PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buddy

Tim405
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Do they still put these on the new trailers?
My New / used boat came with one... after a few lake trips I removed it and threw it in the trash... It kept flipping up exposing the metal - and I'd hit it dead on and it wouldn't engage... IMO they are trash ( my opinion -not speaking for anyone else) - but someone else may like the heck outta them -- I prefer simple and old school... maybe I'm wrong...? any thoughts? I do however love my big, gigantic new yellow roller and safety chain...!!!

rludtke
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
I don't have one, and don't kow why it is needed. If I put the right amount of trailer in the water, the boat will not float away. It must be driven off the trailer. Same for loading. Drive it on the bunks, and it will stay. Pull it the last couple of inches with the winch, and off I go. I load and unload myself- no help needed.

Tim405
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
I agree - I've been a boat owner for about 20 years - and this thing in the few times last week I used it - thoroughly aggravated me... I spend less time on the ramp w/o it... which is about 30 seconds either way .

cmtaylor777
06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
In my opinion.... Great concept, Just too many varibles to make it work properly. If you don't believe me, ask Gravity08.

Tim405
06-13-2011, 07:21 PM
well - it flipping up and exposing trailer steel to my gelcoat seemed really unnecessary and complicated and disasterous to me - I got a widdle scwatch!!!
and I was sick!!! - yup too complicated.... I needed sum'n more "Marine Proof" - so roller we got!
any thoughts on the wet axle hubs? the new boat has em - I seem to think they may be alright - esp after the 976 mile tow home from buyin that boat last week... ya'll familiar with those? I had never seen em being from the grease gun generation...

tg0824SSVGG
06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
On the other hand, 98% of the time -- I LOVE mine. There are quite a few variables to it working just right however ...

My trailer (08) also has the "wet hubs" ... jury is still out, but I DO NOT miss the axle grease gun, and the grease flinging all over the wheels.

KY Steve
06-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Boat Buddy is garbage, I pitched mine after a couple of uses and added a roller...much happier.

The oil bath hubs are great, one thing you need to be careful with is when checking the fluid in the site glass make sure there is no water in them. The water will separate or could look milky. I'll never own a boat trailer with grease hubs again.

KG's Supra24
06-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I haven't had that much problem with my boat buddy. I have noticed if I visit new ramps I have to be careful as it really depends on the angle of the ramp on whether or not the boat nose is going to clear the boat buddy height wise. Guess I got lucky on the ramps I visit most often.

jet
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Gravity 08' prob..cost him $1500 to fix the through holes his put in his boat. Not good!

Diggs
06-14-2011, 03:29 PM
My opinion is it is definitely an experience thing. I have heard a few stories on here with guys that had the 24SSV and made some mods to their trailers, but any of the 22's and 21's I have owned have been perfect. Really the bottom line is if your boat is not going in on it right you have your trailer to deep. I watch people at the ramp every day and everyone is scared to drive their boat on their bunks. They go too deep. I have had several of them and never had a problem unless I have a buddy driving and then he might slam to hard and bend a pin. It is the fastest easiest invention. We smoke anyone at the dock with loading and unloading. My boat does not have one this year cause it was accidently ordered without, but I would always go back. With that said, I can see why so many people have issues with them. Dealers should take each boat buyer out and show them how to do it properly. Also you must know your ramp cause different approach angles can change it. This topic really has been talked about a ton over the years and it is always a love hate deal. Sounds like even more people are hating them these days.

KG's Supra24
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Really the bottom line is if your boat is not going in on it right you have your trailer to deep. I watch people at the ramp every day and everyone is scared to drive their boat on their bunks. They go too deep. Also you must know your ramp cause different approach angles can change it.

That pretty much summarizes the boat buddy. If you can handle these two things, I think you will grow to love it.

My buddy backs my truck down, 1 inch over the fenders I pull the boat on, click, and up the ramp we go.

KY Steve
06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
That pretty much summarizes the boat buddy. If you can handle these two things, I think you will grow to love it.

My buddy backs my truck down, 1 inch over the fenders I pull the boat on, click, and up the ramp we go.

This was my set up straight from the factory, notice the amount of weight the bow puts on the b.b. which marked up the hull. The ramp didn't make the difference, it was how the boat fit after it was loaded. KG, I wonder if something is set up different on your trailer?

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/toolsail/Launch24/Boat_Buddy.jpg

This is what I changed it to:

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz327/toolsail/Launch24/DSC04303_small.jpg

spankster
06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Do they still put these on the new trailers?
My New / used boat came with one...

To answer your original question, my 2010 boat mate trailer came set up exactly the same as KY Steve's new setup. No Boat buddy...

cmtaylor777
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
My opinion is it is definitely an experience thing. I have heard a few stories on here with guys that had the 24SSV and made some mods to their trailers, but any of the 22's and 21's I have owned have been perfect. Really the bottom line is if your boat is not going in on it right you have your trailer to deep. I watch people at the ramp every day and everyone is scared to drive their boat on their bunks. They go too deep. I have had several of them and never had a problem unless I have a buddy driving and then he might slam to hard and bend a pin. It is the fastest easiest invention. We smoke anyone at the dock with loading and unloading. My boat does not have one this year cause it was accidently ordered without, but I would always go back. With that said, I can see why so many people have issues with them. Dealers should take each boat buyer out and show them how to do it properly. Also you must know your ramp cause different approach angles can change it. This topic really has been talked about a ton over the years and it is always a love hate deal. Sounds like even more people are hating them these days.

Like I said.... Too many varibles. No dock is the same. Angles are always different and the slightest difference could create a situation that could make it easy to do real damage.

With that said.... Mine is still on the boat. Damn I'm lazy!!!!

jonyb
06-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Boat Buddy's are junk. I don't care if you've got 150 years of experience, they're crap! They're not made for these big heavier boats, they're made for bass boats that weigh half as much, that's why Cabela's sells them. Rollers are just fine, all you do is pull up on the trailer with it deep enough to hold the boat when you pull back the throttle, then go up there, hook it, and winch a little. I put the bow eye on the roller everytime I load my boat and it's a whole lot easier then that BB crap. When the BB was on there, the truck would start pulling up, and the bow eye would pull against the pin. I'd almost never get the pin back out, I'd always have to get the trailer so deep that the boat was completely off the bunks.

I'm sooooo happy with a roller on my trailer now.

doofus
06-16-2011, 12:43 AM
I consider myself pretty damn good at reversing my trailer down the ramp and then getting my boat on / off the trailer, and to be honest, when retrieving the boat back on the trailer, the stupid boat buddy works less that 50% of the time...(and yes we drive the boat all the way right up the trailer skids)

I just dont bother using it any more.....

Monroeyd
06-16-2011, 02:27 AM
I definately like and use my BB all the time. Got a 24SSV too. It's really great when the launch is packed. Back down trailer, drive boat on trailer, click, pull-out. Than use the winch to pull off the pin. In and out in a flash. I even leave extra weight in the bow. Happy boating!

dusty2221
06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Our 20 had a roller, the 24 has a BB, it will be replaced shortly. I can't stand the amount of pressure it has on the bow as it runs up it, the roller was nothing like that. I'm right there with KY Steve

Tim405
06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
I think we mostly share the same opinion - or we are equally unskilled with the technology!! nice to know I have the same issues with it as everyone else.. LOL
on another related topic I ordered some gel paste my paint vendor here at my shop recommended ( To fix the Boat Buddy Related scratch) - Spectrum Color - they have color codes for most anything ( mine came right up on the 05' - and it's already on its way...33 bucks- 2 oz paste... www.spectrumcolor.com
but... most of you salty folks prob knew this already...

iwakeboard
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
I've got a 24SSV and I had Boatmate replace my Boat Buddy with a roller, they also lowered the bow stop for me 2 inches. It seems that 24's sit a little high on the bow stop as is. My Boat Buddy got absolutely destroyed after two summers of 150+ hour usage, and it rarely locked and if it did lock it'd pin the bow stop against the BB pin. It used to be a difficult boat to load but now it is as it should be, takes little to no effort to load.