PDA

View Full Version : Carb Problem

SkiLew
03-08-2005, 06:30 PM
My carb seems to have excess gas dripping into the bowl when it is shutdown. It dripps so much gas after shutting down that the carb actually will start to leak out onto the engine. But the boat seems to be running very well? Any thoughts to this problem.

silvtongdvl
03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Sounds like a leaking needle valve or power piston problem if its a holley. Have you changed fuel pumps lately????? You may have dirt in the needle vlv seat. Depending on age and type of carb - it may need a rebuild or replace the holley with the eld. like the other guy did.
~S~

Salty87
03-11-2005, 11:37 AM
yup, my holley was doing the same thing. it's sitting in a bucket now while i decide what to do with it. i didn't bother pricing a rebuild. the edelbrock is much simpler and it was very easy to swap out....except for the new fuel line, i have to give that a higher difficulty level because you need tube bending tools/skills/friends.

if you go this route.... summitracing.com has really good info online and install instrux.

SkiLew
03-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks to all the replies about my carb problem.

Fixed carb this weekend. Adjusted float and cleaned needle valve and seat. Just like everyone said and this seemed to have fix the problem.

Now how do I adjust the air idle screws if it is needed?

And In case I over adjusted the float does anyone know what the symptoms are if the float is set too low?

silvtongdvl
03-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Too low float settings result in hesitation when taking off & or loss of power in the mids. Check with a local boat repair for the vac settings. You would need a vac gauge to set correctly. I would also change the cap.rotor, points if so equipped, plugs and fuel/water seperator filter if you have not done this recently. Then set carb.
~S~