PDA

View Full Version : The Saltare project

haugy
06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Well, I finally got myself a Saltare. But it's going to be handful getting it to the level I prefer. This boat was a family friends since they bought it new. I'll be the second owner. I've ridden behind this boat when I was younger, and have great memories of enjoying. So not only was it what I was looking for, but it's got some great heritage too. It also only has just under 300hours.

It's been in a barn for years. They say they ran it last year, but couldn't start it due to the ignition was missing, and I mean missing. No key slot anywhere, and I wasn't about to hot wire it. But these are very good friends of mine, if they say they ran it last year, I believe them.

The good:
It's a big black Saltare.
Floors are 90% solid. I won't say 100% because that's a new stout floor, but goog enough for this summer.

The Bad:
Interior is rough as hell.
Carpet is nasty as hell.
Engine looks like it's been through hell.
It's been painted, and the paint job was done by blind one armed epileptic.......from hell.
Half of everything works like hell.
Trailer is original, but looks like it drove through hell.

I'll be posting progress pics as I go along, and problems as I hit them. Right now I'm dealing with a dead starter.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_20110520_171918.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_20110520_163923.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0026.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0023.jpg

haugy
06-06-2011, 11:42 AM
More

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0025.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0024.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0035.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0034.jpg

haugy
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
More

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0031.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0027.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0032.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0036.jpg

haugy
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
final set

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0022.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0044.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0037.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0041.jpg

Ptownkid
06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Oddly enough...I started a blog called the saltare project in order to document my build.

sybrmike
06-06-2011, 12:01 PM
If that's the kind of boats they have in hell - sign me up (mine was from the graveyard). Doesn't look too bad really & some good clean up could go a long way. Notice some subtle differences from my 89 - what year? 90? 91?

From the pics & descriptions - sounds like you can be on the water in no time & then just make a list, prioritize, & start bringing her back the way you want.

Congrats, again!

haugy
06-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Oddly enough...I started a blog called the saltare project in order to document my build.

Oops. :D

If that's the kind of boats they have in hell - sign me up (mine was from the graveyard). Doesn't look too bad really & some good clean up could go a long way. Notice some subtle differences from my 89 - what year? 90? 91?

From the pics & descriptions - sounds like you can be on the water in no time & then just make a list, prioritize, & start bringing her back the way you want.

Congrats, again!

Yeah, I'm spoiled. It took me 5 years to get the Mariah in meticulate shape. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient. It's a 1990 model. What do you see that's different?

The engine is going to be a big hurdle. It's heavily corroded. While the internals might be fine with low hours, most of the electrical system is shot.

The pictures do make it look better than in person though. Instead of white, the whole hull is yellow. I was using 600 grit to get it white again. I'll be wetsanding again tonight to hopefully finish it out for polish. Then using 3M Heavy duty rubbing compound, followed by 3M light rubbing compound, then Collinite wax.

sybrmike
06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Looks like the same color combo, but my white's not white - more of a bone/light gray.

Differences - no transom lift ring, plastic storage boxes in the walk through with forward hinged doors (mine are teak with bottom hinged plex doors), molded-in ice chest (one piece removable), fiberglass platform (teak), hour meter next to radio (in dash), & a few subtle differences in the top cap mold.

Corroded engine? Just keep the doghouse closed :D (until you can blast/sand/paint). I'm finding electrical is not that bad, intimidating at first, but learning as I go along. Now mostly just tedious.

So you've got a ND tower on order - swoop again?

haugy
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Looks like the same color combo, but my white's not white - more of a bone/light gray.

Differences - no transom lift ring, plastic storage boxes in the walk through with forward hinged doors (mine are teak with bottom hinged plex doors), molded-in ice chest (one piece removable), fiberglass platform (teak), hour meter next to radio (in dash), & a few subtle differences in the top cap mold.

Corroded engine? Just keep the doghouse closed :D (until you can blast/sand/paint). I'm finding electrical is not that bad, intimidating at first, but learning as I go along. Now mostly just tedious.

So you've got a ND tower on order - swoop again?

Mine is bone white (off white) as well. Just bright in the pics. But when I say it's yellow, I mean it's really yellow in some spots from sitting out in the sun.

The hour meter was actually in the dash, but they added a depth gauge, so the same yahoo who probably painted it, mounted the hour meter there. Good thinking. Because there's nothing more important to me, and needs to be in my line of sight than the hour meter. (sarcasm). Hopefully in the future that will be a good spot for a trim tab indicator.

As for the tower........:D

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one that uses this stuff?

http://www.doitbest.com/Wash_+waxes+and+polishes-Seachoice+Prod-model-81732-doitbest-sku-590835.dib?utm_source=shoppingfeeds&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_campaign=BROI

You spray it on to the yellow. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. All the yellow and scum comes right off with a sponge or brush. I wear rubber gloves. No idea what kind of acid/magic it is, but it works really well. They also make an "environmentally friendly version." That one does not work.

sybrmike
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Thank goodness they had the forethought to move the hour meter and didn't replace the sure-to-be-no-longer-functional analog clock with that depth gauge.

Ptownkid
06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I realised right after i ordered all new gauges that I should have simply not bought a new clock and I'd have a space for the depth gauge...feels like a waste to not use the clock now that I've paid for it. Oddly enough it was the most expensive gauge out of them all...

Salty87
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
starbrite is muriatic acid i think. pretty much the same as toilet bowl cleaner....of which i've used. if you can find a scrubber on a long-handled brush, it will work even better. the trailer won't like it but maybe it'll knock some rust of for you, lol.

your rear ss rail is a little different from the older models. mine doesn't have the break in the middle. the rest looks the same.

she doesn't look that bad...just put the doghouse back down. :)

haugy
06-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Am I the only one that uses this stuff?

http://www.doitbest.com/Wash_+waxes+and+polishes-Seachoice+Prod-model-81732-doitbest-sku-590835.dib?utm_source=shoppingfeeds&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_campaign=BROI

You spray it on to the yellow. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. All the yellow and scum comes right off with a sponge or brush. I wear rubber gloves. No idea what kind of acid/magic it is, but it works really well. They also make an "environmentally friendly version." That one does not work.

Ummmmm, I'm not sure about that one. The yellowing barely came off with 600 grit paper. Is your yellow just grime, or faded sun damaged gelcoat? What would it do to vinyl if it dripped on it? Or rubber? Alot of the yellowing is around my dash area.

starbrite is muriatic acid i think. pretty much the same as toilet bowl cleaner....of which i've used. if you can find a scrubber on a long-handled brush, it will work even better. the trailer won't like it but maybe it'll knock some rust of for you, lol.

your rear ss rail is a little different from the older models. mine doesn't have the break in the middle. the rest looks the same.

she doesn't look that bad...just put the doghouse back down. :)

Why won't the trailer like it? Paint? If so, then the paint on the side of mine won't either.

It won't look bad for much longer. I attacked the vinyl last week. And yeah, Exquisite is not worth the effort. It didn't do squat. I did the cleaning with my method, and it work 50 times better.

Rusty
06-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Man...these saltys look SHARP in black!

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Ummmmm, I'm not sure about that one. The yellowing barely came off with 600 grit paper. Is your yellow just grime, or faded sun damaged gelcoat? What would it do to vinyl if it dripped on it? Or rubber? Alot of the yellowing is around my dash area.

My boat was yellow/brown on the very bottom. I wet-sanded it with 600 grit and it didn't come out. 5 minutes with the hull cleaner and it looked brand new.

My trailer is in pretty good shape. I don't think the hull cleaner has ever damaged it. Not sure what it would do to vinyl but it seems fairly mild until you brush it.

I use a brush like this on a 6-foot handle. Makes the whole project take about 6 minutes (5 of those are waiting before I hose it off.)

http://www.boatingsolutions.com/8-Window-Hull-Brush-Soft---Yellow-P10905C1381.aspx

TitanTn
06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
From one of my first trips out, I got a scum line that I could not remove with anything. I tried every known cleaner I could find. Nothing would touch it. I finally resorted to wet sanding one side of the boat which took 600 grit to even touch it. It took hours. I was hopeful to find a different solution for the other side so I went to the store and found this Hull Cleaner. It took the scum line right off with very minimal scrubbing. More like wiping. I'm a believer.

haugy
06-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Well crap I hit my first road block. I'm gonna need to get friends to help me.

I replaced the coil, distributor cap, rotor, points, plug wires plugs, and the starter. I got the starter today, and it looks like the wrong one. I'm so confused. I turned the motor over with the old starter and all the pulleys went counterclockwise, meaning left hand rotation (viewed from flywheel side). So I order a new LH rotation starter for a 454 from Skidim.

It looks nothing like mine, and the only one that does is the right hand rotation. WTF??? So I figure maybe things have changed, I'll test it. It turns left hand. So I hook it up, and realize SKIDIM left out the hardware so I had to rig it up so the wires stayed connected.

Finally get to turn it over I'm thinking yay. I put a little fuel in the carb, the line for fuel into a fresh gas can. I turn the motor over and nothing, no bump nada. So I'm thinking time to see if I'm getting spark. Hmmmm that's a wee bit tricky by yourself. Any tips?

I'm gonna try and take it by my friends shop who knows engines way better than I do, and do some voltage tests and make sure I set the points right, etc.

On top of that for some reason this thing is fighting me with the power buffer. I don't know why. I'm using the 3M stuff, and I'm thinking that was a bad idea. It's pure grit and dries out in 20 seconds.

I'm beat down today.

SuperSaltAir
06-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Pull the #1 plug out and ground it to the motor with one hand while cranking with the other to check for spark or just get a spark tester from the parts store. Sounds like the coil is not powering the whole thing or maybe you jumped a space and put the wires one off on the distributer. I like the 3m stuff its not bad to work with maybe its a bit hot it always seems like it goes allot better for me early AM than any other time of the day. And I would elevate the gas can to be over the carb and I would not be shy with putting gas in the carb just dont stand over it while cranking

Ptownkid
06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
I knew next to nothing about distributors and points the other day, read this, and diagnosed my problem. Maybe it will help you too...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

it's all there...armed with that knowledge, a multimeter, and some logical analysis, you should figure out where your problem lies.

Okie Boarder
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM
haugy are you using the 3M Super Duty compound? If so, it does tend to want to dry out depending on how hot it is and what speeds and pressures your running. Use acetone to clean between applications and clean your buffing pad regularly. That helped my a lot. It seems it likes to dry and also start loading up the pad. Are you using wool or foam?

haugy
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah it's 3M. I wetsanded it so smooth with the 2000 grit, I'm going to switch to a different brand of rubbing compound that stays wet longer and is a lighter grit. See how that does.

With my POS buffer I'm stuck with cloth pads. Wool went everywhere and made the biggest mess yesterday. And foam isn't available for my buffer (POS craftsman).

I'm going to try the Sparkplug trick tonight. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm just exhausted, work, then 6 hours in the shop, and a newborn, ooooof.

I am doing something WAY cool with it tomorrow. :D Hopefully I can get the bugger started.

On a similar note: Is the best way to bleed these effing trailer brakes with a bleeder hose stuck in some brake fluid? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to bleed my new coupler for the trailer.

Okie Boarder
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I'd try something less aggressive. That super duty compound is actually about the same as 2000 grit, from what I learned when I did mine. You could jump up to the Finesse-It and do a small section to see how it looks. With wetsanding to 2000 grit you might be able to skip the compound step.

cadunkle
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Is the best way to bleed these effing trailer brakes with a bleeder hose stuck in some brake fluid? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to bleed my new coupler for the trailer.

Use a one man vacuum bleeder. Requires compressed air but I assume you have this. Just crack the bleeder, pull the trigger, and it sucks fluid out, close when done. Works for all but the most stubborn brake systems.

haugy
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Thanks Cadunkle, I'll look into that, I do have a compressor.

Today was rough, real rough. I'll give more details later, but right now I'm so exhausted I can't think straight.

mapleleaf
06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Yeah it's 3M. I wetsanded it so smooth with the 2000 grit, I'm going to switch to a different brand of rubbing compound that stays wet longer and is a lighter grit. See how that does.

With my POS buffer I'm stuck with cloth pads. Wool went everywhere and made the biggest mess yesterday. And foam isn't available for my buffer (POS craftsman).

I'm going to try the Sparkplug trick tonight. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm just exhausted, work, then 6 hours in the shop, and a newborn, ooooof.

I am doing something WAY cool with it tomorrow. :D Hopefully I can get the bugger started.

On a similar note: Is the best way to bleed these effing trailer brakes with a bleeder hose stuck in some brake fluid? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to bleed my new coupler for the trailer.

Keep at it Haugy< trying to get mine water ready with a 3 yr old and a 5 month old, and a daily grind and yadda yadda, It's cuz we love it.......

haugy
06-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Craptastic. I am getting power all the way to the cap. But.....still no spark.

I've got the points at the correct gap. And still no spark. Tried a voltmeter, even put a screwdriver into the spark plug wire and tried grounding it, nothing.

CRAPPPPP

Ptownkid
06-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Ok, hang in there...

Are you getting 12 volts to your coil? Do you get continuity from the positive to the negative contacts of the coil?

haugy
06-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Ok, hang in there...

Are you getting 12 volts to your coil? Do you get continuity from the positive to the negative contacts of the coil?

I'm getting 12 volts all the way to the distributor cap even. And I've got continuity between the contacts of the coil.

The one red flag (or seems to me) is that there is continuity on the points at ALL times. When the points are in the open position if I put my continuity light on it each point contact, it lights up. Shouldn't it NOT light up if the points are open? Anything I touched in the distributor is showing continuity on everything else inside of it.

It's something small, I know it.

Ptownkid
06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
You should not have an continuity across the points when open...you won't get any spark as long as that is the case. The points have to break the connection to ground for the magnetic field in the coil to collapse and discharge.

Picture? You said the points are new so it's most likely something very small and silly.

haugy
06-16-2011, 11:53 AM
You should not have an continuity across the points when open...you won't get any spark as long as that is the case. The points have to break the connection to ground for the magnetic field in the coil to collapse and discharge.

Picture? You said the points are new so it's most likely something very small and silly.

Yeah I meant to take one last night. That's what I thought. The whole points apparatus has continuity throughout. I may slap the old points on and file them just to see what happens.

I'll get a pic, and post it.

haugy
06-16-2011, 10:12 PM
ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Calling in pros. I've checked everything, it's all checking out. I'm gonna have to take it to a pro mechanic.

Ptownkid
06-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Does that mean that your points are functioning properly and you still get so spark?

DAFF
06-16-2011, 11:24 PM
Is it possible you wired the coil backwards???? Try putting the old one on ......

haugy
06-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Is it possible you wired the coil backwards???? Try putting the old one on ......

I doubt it, but I'll try anything. The negative ground is going to the points.

Ptownkid
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you have that right... did you fix the points?

jsandy
06-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Save yourself some time and money in the long run and buy a new distributer. Go electronic and thankyourself every year when you dont have to worry about the points adjustment

haugy
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
I'll be doing that next year. But if I can't get this running, I'll have issues with the new one as well. I need to fix the problem, then worry about upgrading.

haugy
06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Well it turns out I was doing everything right. Somehow my nice craftsman aren't good for checking spark. When to my buds shop, and he said "let's just walk it back from end to beginning to see what we need.

Turned over the engine, spark. Threw some fuel to it, and it fired right up. The carb is in rough shape, needs to be rebuilt. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

BUT THE BOAT RUNS!!!! Good oil pressure, temp, etc. Once I get that carb to fuel properly, I'll be ready for a lake trial.

mapleleaf
06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Its about time, for cry'in out loud

Okie Boarder
06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe is was some magic kangaroo dust that did the trick.

haugy
06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
No magic roo dust. It didn't work when he was here. Finally got it fired on his last day.

Here's a little taste of where I'm at.

Video with sound

http://youtu.be/_U8JfIO6J1o

TitanTn
06-26-2011, 10:27 PM
That sounds great! It's all downhill from here! Ha! At least you've got a good start.

haugy
06-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Well I still have to mount the fuel filter assembly. The original was never changed!!! I'll put up a pic of it tonight.

My transmission cooler assembly that pulls fresh water is also leaking, so that has to be replaced as well. Then I'm hooking up a new bilge pump, and flushing the tranny fluid, and then lake test.

Quick question, on a Borg Warner should I use Dexron III like I did on my PCM or something else for the transmission fluid?

jsandy
06-27-2011, 09:57 AM
You could just take the trans cooler to a radiator shop and they can solder the fittings back. What we did on my dads scarab. PCM from the factory used straight 20wt oil but dexron 3 or anything higher such as dex 6 will work.

haugy
06-27-2011, 10:30 AM
It's leaking at the bottom point, water is coming out. Now I have to hope water hasn't been pumping into the tranny. I'm not going to patch this one, it's being fully replaced. Can't take a chance on structural damage leaking into the tranny lines.

Okie Boarder
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Sounds good haugy. Congrats on the progress so far.

wotan2525
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
The tranny coolers are designed so that the tranny oil pressure is higher than the water pressure. This is supposed to make it so that when they do leak, it is only the oil going out and not the water coming in.

Of course -- it doesn't usually work out that way.... but that's how they were designed. Simple/cheap replacement... I don't think it's worth trying to repair.

haugy
06-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Don't know about cheap. $100. :D

And seeing how I checked the tranny fluid and it felt like gel rather than fluid, I may be in for a dismal surprise.

wotan2525
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. If it had water in it, it would be milky. These trannys are pretty burly. My cooler failed and contaminated my tranny fluid.... it started slipping like crazy and I figured it was cooked. Replaced the cooler, flushed the fluid (as best as I could without a drain plug) and it's been fine ever since.

Chunnetter
06-28-2011, 05:04 AM
Of which i've used. if you can find a scrubber on a long-handled brush, it will work even better. the trailer won't like it but maybe it'll knock some rust of for you, lol.

your rear ss rail is a little different from the older models. mine doesn't have the break in the middle.

haugy
07-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Hell yeah. Got it out on the water yesterday. Had the doghouse off so I could check everything out. Man I was nervous as a cat. I back the trailer in and spent 15 minutes just checking for leaks, looking for problems, etc. Cranked it up, and it ran fine, so I backed it in. Now that was nerve wracking.

I kept checking everything, hoses, through hulls, packing nut, etc. Then checking all gauges making sure everything was good.

Finally took it out to the lake and slowly made some small easy runs on it. After a while I was able to really open her up. I was cruising fast at 3,000rpm so I'll need to get my GPS out. I was surprised. It does get up and go with no problems with that 454.

All goes well I should be able to cruise it around this weekend. Now all I need are some tapes for the original tape deck that's still in it. HA HA HA! :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_20110630_202122.jpg

sybrmike
07-01-2011, 10:02 AM
8 track or cassette? :)

Congrats. Gotta be a great feeling - can't wait to get there with mine...

Salty87
07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
finally...that's great!

what shape is the prop?

haugy
07-01-2011, 10:34 AM
finally...that's great!

what shape is the prop?

Standard 3-blade. I've got two spares just like it. It is a 1:1 transmission so that does help.

Okie Boarder
07-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Awesome. I was the same way after the rebuild. I was on the trailer for quite a while before I ventured out and then it was a while before I went very far from the ramp.

Very excited for ya.

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Okay, so here's where I'm at. I finally got the motor issues all fixed. Now it fires right on the first crank, and runs like a champ. Sounds soooooooo sexy. I just love that rumble!

What I've done to it is a moderate overhaul. This winter it will get the full "Haugy" treatment. But seeing as it's summer I want to be on the water. As many of you know the boat was in awful condition when I bought it. Yes we've seen worse, but those full rebuilds from the start. I'm trying to save before rebuild.

The interior was beyond nasty. The seats did not want to come clean at all. I tried Exquisite, and after 10 minutes, put the 3/4 used bottle on the shelf, and there it still sits. It didn't even phase the grime. Water was more effective.

So I mixed up my specially formulated highly sought after mix of super uber-cleaning spray.
And it worked like always, I'm going to have to patent this stuff. After I got the vinyl clean, all I could do to the carpet was vacuum the hell out of it. The carpet is being replaced next year.

Now came the gelcoat/paint. All of the boat is original gelcoat EXCEPT the giant black stripe down the middle of the boat. That is paint. Now what the pictures don't show is that the boat was actually yellow, not white. I purposefully cleaned off one section with wet sand, polish, etc. And next to the untouched section it looked like a yellow notepad sitting next to a white one. I was amazed at how bad it really was.

So I've wetsanded and wetsanded, and wetsanded some more. Then polished, and polished, and polished some more. The black paint stripe hasn't been wetsanded yet. It has a small hint of orange peel and it will be getting wetsanded this winter when I can take my time.

The bottom is in need of some serious work as it's so oxidized it's like dragging your hand across 2000 grit sandpaper.

Here are some pics of before:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0023.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0031.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0026.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_0032.jpg

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:03 AM
So I've cleaned up the interior, and here's where it's at now.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060236.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060237.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060240.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060239.jpg

dusty2221
07-19-2011, 11:05 AM
WOW! That's all I an say...just wow!!!!!!

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Now, onto the trailer. This thing was shot to shit. The bunks were uncovered from the carpet rotting off, and the wood was cracking from dryrot. I was waiting for the boat to go through the wood into the steel.

Not on my watch.

Here is the trailer:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060216.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060217.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060218.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060219.jpg

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Pic's continued from previous page.

So this past weekend I decided to overhaul the trailer. In 48 hours.

I put the boat at the In-laws dock, and started to bust my hump. I spent all day Saturday grinding off the old paint, or rust as it covered 50% of the trailer. Once I got it all grinded off, it was 10pm Saturday night, I was exhausted, and I looked like a chimmney sweep.

Sunday up at 5am, start working on the trailer again.

Now here is the catch. I'm very detailed, most would use the term "anal". If I'm going to do something, I plan on doing it overly right. But alas, time would not allow me to do that this time. I didn't have time to sand the trailer again to the grit I desired to give it a smooth finish. So I started priming the trailer.

Here is before primer:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060222.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060221.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060220.jpg

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Wow, only 4 pics per post. Sheesh.

So here it is with primer on it, you'll notice I did not remove the side fender boards. Due to time, I left them on during this process. Since I can take them off anytime, they will be addressed this week at a more relaxed pace.

Primer:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060224.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060225.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060226.jpg

While I let that dry I cut my new pieces of wood and sanded the edges down for a nice smooth landing point for my big girl.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060227.jpg

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Now came to the paint. I used a thick enamel since it will be more durable. It does take longer to dry, but at 95 degrees in the shade, I knew the sun would cook it dry quickly. And it did.

To note, when looking at the pictures of the primer you will see some thin spots with little primer. With me going to black again, not a different color, with the sanding, and a thin coat of primer I didn't need to layer it on thick in certain areas. I only did on the sides to try and fill in as much as I could from sanding.

I sprayed with black high gloss rustoleum. I couldn't use an HVLP gun because I don't have the compressor for it, yet. So a nice cheap rattlecan job will do.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060228.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060229.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060230.jpg

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
While I let the paint dry in the sun, I started covering my bunks. Now as I stated before, I overdo things, alot. So instead of just using wood and thin carpet to protect the boat, I added something extra. I bought rubber anti-fatigue matting at Lowes and cut it into strips. I then laid them along the bunks with enough overhang on the sides to allow me to staple down the sides to the wood. Creating a nice rubbery soft bunk. I then covered that with the new black marine trailer carpet.

Used new hardware to secure it down, and when it's all said and done, here is the result.

I will be putting Supra Decals on it, and Supra guide pole covers to really round out the look. It's getting a new black winch, and trailer coupler jack. I'm also going to get new wheels for it in the winter.

Ignore the scum line on the boat, it had been in the water for two days, and I was too tired to wipe it down when I pulled it. :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060231.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060232.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060234.jpg

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
And here she is out on the water.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060191.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060204.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060211.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/P1060208.jpg

TitanTn
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Unbelievable. I've got to get some "Haugy cleaner." You did wonders on that interior. And I love the trailer also. I'm looking to do a similar, quick turn-around resto on my trailer this fall. Tell me a little more about what tools and grit you used for the grinding. Really looks nice Haugy.

wspeedin
07-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Nice job man! You do incredible work even if its your version of "half ass". Ill send you my boat, lol :)

Salty87
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
boat looks fantastic! i love the tower.

csuggs
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice job Haugy - looks great! I know you just love the results!!!
Where are your registration numbers?

haugy
07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Unbelievable. I've got to get some "Haugy cleaner." You did wonders on that interior. And I love the trailer also. I'm looking to do a similar, quick turn-around resto on my trailer this fall. Tell me a little more about what tools and grit you used for the grinding. Really looks nice Haugy.

On the trailer I went with 36 flapper disc on an angle grinder to strip off paint, and smooth out any rust spots. If you don't know how to use this tool you can grind a deep notch into steel. But it makes removal of the paint easy and fast. What I would normally do then is go back over it with 120 grit flapper disc to smooth it out even better. The 36 grit will leave it rough. Once you do that, you can get real detailed and sand with 300 grit paper on a sander to give it a super duper high shine. Which I will do this winter, and allows you to really get a blingin trailer. The tight spots I use a flapper wheel on my drill to get in there.

You'll need a ton of tack cloths or carb/brake cleaner to get the residue off. The dust will stick to everything and can even become magnetized because of the friction. So the steel dust will stick to the trailer unless removed by touch, an air hose won't do it.

WEAR BREATHING PROTECTION!!! I normally do, but got in such a rush I didn't. I am regretting that still. Sinus hell, hacking up black stuff, yuck.

Nice job man! You do incredible work even if its your version of "half ass". Ill send you my boat, lol :)

Thanks, bring it on down. Just bring good beer. :D

boat looks fantastic! i love the tower.

Thanks bud.

Nice job Haugy - looks great! I know you just love the results!!!
Where are your registration numbers?

Well there is a bit of a problem with the registration. The wife signed the bill of sale and gave me the registration. Didn't notice the registration was signed by husband. TN won't let me get my numbers untill BOS matches registration. Fun times, but by law I have 60 days till I must have my registration.

bdumas35
07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Excellent. Great Job!

Ed G
07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Definetly Sweet!

Congrats on a great job

kreed57
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I have a 1991 Sunsport that is the same black/white. I have been admiring the job you did. Whose tower is that, it looks like the boat came with it?

wotan2525
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Looking great!

I had a bunk break in half this weekend. Boat isn't sitting on the trailer, yet, but it's got me nervous about the next time I pull it off.... Add to that that the launches are closed and it's 100F outside today and I'm STRESSED about when I'm going to be able to fix it!

My trailer now needs bunks, tires, brakes, brake-lines, fender liners and it could use some paint. Ugh!

bdumas35
07-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I have a 1991 Sunsport that is the same black/white. I have been admiring the job you did. Whose tower is that, it looks like the boat came with it?

Yeah. I'm liking the lines of that tower also.

wspeedin
07-19-2011, 02:25 PM

Thats a New Dimensions Swoop tower. Best looking tower ever!!

haugy
07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, the tower is New Dimensions.

Wotan don't wait on that trailer man. While they seem insignificant most of the time, they make life easy or miserable depending on how they are.

Okie Boarder
07-20-2011, 12:38 AM
haugy...looking good. I'm loving how you are slowly bringing her back to her glory days. My trailer is on the list of things I want to do and definitely will be hitting you up for advice when the time comes, if you don't mind.

DGREEN
07-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Haugy, ur boat looks sooo nice, what a clean vessel! You gotta be stoked.

haugy
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
haugy...looking good. I'm loving how you are slowly bringing her back to her glory days. My trailer is on the list of things I want to do and definitely will be hitting you up for advice when the time comes, if you don't mind.

Hit me up anytime. And the cool thing is, all this was done for under $200. The most expensive thing was the new carpet.

Haugy, ur boat looks sooo nice, what a clean vessel! You gotta be stoked.

Thanks man, I am. It's been a great feeling getting out on the water and cruising with it.

Salty87
07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
now that you've had some time behind the wheel...how does she handle compared to the mariah?

wotan2525
07-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, the tower is New Dimensions.

Wotan don't wait on that trailer man. While they seem insignificant most of the time, they make life easy or miserable depending on how they are.

I think I over-reacted..... All I knew was that on Sunday I noticed that one of the bunks was floating on one end when I was pulling on to the trailer. I assumed that all of the boards were shot.

After taking the night last night to give it a once over, I found that the bunks were all in GREAT condition (except for one.... which I'll deal with.) The carpet was in OK condition. The bolts holding everything together, though? Horrible. The previous owner (or me... can't remember!) only used (1) zinc plated lag bolt per bunk bracket. My bunks sit flat on the trailer, not turned up like yours. Each bunk is 9' and has 4 brackets attaching it to the trailer. Each bunk bracket has 2 bolt holes. Only using 1 bolt in each bracket is just a bad, bad idea.

So... One of the bunks had too many bolts fall out and finally decided to give up. The bunk itself is still solid and in good condition, but it moved over and wasn't supporting the boat anymore. This caused the other bunk on that side to break in half. It was still supporting the boat, was still solid wood, but was broken.

So... last night (with a heat index of 115 degrees) I let my parents take my boat for a cruise and did an emergency repair. I bought all new wood and carpet, all new SS lag bolts and hardware and started on replacing the broken one. I only had time to finish that one and make sure all of the rest had good bolts in them. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to slowly swap out the rest of them (but only really so that the carpet will match.)

I also took the time to pull the broken brake line so that I can start working on taking care of that. I also measured for new leaf springs (all my tires are ONLY worn on the inside.) Am I right to think that replacing the leaf springs will take care of that problem?

haugy
07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
now that you've had some time behind the wheel...how does she handle compared to the mariah?

She's a big girl alright, but handles just fine. I've had no problems at all. Save one. I've been driving supra's since I was 11. For the past 22 years I've backed to the left. For the first time ever I'm backing to the right. That's throwing my whole smooth as a pimp docking style completely off!!! :D And it doesn't just back to the right, it backs HARD right. Holy crap. Other than that it's got great pick up, responds to my maneuvers very quickly. Can I get her to do hard 90 turns like the Mariah, no. But it's plenty quick and manageable.

I also took the time to pull the broken brake line so that I can start working on taking care of that. I also measured for new leaf springs (all my tires are ONLY worn on the inside.) Am I right to think that replacing the leaf springs will take care of that problem?

Not neccessarily. Typically if all your tires are wearing on the inside it means your axles are bent downward from too heavy of a load or a brutal bounce. Check your axles for straightness. A good way is a contractors level (4 feet long) and place it along the axle. Look for gaps misalignments. If your leaf springs are flat, yeah it could be that too. But if they still have a good arch on all 4 tires, I would guess bent axle tube.

sybrmike
07-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow! Someone's been busy while I was gone... So that's what a sexy, cleaned up, black Saltare looks like on the water? Great work on the boat and trailer. Dammit, Haugy - now I'm kicking myself for not going with the ND swoop - that thing looks great on top of her! You must have Popeye arms to be able to knock out that trailer so quickly and so soon after all that work on the hull & interior.

I take it all your previous Supra's had small block/1:23 trans combo's with RH props & the 1:1 LH prop in the Salt gives your stern the pull to the right in reverse? My only previous DD was LH prop, so hopefully it'll come back quickly to me.

Thanks for the motivation to keep going. Now excuse me, but I gotta blow off catching up on work & go turn some wrenches.

haugy
07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Wow! Someone's been busy while I was gone... So that's what a sexy, cleaned up, black Saltare looks like on the water? Great work on the boat and trailer. Dammit, Haugy - now I'm kicking myself for not going with the ND swoop - that thing looks great on top of her! You must have Popeye arms to be able to knock out that trailer so quickly and so soon after all that work on the hull & interior.

I take it all your previous Supra's had small block/1:23 trans combo's with RH props & the 1:1 LH prop in the Salt gives your stern the pull to the right in reverse? My only previous DD was LH prop, so hopefully it'll come back quickly to me.

Thanks for the motivation to keep going. Now excuse me, but I gotta blow off catching up on work & go turn some wrenches.

Yours will look good man, don't sweat it. And I sure don't have Popeye arms. Hell, if you were to meet me you'd be amazed. I'm pretty small. I just get so immersed in my projects when I get going that nothing else matters. My wife told me later, because I didn't realize it, that the last meal I ate this weekend was breakfast on early Saturday morning, and didn't eat again till Sunday at about 8pm. I just don't stop.

Yeah, the rotations different, and with the prop ratio she turns fast! Get work done son.:D

Loadup
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
haugy, very nice work, the old girl looks and sounds amazing.