PDA

View Full Version : Small crack in the hull !!!!

DAFF
06-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Noticed a small crack in the bottom of my newer Sunsport today. It looks more less stress related but after the ride yesturday I can see a little moisture wicking out from the area. The crack is about 6" long a fairly deep but not a compete sever.

Now for the bad part, it is near the front of the boat just the other side of the bildge area. Directly below the ice chest. Can I remove the ice chest and pick away the foam to repair the area from the inside? The crack doesn't seem to be very structural but is leaking for sure. I think it was caused from one of the runners on the trailer. Seems to line up just perfect !!

Any picks of this region with the cap still on would be greatly appreciated.

TitanTn
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I would think this would be an easy repair from the outside. Scratch the crack into a V shaped groove, fill with epoxy resin. Sand smooth. If it's in a spot that needs to look good, cover with gel coat and sand again.

DAFF
06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Are most marine grade epoxy resins comparable??? What if after V grooving the crack it opens up more than I expected..... Will the foam on the inside aid in the bandaid ??

TitanTn
06-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure what you're asking to compare epoxy resin to, but it will stick if you V out the crack. We're not talking about a huge V here, just what you can create with a screwdriver or pointed can puncher. The foam will not aid in anything.

Okie Boarder
06-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I had a similar crack towards the back and when I started messing with it realized it was a pretty good sized void. Mine was port side rear, right below the "waterline" where that last step in the hull is. I used a dremel to grind it away until I got the whole are opened up, then filled with epoxy. I haven't gone back to sand and gelcoat yet, but it is fixed. I did it all from the outside. Where exactly is the crack...can you post a picture of the area?

Longitudinaldreamer
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM
When you guys are talking about epoxy are you refering to polyester resin instead of say 635 thin layup epoxy resin?

I am understanding that gel coat won't work over the top of epoxy resin. I am finishing up a complete stringer rebuild using epoxy and have to be careful what I get that stuff on because gelcoat won't work over epox...least that is what several suppliers have said. I can't gelcoat the bilge area and have to use special paint for the process.

Am I incorrect to think this?

DAFF
06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
The crack is in a high impact / water pressure spot. About 6" from the keel of the boat on the Starboard side directly under the ice chest / cooler. Going this week to pick up some epoxy it will be fixed in the next day or so.