PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass repair prep

Ptownkid
06-03-2011, 09:54 AM
So i have some small cracks around the strut on the inside of the boat. They are almost unnoticeable and allow what appears to be an extremely slow trickle of water in... Everything feels solid so at the moment i have no intention of completely rebuilding that part of the boat, but I do want to glass over the perimeter of the area that holds the strut.

The big question is how much prep work should I do? I know for sure that clean, dry, and roughed with 80 grit is important, but what about the bilge paint?

sybrmike
06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
If you've got leaking cracks in that area, odds are the plywood core is rotten which will have to be replaced eventually. A heavy glass patch over the area might get you by for a while (at your own risk - no power turns!).

For prep - I'd grind down through the bilge paint to bare fiberglass & extend the repair area out ~6-8" all around using a few layers of heavy woven bi-directional cloth and epoxy resin (mat & polyester aren't as strong). Once you're done glassing, sand and coat with gel, bilgecoat, or other suitable paint.

Sucks to hear, but good luck.

Okie Boarder
06-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Where exactly is the water leaking in at? I had some delamination from a previous repair from the original owner that was letting water in when I first got my boat. Mine was more around the shaft log though. I'd consider fixing it and doing it complete and correct. If it is cracked and water is coming in, it will just be a matter of time where enough stress will cause it to break which will make for a really bad day.

Ptownkid
06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
It's hard to tell exactly where the water is coming from, it's so little I didn't even notice it at first...

I do plan on doing a full repair this fall.

Longitudinaldreamer
06-03-2011, 03:27 PM
I agree with Sybrmike.

Just a note about using epoxy or polyester resins...gel coat does not work well over epoxy-two part urethane paint with a correct etching primer is the best thing to use with epoxy. Epoxy is much nicer to work with IMO...more money though.

Ptownkid
06-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Can you reword your explanation? I'm a little confused...

Thankfully this is a small temporary repair and it's on the inside...

mapleleaf
06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
P, come down to the westend next weekend and watch a rookie glass in a shaft log and a strut backing plate......

Ptownkid
06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Dammit....i totally would but that's the weekend that I HAVE to do this repair as it's the only one I can get up to the cottage solo...

mapleleaf
06-04-2011, 12:47 AM
I picked up a some west system stuff today: 6'X3' cloth, resin and they're 106 hardener (supposed to dry a little slower). Forgot to pick up the thickened Epoxy, we can compare notes when this all done...
I'm in the same shoes, its next weekend with a bit of friday, should have my drive line stuff back to get my alignment's good....

mapleleaf
06-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Sorry it's their 206 hardener, I'm truly a rookie at this, so i'm gonna practice work this weekend.... I think I was wrong about the thickened epoxy, do I just make that up with resin and hardener?