PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Supra Sunsport 351w needs muffler

kreed57
05-31-2011, 09:43 AM
I have a 1991 Supra Sunsport with the fiberglass crossover muffler and it has started to leak. I need to replace it or do something else for an exhaust. What do you suggest?

haugy
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
www.skidim.com has some parts. But it doesn't look like they have your exact part, if I'm right about what you need.

Go to their exhaust section and see what you can find.

riveredge
06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
It's just fiberglass, you can probably repair it with a little fiberglass cloth and resin pretty easily, compared to a new one. Leaks are pretty common on those, and careful repairs are usually sufficient.

gstar
06-16-2011, 07:15 PM
If you're still looking into this, my muffler (1992 Mariah) was the same and went belly-up in an impeller failure overheat. I was unable to find any direct replacement and ended up getting two in-line mufflers instead (one for each side between the manifolds and the exit into the floor on each side).

They have that style on the skidim site, but my repair guy got them from supra for twice as much. Too bad for me.

Haven't had the boat back yet to see if the sound changes dramatically. Good luck.

gstar
06-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Also worth noting, the supra part is approximately 17 inches long and the skidim part says it's 13 inches long. No problem I can see with the longer one fitting on my boat, but that might be important if your space is limited.

gstar
07-09-2011, 11:24 PM
As an update for anyone needing to replace this style muffler in the future, the replacment mufflers I got from supra are also made by ultra, which I believe is what skidim sells on their site. The separate in line mufflers sound about the same as the old crossover fiberglass one did minus the rattle I used to have with the old muffler.