PDA

View Full Version : I need a creative idea for a bumpstop

haugy
05-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I need something to keep the window on the windsheild that opens from hitting the fiberglass. When you open the window, and lay it down, it lays right on the fiberglass of the boat. From the previous owners it has already made a good mark. I would like to stop it.

I need your ideas or tricks on a window bumpstop that won't look ridiculous.

sybrmike
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Mine was beat up pretty bad in that area, as well (one of the many gel repairs). My temporary solution is a 3/4" square clear rubber furniture pad held on to the windshield frame with exterior double sided tape. The frame has some funky angles at the contact point & don't think the tape will hold up long term with heat/sun.

I think ultimately it might take a rubber stopper screwed to the windshield frame or a rubber pad 5200'd to the hull - but either might be headed towards the ridiculous looking side? Hope somebody already has the elegant solution...

Salty87
05-31-2011, 03:38 PM
mine has a plastic fitting on the lower corner of the hinged frame. it has left a small mark on the fiberglass but nothing like a scratch. the piece seems to be original. it's nothing fancy....the item on the bottom of the left hand column on this page might be it:
http://www.crowleymarine.com/marine/general/windshield-accessories.cfm

it's just a small plastic piece that swivels. maybe it's the upper right item. there are a few other pads listed here that would work too.

jsandy
05-31-2011, 04:21 PM
i had the same problem. i went to lowes in there nut and bolt section. they have a tray of corks and i found a 1in tall rubber cork that i glued to the windshield and it works perfect. cost me a whole doller.

haugy
05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
mine has a plastic fitting on the lower corner of the hinged frame. it has left a small mark on the fiberglass but nothing like a scratch. the piece seems to be original. it's nothing fancy....the item on the bottom of the left hand column on this page might be it:
http://www.crowleymarine.com/marine/general/windshield-accessories.cfm

it's just a small plastic piece that swivels. maybe it's the upper right item. there are a few other pads listed here that would work too.

BINGO!!!! Damn son, right on the money. Nice, thanks for the link.

csuggs
06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I had the same problem except mine had damaged the vinyl, not the fiberglass. After the vinyl was replaced I installed a plastic ball & socket style catch that actually holds the window frame away from the vinyl and keeps the window from moving at the same time. I did have to make a block to mount it to so that it stood far enough off the stationary window panel. It looks something like what's in the link:

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/5276-nylon-stud-socket-catch.html

You can kind of see it in this pic . . .

Blackntan90
06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Wish i could relate...mine has no center windshield at all. It was gone before I bought the boat, I did ask the dealer to ask the P.O. but he said he did not have it. I get bugs all over the front of the doghouse from towing on the hiway, and can get a bit chilly at times on the water. Wish I could relate...

jimmyk102
06-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I have the same situation. I just recently took a rubber wine cork & sliced off a 1/4" put some adhesive on the windshield side & bingo. Yes the cork is tan & windshield is black, yet I don't see it when it's closed & the windshield is usually open anyways. Cost: 1 bottle of wine with friends - yet when we got "done" we had several corks.