PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting

tomelenbaas
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm hoping someone out there can help diagnose a problem with my boat not starting. I have a 1988 Supra Mariah with the Ford 351 PCM engine.

When I turned the ignition key, I heard the oil warning "beep" I get when the ignition is on but the engine not running. When I tried to fire it up I got one click then nothing. I'm not even getting power to the dash (clock, blower motors, horn, etc.). I let it sit for an hour or so and the same thing happened - beep, click, nothing. The battery is fully charged so I know that's not the issue.

I thought maybe the starter solenoid, but the fact that I'm not getting power to the accessories seems odd. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Jetlink
05-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Check the terminal connections on your battery and make sure they are snug. Same thing happened to me yesterday, installed a new battery at home, fired up no sweat, trailer it out to the river and no start. After snugging it down it fired right up.

bwgibson
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I have a 89 mariah and my issues have been very similiar although the gauges have been working. Check the 40 amp breaker above starter relay and make sure that it has not popped. Then the next choice is the battery. Make sure it is fully charged. Check also the starter relay.

Supra-in-steamboat
06-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Starter? When is the last time it started, or prior to that, have you heard any different sounds from the starter? Two years ago my boat starter began to die. It was cranking the motor over most times, but the times it didn't start, it sounded like the starter was running without cranking the motor and making a "winding down" type sound. Try it again and it would start, almost like a dead spot that needed advancing. Eventually it just clicked and no action at all, just the beep. Hope this helps, good luck.

tomelenbaas
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the input. I pulled and cleaned all of the battery connections. Turned out to be a bad ground.