PDA

View Full Version : Boat Sputtering

tomcat
05-29-2011, 04:59 PM
2004 supra ssv, Indmar 350 tbi. Runs fine for awhile and then starts sputtering. I wipe out the carb and and it runs fine again for a while and then starts sputtering again. Looks like there is water in fuel cause u can see some moisture in carb and moisture builds up all around outside of carb, is this normal. I have added heet to the gas already. It has helped some but still sputters. Any Ideas?

haugy
05-29-2011, 08:06 PM
When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? That's the first thing I'd change. Even if it isn't the cause they need to be changed each year.

If it has been changed recently, how about the fuel pump? Operating properly and putting out good pressure?

docdrs
05-29-2011, 08:15 PM
When was the last time you changed the fuel pump? That's the first thing I'd change.

I think he meant fuel filter

haugy
05-29-2011, 11:08 PM
I think he meant fuel filter

Yep.

Good grief, I typed it wrong and put "pump" realized I was wrong, and went back to type in filter and it still came out pump. DOH!!! :D

DAFF
05-29-2011, 11:11 PM
TBI and a carb???

I think the fuel filter needs to be changed and perhaps the tank drained using a suction hose. There is water in the fuel causing the engine to sputter. The fuel seperator is at capacity of water which is spitting the water into the throtle body...

Pull the filter and try not to spill any inide the hull. Pour the contents into a glass jar and wait a few minutes. If there is water you will know !!!

tomcat
05-29-2011, 11:43 PM
sorry yeah not carb but throttle body. That is just it i havent been able to find the fuel filter to change i have followed the fuel lines to the fuel pump and havent found no in line filter. Is the fuel filter a internal filter in the tank? The fuel pump is working good and putting out good pressure.

haugy
05-31-2011, 09:45 AM
You should have a fuel water seperator. It should look like a small oil filter that is placed in the line somewhere, normally near the engine. Yours being a fuel injected boat may have a small inline somewhere.

tomcat
05-31-2011, 07:32 PM
dont have a fuel/water seperator filter. I followed the the 2 fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump and there isnt a inline filter. Any sugguestions? Should i just install a inline filter.

beast 496
05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
You should install a Fuel water seperating filter assy 10 micron for EFI units. Change the filter element every spring. Al

docdrs
05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
You should install a Fuel water seperating filter assy 10 micron for EFI units. Change the filter element every spring. Al

i always wondered why they had one in my 99 carbed moomba but not my 09 mpfi supra?