PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gaskets Replacement

jimmyk102
06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I was curious as to how easy it is to replace valve cover gaskets on a 90 conbrio 351 Ford? What happened is my marina is so busy...(4 plus week wait for service). Does the manifold itself need to be removed or not? If the manifold does have to come off, are there other gaskets or anything else that I should be aware of in this area? Looks like a straight forward job? Has anybody done this? Any special marine gasket sealer needed? I was going to have a friend who has raced stock cars for approx 25 years do them. I can't wait 4 weeks.

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I was curious as to how easy it is to replace valve cover gaskets on a 90 conbrio 351 Ford? What happened is my marina is so busy...(4 plus week wait for service). Does the manifold itself need to be removed or not? If the manifold does have to come off, are there other gaskets or anything else that I should be aware of in this area? Looks like a straight forward job? Has anybody done this? Any special marine gasket sealer needed? I was going to have a friend who has raced stock cars for approx 25 years do them. I can't wait 4 weeks.

The bolts on the exhaust manifold may be tough to get out. Spray them for a few days before hand with penetrating oil to try and get them loosened up. Once you can get one out, take it to the hardware store and get 4 bolts with the same threads that are as long as you can get. Pull out the front and back bolts on each side and replace with those 4 long bolts. This way you can remove all of the exhaust bolts (except for those 4) and the exhaust manifold will just slide away from the heads. This will also keep the exhaust gasket in place. Makes reassembly WAAAY easier!

The gaskets themselves are pretty straight forward. Not sure on the Fords if you need to mess with any other kind of RTV or gasket maker, but I would buy some high quality gaskets to make sure that they stay sealed. Especially if you surf oil can pool at one side of the valve covers.

Good luck!

mapleleaf
06-06-2011, 11:45 PM
On my 351 the manifold's had to come off, I'm sorry to say. They didn't come willingly, even after soaking them for days.....I believe it came down to using heat.....
No more oil smoking off my manifolds made it all worth it.....

mapleleaf
06-06-2011, 11:47 PM

BTW this is exactly what I did, retired Ford mech. did mine, I built him a deck....worked out great...(he still owes me!)

haugy
06-07-2011, 11:32 AM
The bolts on the exhaust manifold may be tough to get out. Spray them for a few days before hand with penetrating oil to try and get them loosened up. Once you can get one out, take it to the hardware store and get 4 bolts with the same threads that are as long as you can get. Pull out the front and back bolts on each side and replace with those 4 long bolts. This way you can remove all of the exhaust bolts (except for those 4) and the exhaust manifold will just slide away from the heads. This will also keep the exhaust gasket in place. Makes reassembly WAAAY easier!

The gaskets themselves are pretty straight forward. Not sure on the Fords if you need to mess with any other kind of RTV or gasket maker, but I would buy some high quality gaskets to make sure that they stay sealed. Especially if you surf oil can pool at one side of the valve covers.

Good luck!

Follow these instructions exactly. This is the best way to do it. You won't have to lift or man handle the exhaust manifolds, they stay in place, and the gasket doesn't move.

Do not use an impact or air tool to break the bolts loose, you could break the bolt off.

jimmyk102
06-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks gang for the info. They don't really leak @ 2000RPM, yet get to approx 2800 plus, you can both see & smell it on the right hand side back next to manifold. Just want to address this.