PDA

View Full Version : Engine help needed

supracalifragilistic
06-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts but i am not an engine guy at all and want to make sure i get the right block.

my boat is an 89 saltare with the 454. I am looking for a short block replacement (budget is very tight) and plan on using the rest of the parts off the engine i currently have.

my question is should i be looking for a 2-bolt or 4-bolt main?
single or two seal ?
what generation or year if i use an automotive block? and any thing else that would be helpfull when deciding?

the one thats in there now is tbi but other then that seems to be all original

haugy
06-06-2011, 09:24 PM
If possible you want a 4-bolt main. They were used in most boats and trucks. They are much stronger and can withstand longer high revs like you would get in a boat. If it were me, I wouldn't get a motor that wasn't a 4-bolt main. That's the number of bolts that hold the crankshaft in place. An item that get's alot of stress.

Your boat should be a Gen IV motor. The Gen V block may not mate up with your Gen IV heads, but I could be wrong on that one.

Any motor in the 80's will work. I would try and pick up a late 80's short block. Your TBI won't matter. If you get a motor that works for that boat, the TBI will work fine.

Can I ask a question? And you can PM me, but what's your budget? I've got a guy here that gets me all my motors and gets them cheap. I use him for all my motor needs. I can call him and see what a short block Gen IV will cost ya if you want.

beast 496
06-06-2011, 10:19 PM
The base 454 that went into many Marine engine application were only 2 bolt main blocks. These are the 330 hp engines. The 425 hp was only with the 4 bolt main. If you are question of which type exactly you have and want, just remove the pan and check. You will have to remove the pan anyway for the swap over. Remember you MUST run the marine cam. The automotive cam has too much exhaust valve overlap and can possibly such in water into the combustion champer. Good luck Al

supracalifragilistic
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
i know it might sound crazy but i would really like to get the boat running for under a $1,000 if it cant be done for that amount then im gonna have to store it for the season save some money possibly drop a crate in it next year. I guess my question would be if mine is a 2-bolt could i get a 4-bolt and would everything match up. sorry if thats a dumb question :) and i will make sure to put a marine cam in there
thanks for the help

haugy
06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
The base 454 that went into many Marine engine application were only 2 bolt main blocks. These are the 330 hp engines. The 425 hp was only with the 4 bolt main. If you are question of which type exactly you have and want, just remove the pan and check. You will have to remove the pan anyway for the swap over. Remember you MUST run the marine cam. The automotive cam has too much exhaust valve overlap and can possibly such in water into the combustion champer. Good luck Al

Are you sure? I've seen quite a few 4-bolt marine engines that weren't in go-fast boats. Well, as usual I could be wrong. I still prefer 4-bolt mains. But you're taking advice from a guy who has 3 fire extinguishers, two anchors, 6 dock lines, and 10 fenders. I tend to over-do things. :D

supracalifragilistic
06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
i have been looking at alot of engines and still am not sure if i need to get a 1 piece or two piece rear main?

cadunkle
06-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Remember you MUST run the marine cam. The automotive cam has too much exhaust valve overlap and can possibly such in water into the combustion champer. Good luck Al

This is inaccurate. I've run a few automotive cams in boats over the years with no trouble. There are also plenty of "marine" cams which require either tall or extended risers or dry exhaust.You need to look at the specs of the cam, duration, LSA, overlap, intake closing, etc. and take into consideration the size of the engine. A cam that may suffer reversion in a 300-350 cube engine could idle butter smooth at 600 RPM in a 454.