PDA

View Full Version : Santera steering question

kbrauer
06-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I recently picked up a 1999 Santera, the boat is in excellent condition. My question involves the steering. When I let go of the steering wheel the boat goes very hard right. Is this normal?? I realize a little drift is going to occur, but this is way beyond what I would consider normal. I have driven many boats, inboards, outboards,I/O etc..... never had this issue. Anything I should be checking or have looked at. Thanks.

haugy
06-04-2011, 10:35 AM
No, not normal. It should track straight without holding it.

I'm not sure what could be causing it other than maybe out of alignment and the flow of water causes it to move. But it's definitely not normal. Some others in here might be able to offer more insight, but it's not something to leave unchecked as it may develop into a major problem.

Seabeejamie
06-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I had a prop failure (read wife driving boat) and had to borrow a replacement for a weekend. It was 1" bigger than the stock, (as far as blade tip to tip goes) it did the same thing. Got the right prop that Monday and the problem went away.

kbrauer
06-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for help, I am going to check with dealer down the street to see what issue may be.

thegorilla
06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
hi kbrauer,
I just got a '99 Santera as well and am fixing up a few things. Mine does the same thing: pulls right when you aren't holding the wheel. The prop on mine is pretty new and the previous owner gave me a prop puller as well, so maybe it's a different size than factory.

Please let us know if you figure it out.

thegorilla
08-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, I figured out that with a decent amount of weight in the boat, the steering is almost neutral. It will still pull a little to the right, but nothing like an empty boat.
Hope this helps.