PDA

View Full Version : Vibration going into reverse

rgengler
02-27-2005, 11:43 PM
I have a 98 supra comp. I am getting a slight vibration in the shaft when going into reverse. I live in the desert pretty far from any dealers, so getting into a shop is tough. I have looked through the owners manual and tried to follwo the instructions about checking the shaft flange clearance. Unfortunately, there is no clearance in my shaft /flang- they are compressed against each other with absolutely no space between them? Is this right? Is ther an easy way to adjust the shaft, or do I need to haul this thin into the city to have it done at a marina?

KenG
02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
The vibration could have a number of causes. I suppose this is a vibration that you have never experienced before while in reverse? It could be as simple as worn strut bushings.

Concerning your question about the flanges: The transmission flange is supposed to be tight and flush against the drive shaft flange when bolted together. To check the clearence, you must remove the four bolts holding the two flanges together and then measure the clearence between the mating surfaces. After removing the bolts, don't slide the drive shift too far from the transmission or you could ding your prop against the rudder. Loosening the packing nut will make it easier to slide the drive shaft away from the transmission.

Once the flanges are apart, it is a good idea to clean both surfaces before checking the clearences.

The drive shaft & flange should slide easily up to the transmission flange and mate together without the need to force the drive shaft flange in any direction. The thickest feeler gauge you should be able to fit in between the mating surfaces is 0.003".

After checking the clearence, apply a thin layer of grease on the mating surfaces before sliding the flanges together, then install and tighten the four bolts.