PDA

View Full Version : 89 Conbrio Radio mount

boatpeople12
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey guys we have an 89 Conbrio we just bought first weekend out got in some rough weather in NM and the radio fell out of the back of the box (wasn't supported in the back) broke a good sized hole in the radio box. Looking for some thoughts on repair. Here is what is bouncing around in my head pull the box reinforce and fiberglass re-cut and remount radio and support from rear any one else had this problem?

wotan2525
06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
There's an actual box there? I think for a lot less work you could just replace it with a larger unit. Alpine makes a single DIN radio with a double DIN face. That should cover up any of the broken pieces of fiberglass.... if I understand correctly what happened. Maybe photos would help?

mapleleaf
06-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Here's what I did...
I've learned since then that this repair was a little more temporary that I thought, but has lasted 2 yrs and some rough sea's.....
I used plumbing strap to tie the back of the radio to the underside of the windshield mounting backer....

boatpeople12
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Ours looks like your second pic would not have thought of that fix looks like it works
Thanks will post pic's when were done

mapleleaf
06-08-2011, 07:09 PM
ya it got me tunes on the water for a couple summers, it really needs to something fiberglass to last out on the water. I do recommend looking into the storage behind the observer seat and using the factory glassed in wood that holds the windshield screws...great structure to use.....

jet
06-09-2011, 02:31 PM
maple, put it by the driver seat side mounted with one of these?? Jet

mapleleaf
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
ya that's what I was thinking... Funny I want all the batt's and amps on the pass side, and now it looks like I'll have the radio at the helm....I mean why not redo it every year!!!!! arghhhh

Where do I find one of those mounts Jet?
sorry for the thread hijack....

jet
06-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Best Buy or radio shack, really any stereo install place might have one. I have mine mounted to the driver sidewall right by my LEFT knee so others can reach from the passinger seat too.

boatpeople12
06-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Just Ordered on of these from Amazon going to try to go back in the original location and support from the back with plumbers strap any thoughts?

Seabeejamie
06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Thats what I have, drivers side dash, only gray. Also have the plumbers strap on the back. never had a problem with it.