PDA

View Full Version : Starter staying engaged

duckseatfree
06-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Ok...here it is again...86 351pcm.

The boat is starting up but the starter stays engaged...is it the starter relay?

It's wired because it wasn't an issue last week

jsandy
06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Starter relay. mine did the same thing its first startup this year then 2 weeks later the relay died on the water. 10 bucks from autozone

duckseatfree
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
That was my other question...does it have to be a maine one or is the autozone one ok?

jsandy
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
i just used auto. only parts by law in alabama that have to be marine are STARTER, DISTRIBUTER AND ALTERNATOR.

duckseatfree
06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok...just switched out the starter relay/selenoid and the starter is still staying engaged...what else could it be? That was the only thing I thought it could be

duckseatfree
06-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Ok...i feel like an idiot...had some wires crossed. Up and running

docdrs
06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Ok...i feel like an idiot...had some wires crossed. Up and running

Not an idiot ....this is sometimes the best way to learn and teach ....sometimes

whelchel86
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
If you haven't already, I would suggest that you invest in a battery quick disconnect. I started using them after my starter stuck on my first boat and caused the terminals on the cranking battery to melt the lead from the posts. I used wing nuts to connect the power and ground but they were glowing red hot and I couldn't disconnect them. So I started using these quick disconnects. I have had the starter stick since then on 2 other boats but no fire and I didn't have to buy new batteries. Just thought I would pass this on. I buy them at my local Walmart for about $4 each.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-SWAN-Terminal-Disconnect/16006670

ess3489
06-21-2011, 10:35 AM
i had the same thing go out last year, replaced the starter relay and it would keep trying to start, the start was always engaging. Switched some wires and thought i had the problem fixed however it was at the end of the season and i didnt have time to take the boat out, just got it out of storage and its as if the starter wont engage, it has a brand new battery however all i hear is a whinning or buzz coming from the starter. any suggestions or pics of your starter relay to make sure i have it hooked up right?

duckseatfree
06-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Ess,

I'll try to get a picture up...I actually think I have one on my phone (I had to remember where the wires went)

duckseatfree
06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Picture attached.

Note: the ground (goes to the starter) goes on the terminal on the right...I started to disconnect it but then decided to take a picture to remember where everything went

smoothfootn
06-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I replaced my starter this season and am having issues with it not engaging. There were no shims when I removed the old one. Any tips for getting it to engage everytime? It does it about about 1 out of 4 starts.
Thanks

curly
07-12-2011, 07:31 AM
I have the same thing happing to me. replace everything ! Still sometime will start and other times gets stuck on and can stop it by tapping solenoid. can anyone help ?

rludtke
07-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I replaced my starter this season and am having issues with it not engaging. There were no shims when I removed the old one. Any tips for getting it to engage everytime? It does it about about 1 out of 4 starts.
Thanks

Does the bendix drive succsesfully extend the starter gear out when the starter turns? You can watch the gear extend retract if you remove the starter and run it on the shop floor. If it does not, try lubricating the shaft with a dry graphite lubricant. Worse comes to worse the bendix drive can be replaced.

scottchapin
07-22-2011, 09:57 AM
88 Mariah with the same problem. Chased it down to the battery and block ground wire. I had cleaned them after reading that a bad ground could make this happen but didn't help. Then in messing with them I realized that the conection between the actual wire and the end clamp was bad. The end piece just twisted right off. Cleaned them up, pinched them back on real solid, taped them up and never a problem since.