PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started - Speaker & Headunit Mounting Options

WakeSurfCanada
06-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow, looks like I'm the first one to post in the new sub-section.

So lets kick things off.

We all know out older Supra's have little to no mounting depth for some of the badass marine speaks on the market. So what has everyone done to accommodate.

As I have blow my budget on pretty much every aspect of my build, I'm likely just building some circular rings to give me the depth need for this season at least, and re-evaluated when I dig into the new interior next year.

Also, the mounting options for your headunit. I know some model's accommodated for this, but my 85 defiantly did not, so lets see some idea's.

Let's see what you have done

chrisk
06-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I haven't done any of this but it seems to me that a lot of people have fabricated their own trim pieces that surround the speakers by using either marine grade ply or just normal ply and wrapping it in foam and vinyl. This way you can pretty much create whatever shape you want to cover the large open fiberglass space AND you can provide a little lift for your speakers out and away from the sidewall to give yourself more room.

wotan2525
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
My boat came with the 6 1/2s mounted in some trim rings designed to get you more space. Here's some amazon 1" ones -> http://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-4300-Universal-Speaker-Brackets/dp/B0002BG6QY

WakeSurfCanada
06-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Great stuff guys, thanks for the input, I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to put together, but I'm sure as time goes on this can be a great resource for other guys looking to do something similar.

Keep em coming guys!

doc 1
06-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I think for the deck you should mount it in the dash or underneath the dash. So 'you' the driver can control it. And then you only need 1 remote on the transom.

rtpaxton2
07-11-2011, 11:15 PM
My boat came with the 6 1/2s mounted in some trim rings designed to get you more space. Here's some amazon 1" ones -> http://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-4300-Universal-Speaker-Brackets/dp/B0002BG6QY

You might also consider purchasing some acrylic from your local glass dealer, and create your own rings with a router. You can put some LEDs in the acrylic for an awesome effect!