both batts to the left side wall of the boat and storage area and puting a perko switch by the driverside. I will post batt pics here later. Jet

jet
05-26-2011, 01:51 PM
What do yall recommend for charging? I was looking at Duall charger style.

Batt tenders?? a nice one
Batt charger?? And will these overcharge??

wotan2525
05-26-2011, 04:41 PM
What do yall recommend for charging? I was looking at Duall charger style.

Batt tenders?? a nice one
Batt charger?? And will these overcharge??

It all depends on your requirements. I think the "standard" has become the promariner line of chargers. They are on-board and work well. If you need to recharge your banks overnight, I'd get the 20amp (2-bank or 3-bank.) If the time to recharge isn't a factor, I'd look at the 10 or 12 amp models to save some money.

I'd for sure get a "smart charger" no matter what you do. Any other charger will reduce the lifespan of your battery if you leave it hooked up all the time.

For me, it's just easy to plug the boat in whenever it's in my driveway. This means that even if I come in on a saturday night with completely dead batteries -- by Sunday morning they are typically very close to 100% again. Even if I don't go out on a Sunday, the promariner can switch over to a maintenance charge and kick on every few hours to check the voltage and make sure they are still topped off.

jet
05-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah..Im looking at the promariner dual charger. Was just wondering what people were gravitating to??

mapleleaf
05-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Im doing the same thing. I was going to cut out a drop down box but under the seat in mine but that just adds hours more to my to-do-list. So Im taking the easier approch and moving both batts to the left side wall of the boat and storage area and puting a perko switch by the driverside. I will post batt pics here later. Jet

I'd like to do the same, mainly for weighting issues. My Conbrio seems to like leaning on the drivers side, pretty sure the amps are headed over to the left as well.......

Diggs
05-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I found some pics. This was actually on our 2007 22SSV, but concept is the same. We built a false wall and carpeted it to look factory and put the perko on the wall. Could not use battery boxes cause they sat too high...... Can' t remember what type of battery it was. Thought it was an oddyssy, but maybe it was a blue top.

wotan2525
05-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I found some pics. This was actually on our 2007 22SSV, but concept is the same. We built a false wall and carpeted it to look factory and put the perko on the wall. Could not use battery boxes cause they sat too high...... Can' t remember what type of battery it was. Thought it was an oddyssy, but maybe it was a blue top.

Digg -- Your boats are always amazing. Do you have the secret to perfect wakeboat karma or do you just eat a bundle of depreciation every year?

Diggs
05-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Ha ha.... both