PDA

View Full Version : Torn rear seat, ever fixed yourself?

neller0414
06-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I have a 2000 Launch. My back seat is starting to tear pretty bad from everyone stepping in and out that way. It started about 2 seasons ago, and now it's past the point of ignoring it.

Other than that, the rest of my upholstery in pretty good shape, but some of it is starting to get a little dingey and there is one other small tear in spotter seat. I'm planning on having most of the boat re-upholstered in the next few years.

I'd hate to pay $500 or something to do just the back seat when in the near future I want to have most of the boat upholstery re-done.

Has anyone ever taken a piece of marine vinyl and just stretched it around the rear seat as a temporary (1-3yr) fix?

I dont care that the stitching won't be there, I just don't want to ruin the foam. Since that structure is plastic, I was thinking about stretching the vinyl and putting short screws in the back side to hold it.

Any ideas, or has anyone done anything similar?

Okie Boarder
06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Is it tearing at a seam or right in the middle of the vinyl. I got a tear in one of my rear seats that is more in the middle and I'm in the process of using a vinyl repair kit on it to see how that does. I've got it "glued" together already and just need to do the finishing step.

michael hunter
06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
There are local guys that specialize it vinyl repair.
Go to the local car dealer service department or used car department. Ask who they use for vinyl repair for their cars. I'm sure you can get it done for under 100 dollars