PDA

View Full Version : Issue starting cold

duckseatfree
06-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Ok, I've been having this issue for a little while now but it is starting to get just a little bit worse so I want to try and figure it out before it all goes to hell.

I have a '86 351pcm and have been having a little trouble starting it cold. I pump the throttle 2 or 3 times and it gets close, but it doesn't start. Next, I used to push the throttle forward a bit (the minimum amount of throttle, just before it going completely idle) and it would start about the second time doing this.

Now, I am finding that i have to give it more gas for it to start - so when it starts its at higher RPMs (I'll have to check what the starting RPMs are tomorrow). Also, when I get it to start if I put the throttle back too soon, it will idle out. This won't happen at all when its warm. It always starts on the first turn without any issues.

What could be the issue?

Edit: Also, when I start at higher RPMs I have notices a sort of screaching sound coming from the direction of the alternator. I'm not sure if it could be the belt, or the wheel of the alternator scratching something (although I looked and didn't see anything) or maybe its too much for the alternator when I'm starting it like that? It only goes on until I go down to idle and then it stops and I won't hear the noise again even at WOT....only when I'm starting it cold...????

Jetlink
06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
My Holley four barrel took a dump on me this past Sunday while out on the water. Rear float was the issue, had a hole in it. Had to swap out the carb on the water just to make the boat run right. Guess I should have seen it coming as I was starting to have to crack open the throttle more as of late to get it running.

Take the flame arrestor off and look in the carb for pooled fuel, that is where I would start.

duckseatfree
06-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks Ben.

I took off the flame arrester and didn't notice and pooled fuel.

Any other hints?

duckseatfree
06-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Any other thoughts?

Jetlink
06-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Depends on if you still have problems and what you saw or found on the water. Details man...lol

michael hunter
06-14-2011, 05:57 PM
If its only a cold start problem its probably the choke. There are a number of adjustments that can be made to get it right. If you are not familiar with carburetors it best to have a pro look at it.

duckseatfree
06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Okay, so as I mentioned before. I found no pooled fuel in the carb. If I give it a few throttle pumps- then wide open while cranking. Fires immediately and of course I back the throttle off and let the warm up happen.

To get it to start, I have to have give it some throttle or else it won't. Just from reading all the threads and from the responses (thanks everyone!) it seems I'll have to adjust the choke.

On the electric choke there is a spring that mounts on a tab/lever then it bolts up to the carb, on the Choke there is an "arrow"\, So do I need to rotate this thing to get a certain amount of pressure on the spring? ...My guess it move it clockwise one line at a time?...Turn the cap untill the choke plate closes with a cold engine?

Edit: Or should I just let it go and wait to switch to an elecronic ignition on the off season?

rludtke
06-21-2011, 09:11 PM
The electronic ignition is not your root cause. It will improve your starting performance generally, but it will not improve your current problem. How long has it been since your carb has been overhauled? While this is just throwing parts at the problem without truly knowing the root cause, a carb overhaul is not expensive, not hard to do, and would more than likely help your starting performance. The carb kit will replace a number of parts that do wear out, including the float needles, float seats, the power valve, and the accelerator pump. I recomend overhauling a carburator every 3 or 4 seasons or so. I always carry a spare kit with me when I am camping with the boat at resorts. This gives me access to spare parts to solve problems if they arrise (and they have in the past).

I recomend that you do convert to electronic ignintion, and you overhaul your carb.

This is the Holley overhaul kit: http://holley.com/703-47.asp I have found this product cheaper on Ebay stores.

This is the Holley technical library: http://holley.com/TechService/Library.asp

duckseatfree
06-22-2011, 09:00 AM
This is the Holley overhaul kit: http://holley.com/703-47.asp

$40!!! I might just go ahead and do this! Thanks!