PDA

View Full Version : Impressions new Supra Launch LTS

fire fighter
02-24-2005, 03:27 AM
i just got my new Launch LTS. Here are my impressions so far.

the boat is gorgeous. Great paint scheme, great interior appearance, quality throughout what can be seen externally.

A few scratches in the hull on delivery. i did not note them until this morning (the salesman brought the boat by at 10 PM last night). The boat is a new 2004 Launch LTS, but it sat at the dealership for a year. I'm not certain whether I should be upset over the number of small, but somewhat noticeable surface blemishes I've found. I've tried rubbing them out with Maguires polish. Better, but not gone. I also found a small gouge that looks like it had been filled in with some sort of bondo and repainted, right in front of the bow light on the very front of the boat. The size is pretty small (about 1/3") but still noticeable due to a slight depression and a different color. Again, not sure whether I should raise a stink with the dealer over this.

I installed an Heater Craft shower. It required me to remove the trim panels in the rear trunk. Doing so exposed the work done at the factory. I noted multiple holes drilled into the fiberglass in more than a few places, in an attempt it appears to screw the trim panel screws in place. I would guess their was easily 30% of the drilling locations with two or more "attempts" at screwing down the panel. In one location it appeared they drilled through and realized it would go into the gas tank, so the they backed out the screw and moved it over an inch or two. My gas tank was covered in at least eight ounces of ATF fluid from the moron who filled what i believe to be the hydraulic wake plate reservoir/pump. Rather than clean it up he just put the trim panel on top of the ATF fluid. It had pooled in the depressions on the tank near the mount clamp sites.

I found differing types of screws for the same type of mounting. Some were longer or larger in diameter. It was like the knucklehead who installed the trunk just put any old screw into the board.

In the process of installing the shower pump I grounded the pump motor to the engine block. I tapped into a wire that was grounded to the engine by a wire connector. Repeatedly I could not get my multimeter to indicate my ground wire had actually grounded to the engine. I ended up removing the wire that i had tapped into, that had been bolted to the engine, and inspected the connection. They had crimped the wire to the connector without stripping the insulation from the wire!! I had my dealer install a perfect pass, and I believe the wire is a ground for the PP. Either way, it was not properly grounded.

I also found the throttle connection to the perfect pass not properly installed (clamp nuts were together; not one on each side of throttle mounting bracket). Amazing!

While I had all the trim removed from the trunk I decided I should probably inspect whatever work I could, since it consisted of a signficant number of gas lines, both liquid and vapor. Out of probably ten hose clamps I checked, three were left extremely loose. I know you should not overtighten hose clamps. These were loose enough to be turned with a bare hand.

After spending two hours trying to figure out why my ground did not work I finally got the shower installed.

I'm a bit concerned over the quality control at Skier's Choice, based on what I have seen. I'll bring the incident up with the dealership and Skier's Choice. My salesman was a great guy. He drove four hours to my house to drop the boat off, arriving around 10 PM last night. He probably did not get home until 3 AM. Too bad not all connected with my new boat are as professional.

Tomorrow I'm going over every wire connector, hose clamp, fitting, nut, bolt, screw. I'm appalled at the lack of quality control at the manufacturer. This is my first boat purchase. If this is normal, then the entire industry needs to get a clue. Who will take responsiblity for the loss of a boat or a life if if one of the gas lines came loose, or a wire shorts out and causes a fire? I work as a firefighter and have been to a number of boat fires. They are frightening, especially when someone is aboard. Let's not mention the explosive risk of gasoline vapors and sparks.

Let's hope the rest of my boating experience goes better. Tomorrow it goes into the water for the first time. I'm a bit nervous.

DrewT
02-24-2005, 10:07 AM
I have had many panels off of my boat, 2001 Launch SS. I have found quality work thoughout. I think what you have run into with your boat is unusual and I would most definately discuss it with your dealer.

flynndog
03-05-2005, 03:57 AM
I purchased an 03 comp lts and have been dissapointed with many things about the boat. The most serious was severe gel coat cracks that formed in the first few months of use. After repair the cracks reappeared within the year. Its been over 2 months since dropping boat off for 2nd gel coat repair and other warranty issues that were noted two years ago. I've also seen and heard of many others with similar gel coat problems the last two years with supras. Some other problems were- depth finder had no display because wires not spliced to transducer, walkthrough window gap to large so window fell through and jammed, dash not very sturdy so mounting hardware all rattled off and dash cracked ( last two items I noted on delivery walk through), found inspection plate in floor crushing fuel filter, ski locker bilge pump not working, ski pylon mounting hardware loose, rear seat did not fit on support shelf ( caused sagging), not properly sealed below rub rail causing water to enter boat through hull deck seam. We baby our boat and ski by 7 am on the delta or at a private lake. Better quality should be expected, especially considering what these toys cost. Also, these issues were not resolved in a timely and professional manner by the dealer or manufactuer.

fire fighter
03-05-2005, 04:02 AM
i have found more problems since my last post. All minor, the boat would still run. My dealer is aware of the problems and is working to solve them. He says Supra is aware of the problems too. I am just amazed a boat could have so many flaws, yet tout their high levels of quality control. Where is it??

w8edwake
03-07-2005, 08:07 PM
I had some minor spider cracking and got it fixed under warranty, so far the fix is holding up. I am worried that I will have cracking (either at the origional location or at a new location) this year and the warranty is up. It could be a pretty big expense to have it fixed (I wish the warranty was greater than one year on the gel).

I put 230 hours on in the first year with virtually no problems. Although I did have to switch dealers because of poor customer service.

My experience with Skiers Choice directly and my new dealer has been top notch.

Make sure you post on here how things turn out with your new Launch LTS.

fire fighter
03-21-2005, 11:07 PM
i've decided to check/adjust/inspect every inch of my boat, given the issues I've had with the quality control at the factory, or lack thereof.

I decided to check the prop shaft alignment. Sure enough, it was way out of alignment. I had to shift the engine about 1/2" at the front engine mount to get the clearance correct. It is supposed to be set with a tolerance of .002". My clearance was .05 inches!! Ouch. I wonder how long my strut bearing or prop shaft would have survived with the motor that far out of alignment.

What is up with all these issues? I'm starting to think my boat was assembled on New Year's Day or after the big company picnic. Too many problems with quality control checks, or lack of checks!!!

Here is a list of the problems I've found (and fixed on my own, with parts provided under warranty, as needed).

- rear speakers on stereo did not work, disconnect under dash

- courtesy light out. Three bad wire connections at wire butt connectors.

- Leaking/weeping water hoses

- Perfect pass throttle cable improperly installed

- Steering wheel lose, misaligned (when going straight in water wheel is turned to 9 o clock). Bolt that affixes steering was hand tight.

- Fuel line hose clamps lose under rear hatch

- ATF fluid dumped on gas tank near wake plate hydraulic pump, most likely caused when filling pump reservoir

- Green wire to engine block not making ground (been told it is a ground for fuel system)

- Front fat sack bag had leak at location on bag where fitting screws in (bag manufacturing defect it appears)

- Fat sack solenoid/valve seal leaking at hose connection.

- Side panels not adequately bolted to fiberglass, allowing gaps between side pocket and hull. Stuff falls down below due to 1/2" gap.

- Crack in plastic on the dash. Looks like the entire dash will need to be removed (unless you can tell me a better way to fix this silver colored trim piece immediately above the wheel)

Legace
03-23-2005, 01:35 PM
What's the dealer saying/doing about these problems? Have you talked to anyone at Skier's Choice directly?

zeus
03-24-2005, 01:16 AM
I can't speak for anyone, but I have an 04 Comp LTS. I am very happy with the boat. It performs flawlessly. It has as good a wake as any boat I have been behind. We ski into 35 off and the wake is soft, flat and NO spray. It is also dead quiet.
The boat is absolutely gorgeous! Can't say that about all manufacturers. The fit an finish is tight and right on mine...no complaints.
I have had a few very minor warranty issues, all have been dealt with by the dealer with total professionalism. I had a small tear in the bow cover where a snap was located, Supra replaced it- no problem. A decal peeled up ever so slightly- replaced it. I feel bad for those few with less than satisfying times. I hope for your sake the factory & dealer fix you issues promptly and properly because the boat should be great.
good luck
________
VAPORIVERS (http://vaporizers.net)

fire fighter
03-24-2005, 11:52 AM
actually almost all of the problems have been fixed by me.

-i checked all fuel line connections and tightened as needed.
-i filled wake plate reservoir to the proper amount.
-i cleaned up the spilled ATF fluid left all over gas tank
-i rewired the courtesy light.
-i fixed the rear speakers
-i dissassembled the fat sack valves, now they work properly.
-i tightened all the hose fittings; no leaks now.
-i checked and adjusted the prop shaft clearance
-the dealer sent me a new fat sack. i replaced the leaky one (easy fix)
-i put teflon tape on the fat sack connections, no more leaks.
-i aligned the steering wheel and tightened the steering wheel nut
-i properly attached the perfect pass throttle connections.

the only thing i have not done yet is fix the gap in the side compartments and replace the broken dash trim.

the boat is beautiful, i'll give you that. Looks great. It runs great too. The problems were largely superficial (except prop shaft alignment). i would not describe it as quiet, but who would expect that with a 350 V8 lurking two feet behind the driver.

zeus
03-24-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm glad you were able to fix your issues. The factory or the dealer should compensate you for it in some way. I have a hard time understanding how the dealer could miss all those items when they do their own prep- hey they include it in the price we pay, right! I'd be chocked at them first.
When I said quiet, I mean it is very quiet for an inboard, certainly the quietest I have been in. I have friends with a 91 Centurion (loud), 95 nautique (pretty good), 98 nautique (very loud), malibu sportster (much louder).
It looks good on the lake. Almost everytime I was out someone would comment on it- "prettiest boat on the lake".
Buying new should be all smiles in my book. Hopefully a couple of stellar days in the sun and cutting up the glass at dawn will make it all seem less stressful.
________
MAZDASPEED3 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazdaspeed3)

fire fighter
03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
We took it out yesterday. air temp was 57, water temp was 49. My wife loves to water ski. the water was smooth as glass. Despite the cold air/water, she had a great time. Yeah, i'm sure time will heal the pain, as long as we don't have any further issues.

My dealer told me that Skier's Choice would be contacting me to make my buying experience a much more enjoyable affair after all my problems. That elated me. I thought it was great that a company would care enough to make things right. That was about a month ago. I have not heard from them yet.

Time to right the nasty letter to the president of the company.

dmgx
03-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Fire Fighter, sorry about your problems. Email me with your contact info name, address, dealership, Hull number and of course phone # and we'll get this figured out. thanks, Jay Warren [email protected]

dmgx
03-30-2005, 06:15 PM
I just found out that Customer service has been in contact with you and has all your information, so no need to email me. Regards, Jay Warren

flynndog
04-02-2005, 02:42 AM
I picked my boat up from the dealer last weak. Apparently three more months in the shop was not enough time to get it right.
- One gel coat crack at bow eye still not fixed. I took 1 close up and 1 wide view picture to clearly show all cracks.This crack was specifically discussed because it was one of the 2 missed at the first attempt at gel coat fix.

- Walk through window gap still not fixed. Supposedly they could not get Supra to respond with approval to remount window. Very frustrating considering I called Supra directly to resolve these issues last year. Rob at Supra assured me that he would speak to the dealer, set me up for repairs this winter, and call me back. Never heard from him and dealer said they never did either. What the !!!! ? Again, gap was noted at delivery and window fell through over a year ago!

-Bilge pump/circuit breaker still not fixed. Originally, bilge ran continuously, anytime power was on bilge would not shut off. After supposed repair bilge only works from switch, no auto float opperation. 50 amp circuit breaker also not working, stated that I was willing to pay for that. Neither was fixed. Out of principle I have not fixed some things, but I have given up and will just fix them myself.

-Not all speakers worked after dash install, found wires not connected properly.
- Steering wheel center cap lost, had to look around shop for bow seat cushion.

This has been our typical experience at the dealership. It has been a trial to resolve even minor issues. Our boat has spent approx. 7 months at their shop over two years.

fire fighter
04-03-2005, 10:51 AM
i've fixed all the problems i've found so far. Mainly because i'm sure of my mechanical skills and attention to detail, not so sure about the dealer maintenance personnel. It's also a hassle to drive my boat to the dealer where i purchased it to fix the problems. We have a local Supra dealer, but i did not think it was right to burden his dealership with problems on a boat he did not sell me. Either way, it is almost easier for me to fix them.

My dealer has agreed to do the initial maintenance free of charge. I won't use it, since i don't want to drive 300 miles to get it done. I wish they could have given me something i would have used.

Supra has agreed to send me two polo and two T-Shirts. Yeoow.

John

IndyMatt
08-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Fire Fighter,
Just curious, if you get around to dealing with the gap in your side pockets, let me know how you repaired that. I am having a similar problem in my 04 Sun Sport. The through bolts are accessable and tight but nothing to secure the panel in the middle. Any thought or pics would be appreciated. I dont want to remove the vinyl to add another bolt, so my only thought would be to remove the panel and reattach with a bead of 3M 5200 marine adhesive- I just hate using glue on stuff like that.