PDA

View Full Version : Water coming in boat

rgengler
02-27-2005, 11:45 PM
I have a 98 comp. I am getting a large amount of water in the bottom of the boat at normal driving conditions. I think it is coing in through the shaft. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust/ correct this?

silvtongdvl
02-28-2005, 10:49 AM
That would be your packing leaking - considering the age of your boat - new packing might be required here. There is two different sizes of packing that skiers choice has used.
To adjust =
There should be a big nut with a smaller thinner nut below it or should I say closer to the bottom of the boat. Loosen the smaller thin one first, then tighten the big nut ( I recommend only hand tight like an oil filter) then retighten small nut (its called the jamb nut) .
To replace - loosen small nut - then big nut. Remove old packing with packing puller (can be found at most auto parts stores) or small dential tool. Realign new packing with splits at 12, 6, 3.9 o'clock postions.

Remember - your packing IS suppose to leak some - a drip every few seconds.
~S~

KenG
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
If you prefer to have absolutely no water entering your bilge area from the drive shaft, then install a PSS Shaft Seal system. I installed one on my 1998 Legacy several years ago and it works great. No packing to wear out and only minimal adjustments necessary.