PDA

View Full Version : Wetsanding Too Much?

chrisk
06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey guys, I'm considering wetsanding my baby but I'm concerned that there might not be anything left on it to wetsand? Is that possible? Or am I just being paranoid, I don't have much experience with wetsanding and gelcoats and whatnot.

wotan2525
06-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey guys, I'm considering wetsanding my baby but I'm concerned that there might not be anything left on it to wetsand? Is that possible? Or am I just being paranoid, I don't have much experience with wetsanding and gelcoats and whatnot.

I was nervous about wetsanding until I did it this year. Gel coat is thick and 600 grit does not take off very much. I don't think there's anything to be worried about and I wish I would have done it 8 years ago. I think if I did it again I'd use a machine for the first couple of steps instead of blocking it by hand. Probably took me 50 hours total -- so know what you are getting into!

chrisk
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Wotan, did you do a three step process with it, moving up in grit or whatever? Or did you only use the 600? What kind of machine would you use? I don't think you're talking about a belt sander, are you talking one of the vibrating sanders?

wotan2525
06-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I started with 600, then 1000, 1500 and 2000. Then rubbing compound. Then polishing compound. Then wax. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it. If I did it again I'd either start with 400 or use hook and loop pads on my polisher. I ended up using both 8" foam pads and 3" foam pads for the compounding/polishing. I've got just a cheapo harbor freight polisher that worked great.

I think a vibrating palm sander would also work just fine for the wet sanding part.

chrisk
06-07-2011, 02:44 PM
thanks for the insight

anybody else use a palm sander for wetsanding?

Blackntan90
06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Would probably be wise to use air tools around water, or just do it by hand. It will make a man of you!

NeilMcg
06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
The gelcoat is generally the thickness of a credit card. I first used a de-oxidizing agent (3M sharpshooter no rinse cleaner), then straight to dry sanding with 3M 1200 grit using a pneumatic dual action sander. I then buffed.

TitanTn
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
I can tell you that the palm sander doesn't work well (nevermind the electrical issue). It will leave chatter marks in the gelcoat that will have to be sanded out by hand.

haugy
06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I typically tell people to avoid using power tools when wetsanding. The potential to get in at too steep an angle and "cut" deeper in one spot versus another is too great. And like Titan said, they can skip and chatter on ya creating divots.

Take pride in your work and do it slow and smooth. Learn the curves of the boat, feel the pressure against the grain and learn where it needs more or less sanding by the glide of the block. It's essentially molding a boat by hand. You are taking a dull layer off to expose a hidden beauty underneath. Do it right, do it slow, and be damn proud of it when it's done.

chrisk
06-08-2011, 09:34 AM
As beautiful as that was Haugy, that's kind of what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned that over the boat's life the layers of beauty have been pealed back and now if I were to try to peel another back, I wouldn't be left with any beauty. Anybody have that bad experience?

TitanTn
06-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Chris - I think you're going to have to wet-sand A LOT of material off before you run into this issue. Do you have a reason to believe that someone has done a lot of sanding before you got the boat? The amount you're taking off while sanding is so thin that all it actually does is color the water you're using. The layer you're taking off is as thin as a sheet of paper. Thin paper. I understand your concern but I also think you'll be fine.

wotan2525
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Chris - I think you're going to have to wet-sand A LOT of material off before you run into this issue. Do you have a reason to believe that someone has done a lot of sanding before you got the boat? The amount you're taking off while sanding is so thin that all it actually does is color the water you're using. The layer you're taking off is as thin as a sheet of paper. Thin paper. I understand your concern but I also think you'll be fine.

This is right. Go touch some 600 grit sandpaper. You'll understand how it can't do very much damage.

chrisk
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah I know the paper is super fine grit and everything, I'm just trying to be super careful before I dive into a project that might screw me over. I was just wondering if there was anyone that had run into a similar problem. Thanks so much for the input guys.

I cleaned it and put a layer of wax on last night so she'll be good for a couple weeks, maybe I can tackle this during a period of a few days of rain. I also think it will fly by if I have my buddies who use my boat with me come out and help me. I figure 4 guys doing the sanding should make a quick enough job of it. Haugy I know you think I should touch every curve of my baby, however, these guys are my "crew" and they've put a bunch of effort into it as well. It'll be a good way for them to repay me for all of the money I've put into it too.

TitanTn
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Does the crew ever visit southeastern Tennessee...

chrisk
06-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Nope, I live up in northern Illinois

TitanTn
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Nope, I live up in northern Illinois

Well once they get some good practice on yours, I'll host a field trip to Tennessee!

SuperSaltAir
06-09-2011, 12:07 AM
I have never done what I am about to suggest to you but it sounded like a good I idea when my buddy came over and suggested it to me and when I get ready to wet sand I will be sure to try it. So I live in Phx Az where we are already hitting 100 degrees and I was wet sanding the letters off the back of my old boat sweating my ass off and my friends comes over and he tells me "why don't you just park the boat in the lawn and turn the sprinklers on while you sand it" as hot as it is over here that does not sound like a bad idea to me Im not sure if your weather permits it but it would be interesting to see if it works

wotan2525
06-09-2011, 01:13 AM
I have never done what I am about to suggest to you but it sounded like a good I idea when my buddy came over and suggested it to me and when I get ready to wet sand I will be sure to try it. So I live in Phx Az where we are already hitting 100 degrees and I was wet sanding the letters off the back of my old boat sweating my ass off and my friends comes over and he tells me "why don't you just park the boat in the lawn and turn the sprinklers on while you sand it" as hot as it is over here that does not sound like a bad idea to me Im not sure if your weather permits it but it would be interesting to see if it works

Water is water. I got 2 days of mine done while it was raining!