PDA

View Full Version : SSV 10 hour service

Vapor-rub
02-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Skier's Choice,

I recently purchased a brand new 2004 Supra SSV. I am coming up on 10 hours and am getting ready to perform the 10 hour service as required in my owners manual. To save some money, I plan on doing a few things myself. I have owned boats for years and am very comfortable doing such things as changing the fluids and such. However, this being my first V-drive inboard (I've owned direct drives before) I have a few questions.

1) Will performing required scheduled mainatanence myself have any effect on my warranty? My dealer told me it would not. I could also find nothing in the owners manual that indicated that the warranty would be void if I preformed scheduled maintanence myself, but I just want to make sure.

2) Regarding the changing of fluids, the Skier's Choice owners manual states that only the engine oil must be changed during the 10 hour service. All other fluids (transmission) only require a check. However, the Indmar owners manual that came with my owners packet states that both the engine oil and the transmission oil/fluid must be changed? I asked my dealer specifically if the transmission fluid/oil would be changed if they performed my 10 hour service and they told me that it would not. They said that it would only be checked.

Is Indmar being overly cautious by stating that the transmission fluid/oil must be changed after the first 10 hours?

3) Can you clarify which transmission components are in my 2004 SSV? The manuals that came with my boat mention a Walter's V-drive, "if equiped". I'm assuming that my SSV must have the Walter's V-drive being that is is a V-drive. However, I just wanted to get clarification. Can you let me know exactly which transmission components are in my SSV?

Thanks very much!

silvtongdvl
02-28-2005, 10:37 AM
The factory guys don't post here much - but I can tell you about my SSV - 03. I am sure not much has changed. !st - Its a good idea to let the dealership do the first oil change if possible. At that time they do check the tranny oil - didn't change it . Looking for water in your oil. It usually shows up as little pink on the stick. The other thing they would or should do is repair anything you found wrong and answer all the questions you are having concerning the boat. Its almost best to let customers go out with enough info to break it in - then once the newness wears off , plus they have used the controls some - it easier to talk to and explain what everything does and what to look for.
It should be a walter v-drive and you can verify this by reading the tag on the v-drive while you have the cover off.
Changing your own oil doesn't void your warrenty - just keep real good records of when it was done ,what kind of oil used . Should there be a problem down the road - you have records w/ reciets are accepted in most cases.
Sounds like you have good dealer - I believe all his answers are correct and he is trying to keep you informed. Hope you like your new boat !!!! Where are you located????
~S~

Vapor-rub
02-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks again for the info..... You answered some ballast questions for me a week or two ago (a.ka. nauty from wakeboarder.com)

I am in the Dallas Area. Yes, the dealer up here is fantastic. He even suggested that it wouldn't be a big deal to take care of the 10 hour service myself. I have to bring the boat in for a few warranty issues (depth finder, bildge pump, accessory outlet), so I will have the dealer look over the boat then. I just think paying $200 for an oil change and to have the dealer look over my boat for any problems that may be a result of factory defects is a little crazy.

It cost me just under $18 to buy the supplies for the oil change. Looking over the boat for manufacturer defects should be something the dealer does at no charge. Can you imagine buying a car and driving it for 100 miles and then bringing it back to the dealer to have them check it over for factory issues and then charge you $200 to do so? I have no issue with paying for actual services such as oil changes, etc. Except than the fact that they charge an arm and a leg to do so. However, that is just the norm in the marine industry. So rather than just complain about it, I choose to just do these services myself.

I do have plenty of questions for the dealer when I bring it in to get the warranty issues taken care of. The main question I have is about operating temperature. The manual says the normal operating temp should be between 160-180. My boat runs around 175-178. It is under the suggested mark of 180, but it seems a little high to me. My old Nautique always ran around 160. Granted, different engines, but I guess being used to lower temps I am just a little concerned.

silvtongdvl
02-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I remember - sorry.

I do the services myself too - I also thought ahead when purchasing the boat and made him throw in the first service. ;)
Yep - 200 bucks to change oil is crazy. I need to start a oil change place just for boats - 50 bucks. You suck the oil out the dipstick and change the oil filter. Some oil filters take some getting to but not all . I buy the penzoil they call out from Walmart & use a Fram oil filter. Change every 50 hrs. The book sayes 100 I think. Because it only cost 15 bucks at walmart to buy the stuff - I change it more often. Besides think of the loads we put on this engines and how much money it would take to replace the engine.
Tell Marty hi for me - he might know me personally - but he knows of me through the forums and Rinkers down here in Houston.

Another trick I have learned is to change oil just before the last couple times you use it for the end of the season. Then after you go out the first couple times in the spring - change it again. Its about carbon build up and deposits in the block - long story.
Have you boarded behind her yet?????
~S~

Vapor-rub
02-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Ditto on Wal-mart and the Fram filter. I think next time I will use the pump/dipstick route. With my Nautique direct drive, it was simple to just run the oil drain hose through the bildge and let gravity do it's work. With the SSV, the drain hose has a long way to go to get to the bildge drain at the stern of the boat. Today I changed the oil and it took FOREVER for the oil to drain. It was worth the wait though. The engine purred like a little kitty afterwards.

Yep, I did get a chance to ride on Sunday. I only took one set. It was just a wee bit nippy. Tomorrow is looking better. I am heading out with some friends to ride all day. I can't wait! This boat is awesome!

Thanks again for the advice.

- Richard

texas_21V
02-28-2005, 11:33 PM
I recently picked up my 05 21V from WSBD and had the same question about the temp. Water here has been about 51 degrees, so I figured the engine would sit right at the 160 degree mark. Instead, like you, I was closer to the 170-175 range most of the time and was slightly concerned. Talked to Marty at WSBD and he said that this was well within normal for these boats, so I'm not too concerned. Kind of makes me wonder what it will do in the heat of the summer though.

Jon

Vapor-rub
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Jon,

Good to hear. That makes me feel a little better. My temp did come down a few degrees after changing the oil yesterday. I suppose during the break in period with the engine burning more oil than usual, the temps run a little higher?

silvtongdvl
03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Mine runs around the same temp as yours. Do notice now that stopping your boat engine for a few minutes and the restarting - the temp is 120 or 130 only after a few minutes. That won't happen in the summer time here in Texas guys.

Its nice to see some more activity here - The boats are awesome.
~S~