PDA

View Full Version : Getting warm

wv_waterdumby
06-08-2011, 07:59 PM
My 84 supra 351 is running hot. I haven't had it out on the water yet because of this. The water pump is leaking around the gasket and it's also coming out of the weeping hole. I just replaced the T-stat, and ran it until it reached 170 then shut it down. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks again. I'm blowing the forum up. I like to be on the water this weekend.

wv_waterdumby
06-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Since the water pump seems to be going out I would think that this would be the cause of the high temps. Would you agree?

Tim405
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Change that bad boy out... nuff said...

wv_waterdumby
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
I've checked for blockage in the cooler, I'm getting water to the water pump. Is there a way to check and see if water is circulating throughout the motor? Like an outboard, seeing that steady stream of water coming out. Is there anything like that?

Ptownkid
06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
You should be able to feel it circulating through the hoses. They should be firm and you should feel motion...

wv_waterdumby
06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I talked to two local boat marinas and both are pointing the finger at the impeller. I'm going to pick one up today switch it out and take it to the water. If it still isn't cooling then i'll change the water pump.

Ptownkid
06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Well...quite possible...I thought you had checked that already. It's recommended (a little overkill, but fool-proof) to change the impeller every season, so even if that's not the problem it's good to have.

dshaff24
06-09-2011, 10:30 AM
impeller.. If you do put a new one on make sure to have the pump functioning in the right direction.. it is possible to reverse the flow and pump exhaust into your hoses instead of water! Mark your direction and mounting points on the pump as you remove it

Since your from Morgantown.. im assuming your heading out on Cheat this weekend? If so ill see ya around

wv_waterdumby
06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Since your from Morgantown.. im assuming your heading out on Cheat this weekend? If so ill see ya around

Thats where i'll be.

What if the guy before me put the impeller in backwards? If facing the impeller with the cover off, which way should it turn? clockwise?

jsandy
06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
regardless of direction you put impeller it it will correct itself. squirt a little dish soap or something as a lube and you'll be fine. STOP BE'N LAZY change your water pump, if water is coming out the weep hole that means its bad and it will not get better, go to autozone and order one! and it is impossible to pump exhaust into your system. the belt will only turn the pump in one direction. it is possible to put it on upside down but that will just make in inefficient not pump backwards.

wv_waterdumby
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
You can buy the engine water pump from an auto parts store? Advanced auto, auto zone? The water pump is the same on a car and a boat?

I've looked around on other forums. Some say yes if you're not on salt water, some say no all together.
???

jsandy
06-09-2011, 04:07 PM
yes the WATER PUMP that is mounted in the center on the front of the block is an automotive piece. the RAW WATER PUMP that is mounted low and to the driver side is not.

wv_waterdumby
06-09-2011, 06:02 PM
My last question....I can't get a marine water pump by this weekend so i'm willing to buy an auto one as a temp. Most of the auto part pumps are clockwise rotation, at least for an 84 ford 351. Does that mean looking at the motor it's turning the pump clockwise? Thanks for all the help fellas.

Seabeejamie
06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Definitely change the water pump. Water coming out the weep hole indicates worn bearing and seal. The pump WILL fail completely, and soon. The difference between marine and auto water pump is a marine water pump has a bronze impeller and stainless back instead of the automotive cast impeller and stamped steel back. no worries about the back, but most water pumps from autozone and other chain autoparts stores offer the "life-time warranty" on one of their brands. Ask to see all of the water pumps they offer, usually the lifetime ones have a bronze impeller. again, not a show stopper if you arent running in salt water, if you are fresh water only no problem with going for the automotive water pump. The water pump is only to recirculate the water drawn by the raw water pump, (the impeller the marinas are pointing you to). No if's ands or buts, I replace this every year, 20 dollars for something that can ruin your weekend (or season) real quick. very easy to change too, at least on my indmar.

wv_waterdumby
06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Since this is a temporary fix. Do you see any reason this wouldn't work?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Remanufactured-Water-Pump-Driveworks_5420490-P_54_R|GRPCOOLAMS_1619827905____BBV

jsandy
06-10-2011, 12:55 AM
its not a temp fix. it will last longer than you will own the boat

wv_waterdumby
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
What happens if my engine turns counter clockwise(because i don't know) and the water pump is clockwise rotation?

wv_waterdumby
06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
My engine is a standard rotation or LH, same as the car engine so you are correct. A car circulation pump will work. Thanks again guys. You've been a big help.

wv_waterdumby
06-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Water pump from auto store is not even close.

jsandy
06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
post a picture

wv_waterdumby
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Just following up guys. After new impeller, water pump, hoses and t-stat. We're running at a cool 140-150 degrees. Thanks for all your help.