PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else not have rear tie downs ?

dshaff24
06-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Why would anyboat company not put rear tie downs on the trailer or boat?

Im going to come up with something.. I believe its a law in pa to have them,,

Anyone else not have them?

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 11:21 PM
Why would anyboat company not put rear tie downs on the trailer or boat?

Im going to come up with something.. I believe its a law in pa to have them,,

Anyone else not have them?

Never used them. Boat's never moved. I only trailer it a mile each way @ 25mph, though.

jaywidhalm
06-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I do not use them at this point. My trailer has a place for them, but the boat has never budged, even at regular highway speeds. Probably a good idea and definately peace of mind to use them, but I have never had an issue.

DAFF
06-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I use the rear swim platform to tie down with!! Have you ever seen a boat rearend the car infront of it ??? Saw a Escalade once on the Hwy that rear ended a car. Poor guy, lost the front of the Cadi and the rear too!!! Looked funny with the nose of the boat half way into the rear hatch.

Worst of all his insurance guy must of loved writing up that clame. Driver rear ended by his own boat.

wotan2525
06-06-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.imgcafe.com/view/uploads/boatcrashc.jpg
http://www.imgcafe.com/view/uploads/pt273481pe.jpg
http://www.imgcafe.com/view/uploads/1rpr.jpg

haugy
06-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I always tie down my stern. ALWAYS.

To do what you want to do with straps is risky. The straps would have be pretty substantial, and there is no way to put them that wouldn't damage the swim platform with a hard stop. You can run a strap down from the lifting rings to the trailer, but they have to go behind the platform. One good bump, those things tighten and straighten out, and you've killed your platform.

I take one of my good, clean, boat lines. I have 5/8" lines. And I feed it through the loop and attach it to one side of the trailer right below the rear hatch area of the boat. I the run the line over the sides and rear hatch of the boat down to the other other side, and secure it to the trailer. This will keep the boat from bouncing around on bumps.

To keep the bow from doing a rear ender, I use a safey chain with a threaded chain link to the bow eye. This will keep the boat from flying forward, as well as backward should somthing happen.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/img/product/gallery/large/60658_1.jpg

Patrick56
06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I had to buy tie-down straps, but there are places to hook to on the trailer. Usually don't use the tie-downs because my trip consists of 1/4 in the neighborhood to the ramp and then back. Usually under 20 mph. If I leave the neighborhood I use the straps. (DAFF-use the rear lifting eyes as a tie-down point. Pad where the straps touch the hull.)

sybrmike
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I'll always use them (along with a secure attachment at the bow) ever since seeing a jet boat go up & over the tow vehicle in a head-on - ended up in the cab of the oncoming truck.

I mounted the platform a little farther back on the new support brackets so now the straps fit straight between the transom d-rings and trailer with no contact to hull or platform.

KG's Supra24
06-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I have looked at buying them but haven't yet. I havent had any issues with the boat moving. It's kinda heavy.

mapleleaf
06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Just like Haugy said, getting around my swim platform is a pain, but I always always always strap the back of my boat down...those pics ain't lying.....I wanna keep myself and everybody else on the road in one piece.....

michael hunter
06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
My boat came with a strap that goes over the gunnel's and hooks to the holes on the trailer rails . I cant say it will hold the boat in an accident and like others have said it doesn't move on the SMP trailer . I do use it for longer trips . My other boat has a Boatmate and came with ratchet straps by far the best setup.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Transumstrap002.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/Transumstrap001.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/skirack014-1-1.jpg

csuggs
06-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I use transom straps from the trailer to the sqim platform brackets. But I'm afraid to cinch them down too tight because I don't want to pull too hard on the bracket so it probably doesn't do much good. You guys bring up good points. I sometimes don't use anything on the back when going to my local ramp, but always use them on a longer trip on the highway.

whelchel86
06-12-2011, 12:32 PM
On a longer trip, I will take the platform off and use the rear lift points to tie down with. I don't bother with rear straps to go to my local ramp a mile from the house. But I would be careful on those really steep ramps. I plan on eventually spacing the swim platform out a little bit and mounting some ratchet straps to the trailer.

Blackntan90
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Great idea about moving the platform back, my Mariah is really tight between platform & hull, and I don't really like running the straps around the edges of the platform. I always strap her down in transit( about an hour at hiway speed to the ramp) When I go over some of the expantion(sp?) joints at 65 mph, I am glad the straps are on there! I would hate to see her leave the trailer- even if she came right back onto the trailer, I think it could do some damage- to the boat or the trailer! In the front, I also use a stout safety chain AND a front tie-down strap as well as the winch strap. Now in storage, I take em off so the pressure is released- it just makes me feel better.

rludtke
06-12-2011, 10:44 PM
My trailer is a twin axle meant for a slightly larger boat, that I adapted to my Comp. I set the trailer up to place the boat engine centered over the axles. The result is that the transom sits on the bunks about 1 1/2 to 2" forward of the aft end of the bunk. I think this is good, because the short staps that I connect to the aluminum swim step will actually be able to prevent the boat from moving forward relative to the trailer. I connect the two straps to the center swim step bracket, to help ensure that the boat can not move sideways relative to the trailer as well.

I use the flip style strap instead of the ratchet style. This way I am not at risk of over-loading the brackets with to much tension.

I do have to duck under my swim step to connect, but I think the transom straps are an important safety feature.

pap
06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey all - I added transom straps (the quick release kind as above) which are very easy to use, they fit behind the swim deck right into the lift eyes.

However I've got nothing on the bow other than the winch. I've not been able to find anything specifically for this - anyone with a 21V give me a tip? I'm hesitant just to go buy chain - not sure what it's rated for or how to attach that isn't going to cause damage.

Blackntan90
06-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Pap, I used grade8 chain, with a hook at one end- attached with a clevis, and a clevis attaching the other end of the chain to the trailer. I measured the distance from the trailer attaching point(mine has a ring welded to the trailer under the bow) and, allowing a little slack, I got 2X the length of my measurement in chain and doubled it. This is probably overkill, let's hope so..

rludtke
06-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I use a heavy chain wrapped around the winch post, and connected with a threaded link connector. The other end has a hook to capture the eye ring on the bow. The installation is a little hokey, as I didn't have access to welding equipment, but it does the job.

I always liked the systems used by the jet boat guys. They often use a metal strap mounted to the trailer on a hinge (so it can swing up and down, pointing forward) aft and under the of the bow. The opposite end has a slot that the bow ring can slip through. Engage the slot, then slip a padilock, or a steel bolt, or even the winch hook, and the boat is not moving forward or aft.

Jetlink
06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
I have that exact setup you are talking about on my trailer. Just power on, raise the bar and clasp a ring on it. Pull the boat out and I add a tie down strap from the bow eye to the trailer for peace of mind.

jonyb
06-15-2011, 02:07 AM
"never use them, never will"
"boat never moved an inch"
"towed all over the world and never had a problem"

Sounds like this:

"It can't happen to me"
"I'm untouchable and will never have an accident"

That being said, my boat stays tied down because if some jerk cuts me off, or I have AN UNEXPECTED ACCIDENT, then I want to keep the boat off of my truck and minimize damage. Will the straps keep the boat from going over the truck? Maybe, anything to help make damage worse will be integrated.

My trailer has the tabs from straps on it, but didn't come with anything. I added the Boat Buckles, and it takes less than 20 seconds to strap it down and less then 10 seconds to release both of them. $50 was worth the extra piece of mind it adds. All you guys that think an accident can't happen or you don't need straps need to wake up.

pap
06-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Jetlink - any source for your product?

Jetlink
06-15-2011, 11:11 AM
This is what I have and use. Came like this when I purchased the boat and the trailer is vintage man, 1986 matches the boat and everything.