PDA

View Full Version : Yet another post by haugy, pick a color

haugy
06-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm going to start a thread in the repair section for my boat after this, I promise.

But I need opinions. My Saltare was unfortunately painted. Even more unfortunate is that they left the stripe decals ON when then painted. So removing them has left a nice faded crater.

I'm going to have to put stripes and the supra wave back on to cover it. I'm not going with factory, that's 100% for certain.

My choices are all red, or all gray/dark charcoal'ish.

Take a look, you'll see what the boat looks like with just the red stripe. But that is a small stripe. If I do the whole set in red with the wave I don't know if it would be too much.

Thoughts? Ideas? I don't want to do white as it will make the rest of the boat look yellow since the hull isn't true white.

Safety Bob
06-05-2011, 03:14 AM
Hello Haugy, I am a fairly new member here as I just picked up an '88 Saltare in the early spring that I am working on getting in the water real soon! As a prior automotive painter as a profession (which I still do as a hobby on a regular basis), I do not think that you will be happy leaving that paint down the side of that Salty. From what I understand, that paint regardless of product quality, has a fairly high probability of causing you many problems down the road including cracking, checking, and so forth due to the flexing and exposure issues on the outside of a boat. I really do not think that it will stay in great shape for a long period of time as I am sure that you wish it would.

I also have experience working for a resin manufacturer (now out of business), but I spent five years with them and long enough to learn the intricies of working with gel coat (we made dozens of different kinds of resins). Gel coat is typically sprayed into the mold in layers with a spray gun with a very large tip (in order to get the gel coat through the gun). If you really want a beautiful and durable finish on that Salty, I would look at having someone that really knows how to spray gel coat onto the outside surface which I understand is very tricky to do. I have been informed by my supplier here in the Chicagoland area that there is a product out there that can be sprayed onto the outside surface in layers in a gel base that can be finished through wet sanding and buffing. I have not performed a lot of research on this yet, but as a painter, I have a shop set up for this process. I will be doing more research on this as I believe that I would just need a gun for spraying gel and the materials. You do have to be careful with these resins however as they use an organic peroxide catalyst (5.2 Hazardous Class) which is extremely dangerous as a hazardous material and the resin itself is flammable (made with styrene monomer). Personal protective equipment is mandatory for the skin and a respirator with the appropriate cartridge or supplied air to protect your lungs would also be strongly recommended. I believe that any cleanup of materials would have to be performed immediately after spraying as the mixing of the components will cause the gel to "kick" in a very short period of time dependent on the reaction time of the catalyst and the formula used for the product. As a painter, I definitely am going to look into spraying the gel coat as I am looking for longevity and quality! As a painter, you have to have a lot of patience as it looks like many of the Supra owners on here have with all of the restoration work they have performed. Good luck! Let me know what you find out and what you ultimately end up doing on this project of yours!:)

mapleleaf
06-05-2011, 05:43 AM
My initial thought was it's red under there, bring it back...
I'm gonna say charcoal gray...

beast 496
06-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I like the red stripe, Forget about the baby blue wave, but I would add
Supra. Great looking ride. What type of paint? Imron? or Base/clear enamal?

jsandy
06-05-2011, 12:10 PM
i would go baby blue man. i like the light color contrast against the dark. brightn it up a little plus the red/black is just beat to death

Salty87
06-05-2011, 02:34 PM
you like red, do it. now's your chance.

not that you asked but my vote is interlux perfection paint.

haugy
06-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I can see how my post was confusing by the responses. :D

The boat's gelcoat was black, the paint is black. The whole boat is black. The red stripe was part of the original decals. I left them to see how it would look.

With the gelcoat black, and the paint black, there is no paint in this equation. But since there is paint over gel, there is a BIG color difference and depth between the two.

So my question was in regard to what color stripes (in the decal location) should I get? I'm not doing the rainbow stripes.

DAFF
06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
All black with a stripe of ghost black where the original strip was. This way it looks original but updated colour scheme. Ghost black is the same colour with the additional metalic flake added to the paint.

DAFF
06-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Almost forgot !!! Pick up some alunimum brightener for your rims.. Use a small amount in the bottom of a pail and brush it on the rim. Wait a few moments and rinse. Repeat untill they sparkle like new !!!

Usually a 10/90 split on chemicial to water. Don"t try on a sunny hot day !!!! Clouds are your friends on cleaning days!!!

haugy
06-05-2011, 07:42 PM
All black with a stripe of ghost black where the original strip was. This way it looks original but updated colour scheme. Ghost black is the same colour with the additional metalic flake added to the paint.

That's kind of the direction I'm thinking of heading. I like the black stripe, I'm not sure how it would look with metal flake.....I'm kinda torn there. Could be badass, could look awful. I'm also thinking a very dark charcoal/gray to blend but stand out.

As for the rims, they are toast. Rust has gotten in behind all the coating. They'll get me through this summer since I've got new tires on, but in the winter they are getting trashed.

Safety Bob
06-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Sorry Haugy! I thought that I did read your message right, I just would not allow that to exist on my boat if I found that issue there. I would not want those rigid edges on the bottom of my side panel because of the problems that they could cause down the road. Who ever painted over that stripe at the bottom of the panel on each side made a Huge Mistake! Any painter knows to remove a stripe before painting. I think that you have several options here:
1. Place a new stripe over the existing stripe and decide whether or not to add the wave (red stripe into a red wave?).
2. Remove the old stripe and wet sand the bottom of the panel up to over the ridge to get it flat and place a stripe at the bottom of the panel all the way down.
3. Remove the lower stripe, wet sand the panel down to a flat finish and respray a couple of coats on the entire panel for a consistent finish.

I think that you should go with a single color on the panel and go with a new "Supra" logo in big letters down the side in the color of your choice. That would look sharp! It's your new baby and your choice, we are just here to help you with some options! There is a lot of room to work with down the side of that Salty!;)

Okie Boarder
06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I would be torn on this decision too. I know how you like red and red would be a strong contrast against the black. I think it would look good.

On the other hand the darker color will become somewhat of a ghost stripe, which is a cool look.

Do you want the stripe to stand out or blend in...that would be the real question. I think it would look good either way.

sybrmike
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I've seen a few black/red combo's that look really sharp, but at the same time a ghost gray would be cool (forgot who, but someone here did it & it looked great). Tough call for sure...

haugy
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I've seen a few black/red combo's that look really sharp, but at the same time a ghost gray would be cool (forgot who, but someone here did it & it looked great). Tough call for sure...

I'm going to go with gray. I got someone to photoshop the whole stripe red. Then I made the red, gray to compare. The gray or dark gray look will be much better.

Loadup
06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
haugy,
The red does pop against the black and kinda takes away instead of adding to the cool shape of the Saltare. I like the gray as well.

jet
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Man thats a nice shop. : )))

Loadup
06-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Yea, I might have just been in aww of how well the boat matched the shop going with the black and gray, and all the floor space. Big garage envy

oward1202
06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm all for the grey! Looks good and clean and also takes away from the date of the boat.

haugy
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the shop compliments. Everything that's parked in there now matches. White, black, or gray. I think I like those colors.

I'm actually using a ton of that floor space for the internals of the boat. It's practically inside out right now.

Ptownkid
06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Seriously jealous of you guys that have an indoor space to work on your boats...

docdrs
06-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I like both ......red stands out grey is subtle cool

haugy
06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Seriously jealous of you guys that have an indoor space to work on your boats...

Only takes a year and a buttload of stress to build one. :D

Well I just ordered a gray Supra Wave with a black border on it like you would see on 2001 Launch. I'll see if I can find a vinyl or decal guy here in town to do the stripes.

Anthony at Skier's Choice was very helpful, but he couldn't get me the stripes. He couldn't even get me the Rainbow stripes if I wanted them. All the older decals are no longer available.

TitanTn
06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I really thought I would have liked the red, but after seeing the gray, I'm a believer. That gray is gorgeous. Wonderful choice.

haugy
06-06-2011, 10:16 PM
The problem is now finding a good vinyl/decal maker here in Nashville.

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 11:40 PM
The problem is now finding a good vinyl/decal maker here in Nashville.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/supra-1

There is vector artwork. You don't even need a good vinyl/decal maker now. Anyone should be able to make that work with very little effort. I'd request high quality vinyl (anything with a 3M name should last really well, especially the 7100 or 7800 series.) Oddly enough, the thinner vinyl seems to be rated for a longer lifespan than the thicker stuff. I used some 3mil 3M vinyl on a car and it lasted outside for 10+ years without peeling.