PDA

View Full Version : trailer coupling...

mapleleaf
06-12-2011, 02:05 AM
After planning a weekend of fiberglass work I went to pick up the boat and smacked the coupling with the ball hard enough to warrant it's replacement, that and it was 20 yrs old and tired....So once the kids were in bed a friend and I headed over to my woodshop tonight to replace it. I bought a 2" ball 3500lb replacement coupling and grade 5 plated bolts planning on having it welded on, but the boat has to move by monday am, so for now I'm sure the bolts will do, if you disagree please let me know, any advice here would be great. Here are a few shots of the project< Next time I'm wearing pants......

haugy
06-12-2011, 05:44 PM
My old coupling was held on by bolts, and so is the new one. You will be fine.

wotan2525
06-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I think you'll be fine with just bolts, too. No brakes on your trailer??

rludtke
06-12-2011, 10:49 PM
It was designed for bolts, they'll work just fine. Mine is bolted on, I've had no issues. It will be easier to change next time than if it is welded.

sybrmike
06-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Pants & SAFETY GLASSES. I also cut off the welded & went back with bolted.

mapleleaf
06-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Pants & SAFETY GLASSES. I also cut off the welded & went back with bolted.

I see you paid attention to the photo's!!!! I totally agree, dragged her home tonight about 3 miles without any issues. Seems to be a new clanging sound coming from the trailer and seating the coupler on the ball for the first time took a little finessing (had me worried as my landlord doesn't like long term parking of rec. vehicles at my shop..)

mapleleaf
06-13-2011, 01:57 AM
I think you'll be fine with just bolts, too. No brakes on your trailer??

No brakes, came that way and the trailer used to be color matched to the boat so I know it was original. Its always kinda bugged me, but my truck has never really struggled woeing her up so I've left it alone...That and I leave lots of room!!!

wotan2525
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I suppose the trailer + weight of a conbrio is probably around 3000lbs? The brakes on my trailer have never worked either. It's not an issue pulling only a couple of miles round-trip to the launch, but it has been on my to-do list for 6+ years now. Hopefully this summer there will be an opportunity to drop the boat in for a weekend and rehab the trailer.

rludtke
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
My trailer's brakes did not work when I aquired it. Rather than overhaul the original drum system, I threw them out for an aftermarket disc system. It was much easier in the long run than trying to find the right brake shoes, springs, clips etc. The discs work well, bolted right on with no trouble.

mapleleaf
06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
My trailer's brakes did not work when I aquired it. Rather than overhaul the original drum system, I threw them out for an aftermarket disc system. It was much easier in the long run than trying to find the right brake shoes, springs, clips etc. The discs work well, bolted right on with no trouble.

Any chance you've got an Eagle trailer? I had always thought disc's would be a good upgrade....

rludtke
06-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Any chance you've got an Eagle trailer? I had always thought disc's would be a good upgrade....

It's an old DHL trailer. I have replaced both axles with axles from trailerparts.com, and retrofitted Kodiak disc brakes to it: http://www.trailerpart.com/adddiscbrakes.htm

Trailerparts.com has proven to be a good source for heavy duty trailer parts.

mapleleaf
06-22-2011, 01:26 AM
looks awesome! Thanks for the link, Are those electric or surge? I forgot to look!

DAFF
06-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Maple, have the same trailer on my Comp. No brakes on the single axle, seems allittle heavy at times but within the MTO safety standards. Trailer is actually made by Supra ....

jaywidhalm
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I would personally still weld on the coupler, not so much for strength, but for theft. I work in law enforcement and see a ton of boat trailers and snowmobile trailers (and their contents) stolen. They target the ones that are just bolted on since it is so easy to undo the bolts, and put their own coupler on. Pretty easy deterent to weld it, if it saves your trailer and/or boat,gear etc from being hauled off. Just something to think about.

rludtke
06-22-2011, 09:00 PM
looks awesome! Thanks for the link, Are those electric or surge? I forgot to look!

The discs can be operated by either electric/hydraulic or surge. I have a relatively new surge coupling, also purchased from trailerparts.com.