PDA

View Full Version : GPS speedometers?

cadunkle
06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
GPS speedometer? Anyone swap out to a GPS speedometer? What did you use? Do they make any with an integral receiver? I'd prefer an analog display that matches the rest of the gauges as best as possible.

I'm considering getting one since my pitot speedo is worthless in the river I ride on. I did recently buy PP, but the paddlewheel is inaccurate above 30-35 MPH and it has ongoing issues I'm trying to work through with their tech support. Just would be nice to see my speed accurately at higher speeds as well as have an accurate speedo to verify and calibrate the PP from time to time at slack tide.

Sluggo
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
If just temporary, yank the GPS from our car. I think some folks have even mounted a regular or marine GPS unit on the windshield support post. I have been taking the one out of my van with me on larger lakes I am not familiar with and setup points like where the rental house is or where the houseboat is parked etc...

Hagman
06-13-2011, 05:22 PM
If your PP is a newer model there mite be a GPS up grade

cadunkle
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I used the a car GPS to calibrate the paddlewheel the first time out... It actually seemed to be dead on. A car GPS is big, clunky, and ugly though. I want a proper speedo mounted in the dash.

Hagman, I just bought this PP a month or two ago and got the paddlewheel version since I am always on a tidal river or other tidal areas. There is almost always a current except for about 30-45 minutes around slack tide when it's relatively still, but the current can be as strong at 6-8 or more MPH depending on position of the moon, recent rains, and wind direction. GPS is great, but not ideal where I ride. The river is also fairly murky and clogs my pitot every time out.

96Comp
06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Replaced one of my speedos with a PP Stargazer. It reads as a speedo when not in use and definately when in use. Best upgrade I ever made. After i put it in, the pitot tube to the speedo started leaking. Guess i picked the wrong one to discnnect! I dropped the $$$ for the PP GPS speedo. Damn the dash looks nice! They both work great and i have great satellite coverage where i live.

Diggs
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
If you run a river all the time you might want to stick with a paddlewheel unless you go the same direction each time and you just account for the speed. GPS is worse on rivers. We run a river with a much slower current and we typically have to adjust speed each direction or just live with the difference. When you are running a ton of weight it can be tough.

cadunkle
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
My speedometer is not a paddlewheel, it's a pitot. Since the river I ride is murky and has lots of sediment my pitot always plugs up and the speedo is worthless.

The PP is a paddlewheel, I bought is specifically because I ride on a river with strong currents. The paddlewheel doesn't work over low-mid 30s as the readings become erratic. My boat is knocking on 50 MPH so the paddlewheel doesn't cut it for that. A separate issue is the PP display goes blank after the boat is running for 10-15 minutes. I'm working with PP to resolve that and they've been helpful and no hassle so far. Although the PP GPS speedo seems well prices this issue with my PP makes me leery of using them for another speedo. Also I want an analog display, I don't care for digital.

Bottom line is I want a reliable speedo. GPS seems like the best option. I don't care if it's off by however fast the tide is moving in or out. At slack tide it'll be dead on. I want one that will work reliably at all speeds. Pitot and paddlewheel don't seem to be working for me.

chrisk
06-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Here's a link to the Moomba forum where someone upgraded their existing perfect pass that resulted in a GPS-driven analog speedo gauge.

http://moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?p=143671#post143671

96Comp
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Like I said, both of mine are GPS, the PP Stargazer and the PP GPS speedo. Love them! If the satellites ever fail, i'll be guessing my speed!!!

wolff
06-17-2011, 04:53 PM
My friends boat is the gps version we have to ride a different speed up the river as to down the river. The speed can range from 3 to 7 mph. We ride on the Mississippi and Illinois river.

He hates the gps version and is checking on changing